• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 2

Holymoly   

If Pulisic isn't ready to start I'd be inclined to put Giroud up top with Werner and CHO either side and Mount just behind. Stiffen defense with Kante and Kovacic, job's a good'un. I fear they will end up winning with contentious decisions however.

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Both league games last season we were behind before the seats were warm. Keep it tight early. 

The touch paper is already been lite for this one with the recent comments by both coaches, You can guarantee the king of the dippers will be going for the jugular from the start.

You can see henderson or milner if he plays trying to put Werner into row Z early doors, maybe Havertz too.

Kepa

James-Christensen-Zouma-Azpilicueta

Kante-Jorginho-Kovacic

Havertz-Werner-Mount

I have no idea on the availability of Silva, Chilwell, Ziyech or Pulisic so just going with who we know is definitely available. 

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Kepa

James-Christensen-Zouma-Azpilicueta

Kante-Jorginho-Kovacic

Havertz-Werner-Mount

I have no idea on the availability of Silva, Chilwell, Ziyech or Pulisic so just going with who we know is definitely available. 

I don't see us playing Jorginho Kante and Kovacic together - it just doesn't work as we miss creativity and Kovacic's best assets are too similar to Jorginho's and Kante's.
Sarri did it a lot , but that was  due to the failure of RLC or Barkley to grab the No 8 shirt.  Lampard has rarely played Kovacic at 8.  

I thought Jorginho was good on Monday.  I think he is a first team regular this season though some might need some further persuading.  However one option to include Kovacic after suspension would be in his place.
Kante seems either to have returned to full fitness or at least  found a way of playing that allows a more mortal body to play effectively.

And while I have no idea what RLC or Barkley were supposed to be doing at Brighton, it was clear that Mount was No8 and they were playing an AM role (and not the other way around as often last year).  With the new players in the squad I'd like to think that only Mount or Harvetz or Ziyech will be considered at 8.

33 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't see us playing Jorginho Kante and Kovacic together - it just doesn't work as we miss creativity and Kovacic's best assets are too similar to Jorginho's and Kante's.
Sarri did it a lot , but that was  due to the failure of RLC or Barkley to grab the No 8 shirt.  Lampard has rarely played Kovacic at 8.  

I thought Jorginho was good on Monday.  I think he is a first team regular this season though some might need some further persuading.  However one option to include Kovacic after suspension would be in his place.
Kante seems either to have returned to full fitness or at least  found a way of playing that allows a more mortal body to play effectively.

And while I have no idea what RLC or Barkley were supposed to be doing at Brighton, it was clear that Mount was No8 and they were playing an AM role (and not the other way around as often last year).  With the new players in the squad I'd like to think that only Mount or Harvetz or Ziyech will be considered at 8.

Its not something I would do very often but feel that with Pulisic and Ziyech potentially not being able available that is our strongest possible line up.

If the choice is Kovacic, RLC or Barkley then it is a no brainer for me.

If either Ziyech or Pulisic can play then I'd quite simply swap Kovacic with Mount or Havertz. 

Agree with both Jorginho, I'm sure your aware I'm a big fan, and Kante, let's just hope he is back to somewhere near his best, the whole team will benefit massively but especially Jorginho. 

43 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

Its not something I would do very often but feel that with Pulisic and Ziyech potentially not being able available that is our strongest possible line up.

If either Ziyech or Pulisic can play then I'd quite simply swap Kovacic with Mount or Havertz. 

Agree with both Jorginho, I'm sure your aware I'm a big fan, and Kante, let's just hope he is back to somewhere near his best, the whole team will benefit massively but especially Jorginho. 

Cannot see why either of you thought Jorginho had a good game on Monday. He certainly was not bad, but I don't see how his performance qualifies as good either.

His job in the team is to try and control the game, more specifically control that midfield area with his passing ability and keep the ball moving. That is his biggest asset really.

Whilst the formation looked odd and unbalanced at times, more so in attack. He didn't really get control of the game for the team, I think he was actually very quiet and ineffective during the game. The Brighton midfield were the team that had control of the midfield area for large portions of the game. Kante stepped up his performance in the 2nd half to try and regain some control. I have not checked any stats on this, but I felt Jorginho had less impact and less touches of the ball as almost at any other stage of his Chelsea career so far.

23 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Well quite.  More than a no brainer, the latter two don't really have a role in the main part of the squad, they are 4th and 5th choice for 1 position.
I spent a decade or so complaining about 20 man squads at Chelsea, especially when momentum falters, but I am not going to be arguing the case for 28 man squads.

16 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Cannot see why either of you thought Jorginho had a good game on Monday. He certainly was not bad, but I don't see how his performance qualifies as good either.

I reckon it might take a while for people to see his importance - after all many convinced themselves he was dropped because of form last year..

Out of interest did anyone spot who won the ball to feed Werner for the penalty?
My stream/screen wasn't great and no one seems to have mentioned who it was.

24 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

The Brighton midfield were the team that had control of the midfield area for large portions of the game.

Isn't that normal against a team that tries to do its ball-winning off the back 4?

35 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

His job in the team is to try and control the game, more specifically control that midfield area with his passing ability and keep the ball moving. That is his biggest asset really.

Whilst the formation looked odd and unbalanced at times, more so in attack. He didn't really get control of the game for the team, I think he was actually very quiet and ineffective during the game. The Brighton midfield were the team that had control of the midfield area for large portions of the game. Kante stepped up his performance in the 2nd half to try and regain some control. I have not checked any stats on this, but I felt Jorginho had less impact and less touches of the ball as almost at any other stage of his Chelsea career so far.

I thought he was good, but I nearly always do. We didn't have as much of the ball as Brighton, that's probably the reason he maybe had less touches of the ball than normal but what he did he did well but he always does.

Rob B   
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Out of interest did anyone spot who won the ball to feed Werner for the penalty?
My stream/screen wasn't great and no one seems to have mentioned who it was.

Yes - clearly it was Jorginho.  But he almost ballsed that up to be honest and was only bailed out by Werners incredible speed over 10 yards.  Even Lampard said in his post match interview, he did well to get on the end of it as the ball was “overcooked”

I’m not anti-Jorginho, he’s a very good player and an even better penalty taker and communicator, but we can’t pretend he had a good game on Monday.  We were awful, and only a few players can hold their head high.

Given Liverpool’s pace and power in midfield, I’m expecting a trio of Kante, Kovacic and Mount this weekend. 

11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well quite.  More than a no brainer, the latter two don't really have a role in the main part of the squad, they are 4th and 5th choice for 1 position.
I spent a decade or so complaining about 20 man squads at Chelsea, especially when momentum falters, but I am not going to be arguing the case for 28 man squads.

I reckon it might take a while for people to see his importance - after all many convinced themselves he was dropped because of form last year..

Not sure that he will change many minds, if you can't already see what he offers you never will.

I've always found it strange when people have a pop at a player for not being something else. Is Jorginho like Kante without the ball? Cleary not but I dont see many having a pop at Kante for the opposite reason.