• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  

chara   

Two factors raised a question in my mind regarding any approach to setting up Chelsea (or any side..used Chelsea to keep on the Chelsea Forums!)

First factor was temps here yesterday on our deck..basking in 32C sunshine ...now we have snow and minus5C prompting an early fire and stay in day!

Second factor was Droy using the Charlton brothers as an example for comparing players etc...I appreciate that it was not an issue and only an example but it got me pondering.

If you were Frank (or any coach),,given a choice of using a Jack type player at his peak or Bobby type player at his peak....only choice of one..which type player would you use as the bedrock of your basic team set up and ongoing philosophy?

JaneB   

Interesting Chara but I shall need a think 🤔 

I'd build the team around John Terry at his peak, read the game like Moore, hard like Charlton. The best centre half this country has ever had. 

I'd favour the carthorse over the thoroughbred every time. 

Kick 'em into submission. 

Edited by Mark Kelly

3 hours ago, chara said:

Second factor was Droy using the Charlton brothers as an example for comparing players etc...I appreciate that it was not an issue and only an example but it got me pondering.

I was actually thinking that Brother 3, Tommy, is best.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44071711#:~:text=Tommy Charlton is set to,and Leeds great Jack%2C 83.

• Like 1

chara   
15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'd build the team around John Terry at his peak, read the game like Moore, hard like Charlton. The best centre half this country has ever had. 

I'd favour the carthorse over the thoroughbred every time. 

Kick 'em into submission. 

Hmm..not a stance I can argue with ,you and I are surely the sophisticates here!

My dilemma always was "Do I want a rock solid defence in front of me..protecting me and any undeserved rep I may have had...not worrying too much about a lot of goals the other end, just enough to win."..or "Do I want a free scoring forward line that gives me room for my inevitable mistakes" ?

Oh and whilst I agree wholeheartedly about JT....and I'm sure it was a reference to JT in comparision but I would think "warhorse 'was what you meant.

9 hours ago, chara said:

Hmm..not a stance I can argue with ,you and I are surely the sophisticates here!

My dilemma always was "Do I want a rock solid defence in front of me..protecting me and any undeserved rep I may have had...not worrying too much about a lot of goals the other end, just enough to win."..or "Do I want a free scoring forward line that gives me room for my inevitable mistakes" ?

Oh and whilst I agree wholeheartedly about JT....and I'm sure it was a reference to JT in comparision but I would think "warhorse 'was what you meant.

Oh yes, the carthorse bit was in general , I want someone to get stuck in , Terry was sublime in his pomp a thoroughbred with heart.

Sciatika   
11 hours ago, chara said:

I just want them to cut out the silly errors in defence. If someone scores a good goal against us, you just have to hold your hands up. Equally, when a ball bounces off someone's arse (or their face) you put it down to the Gods. I think that if we cut out the silly ones we might be competitive provided our forwards put their chances away.

Edited by Sciatika

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I just want them to cut out the silly errors in defence. If someone scores a good goal against us, you just have to hold your hands up. Equally, when a ball bounces off someone's arse (or their face) you put it down to the Gods. I think that if we cut out the silly ones we might be competitive provided our forwards put their chances away.

I want them to look like they practiced this in training.  Same with set-pieces.

JaneB   

This is an interesting topic that has crossed my mind quite a bit over the years.

I couldn't agree more about JT and I honestly think that having a first class defence in place (oh for those days) is the best starting point for a great team, especially if your captain is at the heart of it.  

You can have a mad, exciting, entertaining team scoring lots of goals but if the defence behind them isn't up to the task, it all feels a bit hollow.

Your strikers can have off periods when the goals dry up, although hopefully not all at once, but the defence has to be up to it every single game, otherwise, as we know, disaster strikes.

And come to think of it, watching top class defenders CAN be entertaining too.  When I used to watch JT and Lord Percy at Stamford Bridge, it was a thing of beauty!!

bert19   
44 minutes ago, JaneB said:

This is an interesting topic that has crossed my mind quite a bit over the years.

I couldn't agree more about JT and I honestly think that having a first class defence in place (oh for those days) is the best starting point for a great team, especially if your captain is at the heart of it.  

You can have a mad, exciting, entertaining team scoring lots of goals but if the defence behind them isn't up to the task, it all feels a bit hollow.

Your strikers can have off periods when the goals dry up, although hopefully not all at once, but the defence has to be up to it every single game, otherwise, as we know, disaster strikes.

And come to think of it, watching top class defenders CAN be entertaining too.  When I used to watch JT and Lord Percy at Stamford Bridge, it was a thing of beauty!!

1995/96 Newcastle immediately spring to mind.  Blew a 10 point lead due to their rock & roll football slowing up and their defence leaking more than a detached radiator pipe.  

I'm all for attacking flair, but no team is winning the title without having a decent goalie and defence.  We all know that for top sides, there are days when it clicks and you score 4, 5 or 6, but there are plenty of times where you need to be able to see out a 1-0 or 2-1 - especially away from home.  

Ball-playing defenders and playing out from the back is a lovely thing to do, but sometimes the blunt basics of hoofing the ball out for a throw-in over the halfway line or straight into the upper tier of the crowd is fine.  I'd like to see a bit more of the latter from us this season.