• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 2

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Ah, I see. I guess the idea was still to keep it tight as long as possible.... Didn't work. The second goal came so quickly 

Yep. 

I think we sold ourselves short though personally. 

10 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I thought we looked fine as a defensive unit. Did they have a shot on target before half time? AC played his part but like Kepa , he's a moment away from a bad/awful mistake. 

Zouma was faultless. 

Can't disagree with the bolded bit. I also thought Tomori looked pretty solid when we came on. Another notable thing is we were a lot better at defending from set pieces too. Hopefully those blunders are gone from the team now.

10 minutes ago, Ham said:

Go back a frame and you'll see what caused him to wrap his arms around. "Clever" by Mane.  

Still silly from AC. You're right though, I think there was a trip ( I just rewatched it) but AC should have just fallen and taken Mane with him But without the arms. On VAR it looks a red all day long. 

I also think Kepa was way too far out in no mans land. He also misjudged that ball across pen that he went scampering after and missed.  The goal was horrific. He could see Mane clearly...what was he doing???

Surely kepa is finished after this match.. 

The VAR was a clear red card and silly to even attempt to argue else. The ref had nowhere to go from the video evidence . We played well but missing the -soft- penalty killed us off..

Rob B   

Tomori looked very good when he came on to be fair.  Our actual defending, including set pieces has been much improved in the last two games.

Werner looks sharp as a knife too.  We’ll be fine this season 

bert19   
35 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm non plussed really, we set up to not lose, we played to pinch one on the break. You can argue against it but on another day it may have worked. 

Christensen and Kepa both reverted to type, both aren't good enough for this level and ruined Lampards gameplan. 

Although, personally I don't think he or any of the coaching side, are entirely up to it just yet but  I suppose you have to wait until Pulisic, Ziyech Chilwell and Silva are fit before you judge. They're learning on the Job too. 

It could well end in tears myself but hope it doesn't. 

Werner looks a player but funnily enough can't do everything on his own. Havertz has been poorly used so far so the jury is out, looks like he has something about him though but maybe not as a false nine against Liverpool eh? 

The three midfielders was one too many, you don't need Jorginho and Kova, I'd be selling Jorginho all day long. 

Agree with all of this. 

I said weeks ago that we should be selling at least one of Christensen and Rudiger. AC definitely showed us why today. He’s not up to scratch at all. Too many deficiencies to exploit and he makes individual errors to add to them. 

I genuinely can’t see how and why Kepa has started the first two games either. Just try to get him a loan now, it’s doing no one any good at all him being involved at this point. The second goal was yet another mess. What was he doing? 

Reece wasn’t blameless on the first either. Didn’t look for Mane at all. 

Jorginho missing that penalty like that summed his level up for me. He just doesn’t give us enough in these big games. There’s a time and a place for that hop, skip and trying to bamboozle the keeper. 0-2, 10 men with 15 mins left isn’t it. Just pick a corner and hit the ball hard into it. Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be. 

6 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Tomori looked very good when he came on to be fair.  Our actual defending, including set pieces has been much improved in the last two games.

Werner looks sharp as a knife too.  We’ll be fine this season 

I think so too Rob. In some ways the Kepa calamity might well have distilled things in Lampards mind. This is a good thing. We may have lost the game anyway , so this could be a useful calamity( if there is such a thing). 

14 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Jorginho missing that penalty like that summed his level up for me. He just doesn’t give us enough in these big games. There’s a time and a place for that hop, skip and trying to bamboozle the keeper. 0-2, 10 men with 15 mins left isn’t it. Just pick a corner and hit the ball hard into it. Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be. 

His Pen record has been excellent but I'm never confident with that roll into the corner ploy. Freaks me out if I'm honest. A goal at that point would have made things very interesting ( even with 10 men). And lets not forget we went 50 mins with 10 men conceding just one goal ( I can't count Kepas aboration) and we missed a pen. This is against the champions who are very settled and us not settled with lots of injuries and lots of new players. It really could have been worse . Annoyed but not despondent. 

Edited by NoblyBobly

No real problems with the tactics from the start. If anything, it showed a little progress as we just tried out playing teams and coming up short last season. Utd being the obvious games. I don’t mind a more pragmatic approach in certain games to get the right result.

Trouble is things were let down by unreliable players. Lamps has to stop putting faith in players who will not take us any further. Christensen has had some many chances now, it’s constantly one step forward the two steps back.

Jorginho is clearly a talented footballer, but we won’t progress with him. You cannot challenge for a title in England playing Jorginho, unless he was serious talented athletes around him.

Early days for Havertz , but at the minute it’s like we are playing with 10 men including him. He is not ready for PL football and needs introducing slowly like Pulisic was. 

I turned off on the hour, had a feeling it was going to get messy. 

I get Werner is our main man now and future no 9. However, we all seen how effective a player Giroud is for us since turn of the year. I find it odd he suddenly is back on the bench. In fact, I find it slightly naive . If there is one thing that will help Werner settle and get used to PL football and give him more space, it’s playing off Giroud and letting him do the donkey work for Werner. 

I just think it’s a very naive call by Frank to not use him to help bed Werner in. He’s looked pretty decent so far, I guarantee he will look an even bigger threat having Giroud up there with him. 

Ham   
28 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

Surely kepa is finished after this match.. 

The VAR was a clear red card and silly to even attempt to argue else. The ref had nowhere to go from the video evidence . We played well but missing the -soft- penalty killed us off..

Aside from disagreeing on AC deliberately fouling Mane, I'm certain that if the roles were reversed, VAR wouldn't have made the same decision. They've have used Allison clearing the ball away as mitigation to give the yellow and everyone would have agreed and we'd have all moved on.