• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 2

GURJ SS   
2 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Deserves it.

Timo also came in from Germany - and looks terrific.

Havertz should be held to the same standards that RLC is held up to - or CHO.

And he has been very poor. I am talking first touch, timing of his passes, work-rate - things that you should see from a player regardless of where he came from.

I agree, at the very least look energetic and excited to be at a new club, be eager to impress and showcase what you're capable of, looks like he's 37 years old and gone back to his 2nd division boyhood club after 15 years playing at various top clubs.

Terrific save off a deflection by the er Keeper at the end, and another save to follow.

All in all this was not a bad performance - without the red card and if the pen went in, it would have been very close.
We did have quite a few H1 chances too.  And unlike the 5-3 at the end of last season we did at least start off with tactics that gave us a chance.
Lots of things do worry me though, perhaps not mention in the light of this performance though.

It looks like Werner is being thought of as a twin striker rather than a conventional no9.
Havertz might need some time.

Diddymen   
3 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

I've been watching Havertz for a couple of years. I do not know what on earth made Lampard come to the conclusion that he should be playing as a false nine. In fact, I cannot remember a time that the false nine has worked for us. 

What a joke.

What’s his position?

6 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Timo also came in from Germany - and looks terrific.

Havertz should be held to the same standards that RLC is held up to - or CHO.

And he has been very poor. I am talking first touch, timing of his passes, work-rate - things that you should see from a player regardless of where he came from.

There has been the odd touch of brilliance - by the standards that RLC is held up to on here, Havertz is a must start..

Some of the comments in here are typically absurd. But the Lampard as manager debate is an interesting one that will undoubtedly continue until (if) he wins trophies. Can anyone say for sure that he's a top manager? Of course not. He's a former player with two years worth of management under his belt (the first of which was in the Championship) and statistically it's probably not probable that he'll prove to be the right man for Chelsea (god knows, we've been through enough managers with far more experience who didn't make the grade). But I do think the sneering treatment he's been getting is over the top and I'm sure that his persona has had as much to do with this notion that he's a Tim Sherwood tactically more than the actual performances. Regardless, I still think it's hard to argue with the idea that the jury is very much still out. With six new additions he'll be judged this season and rightly so. But I'd like to actually give him that time before making that judgment. Using a Liverpool match when we were without several surefire starters and down to 10 for the second half is silly.

Edited by Bridge Soldier
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Its like doomsday on here. As if people expected us to batter them and have it easy. Very odd. 

It's because what was feared would happen, happened. 

Christensen did a Christensen we all saw it coming but the manager can't / won't. Tomori is twice the player. 

Kepa did a Kepa and 98% of us saw it coming. Today was peak Kepa made some decent saves, charged out of his area twice and threw one in and everyone saw it happening except for SFL. 

JaneB   
11 minutes ago, Sir said:

Quite. Would prefer Lampard as an ambassador or something if anything. 

He doesn't want to be an ambassador 'or something'.

He wants to prove himself as a manager.  Whether he succeeds or not is another matter but at least he's giving it a go.  He was never going to turn down this job.

But the vultures are circling already but you can't make a decision after two games.  So many other factors at play. 

5 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

He played 9 games as a CF and scored 7 times from that position last season. 

Yeah he had a stint as an out and out forward but that was not the same system as was asked of him today.

Either way I'm certain he'll prove himself but he won't work as a false nine in this team.