• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 2

bert19   
7 minutes ago, Ham said:

Aside from disagreeing on AC deliberately fouling Mane, I'm certain that if the roles were reversed, VAR wouldn't have made the same decision. They've have used Allison clearing the ball away as mitigation to give the yellow and everyone would have agreed and we'd have all moved on.  

It was a red. VAR just confirmed what we really knew already. He got caught out of position (again), panicked and made an absolute balls of it. It was closer to a rugby tackle than a football one.
If the roles had been reversed, we’d have expected a red as well.  This wasn’t one going against us, it was clear. I can’t see a defence for him 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Zouma looks the real deal to me

(and talk elsewhere about Jorginho).

Trouble is that under SFL we really are still playing Sarri football, inviting the press and trying to play our way out of it.  It puts an awful lot of pressure on our back players and keeper - we get a lot of goals from applying a press, and we can concede a lot too.

The only players that we have had who excel at this football are Luiz and Jorginho (and it seems Frank was happy to get rid of both).  FFS he even played Kante as playmaker for a few games.

Either give up the Sarriball/pinball from the back and just go long a lot more - then you can get rid of Jorginho, play Zouma as much as you want and start Giroud.
Or we stick to the script and Jorginho is absolutely essential and Zouma has to be dropped.

Zouma is worth twice as much to an Everton as he is to a top 3 club.
Jorginho less than half as much.

chara   

OK...have decided as best I can I will not comment on games until 24hrs have past.....easy to say at beginning of a new season but we will see!

So.....no comment on game as such...ok Droy will comment on your Kepa question tomorrow sometime although have some pressing business in town so may be a bit later.

Now...there are to my mind four main "bad" incidents in any game that can and usually do decide the game.....

Keeper gives a freebie....red card...and missed penalty....all in agreement more or less? (Being of a superstitious nature I will not list my "fourth" bad.}

Chelsea had all the listed three in one game against a very strong settled top side.....can anyone seriously nominate an EPL side that would have fared better given the events?, 

Lets hope that this game has taken some of the curses out for a while and once all players are available a proper judgement can be made of a rebuilding period.

Keep calm gentlemen and ladies..long way to go.

2 hours ago, DannyLB said:

Playing in ten men for an entire half against the league champions and people are asking if Lampard is up to the task. Pick your timing better with your agenda. 

People not reviewing the game in totality. The fact is, regardless of the personnel decisions (including the much maligned Kepa), we were comfortable and arguably in control albeit from a defensive perspective in the first half until Christensen was caught napping and gave up the red card. This is one area where Silva might have made the difference arguably as I feel that lack of communication between Christensen and Zouma meant that both our CBs were caught too high up and were both on the same or similar 'line'.  If one pushes up tp mark, the other should drop back to cover unless of course you are relying on your goalie to sweep. This needs sorting out on the training pitch.

The second half for me was always about concentration and focus defensively. You can't lose your man especially in the 18. James found out the hard way. Kepa then decided to gift them an extra goal - only to ironically drastically improve as a goalie with two brilliant saves that have meant nothing due to the loss and his prior gift to Mane. 

The key is patience due to the injuries and hopefully winning games along the way. Havertz will improve. Hopefully CHO and Lampard will sort themselves out. And on a positive note, hopefully Tomori gets to stay and hold onto a shirt in the regular rotation.

Holymoly   
31 minutes ago, chara said:

Keep calm gentlemen and ladies..long way to go.

It just sticks in my craw that the scum have a fundamentally better team than we do.

We are really missing Captain America and hopefully Silva too but time will tell on that one. Similarly Chilwell although I have a fear we may have another Drinkwater on our hands, starts off injured and never gets going. I'd also like to see Ziyech available, what is going on with conditioning dept over the last 18 month?. We used to have very few injuries, now they drop like flies and linger for weeks. Oh, and a new keeper is desperately needed. Kepa is a busted flush and unlikely ever to recover with us. 

Like I said, I hate we're not as good as Pool.

chara   
2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

It just sticks in my craw that the scum have a fundamentally better team than we do.

We are really missing Captain America and hopefully Silva too but time will tell on that one. Similarly Chilwell although I have a fear we may have another Drinkwater on our hands, starts off injured and never gets going. I'd also like to see Ziyech available, what is going on with conditioning dept over the last 18 month?. We used to have very few injuries, now they drop like flies and linger for weeks. Oh, and a new keeper is desperately needed. Kepa is a busted flush and unlikely ever to recover with us. 

Agree HM but thescouser brain cells have been waiting nearly 30 years(not in their deluded memories of course)while we were doing what?....know what I am happier with...we can only improve but they are peaking....

12 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

The second half for me was always about concentration and focus defensively. You can't lose your man especially in the 18. James found out the hard way.. 

I'd forgotten James.  They call it ball watching.  Trouble is for this goal James couldn't work out where Mane or the ball was going - until both converged a little in front of James.

15 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Pulisic pulled his hamstring just over a month ago. Azpi presumably hasn't fully recovered either. Chilwell had a heel injury from last season, Silva only arrived a few days ago. Ziyech is the worry for me, took a knock in the friendly and we haven't had any more details since then.

The Barnsley match will be practically a pre-season friendly - a chance to get some guys up to speed.

Although there are financial reasons why this was the time to go big in the transfer market, the lack of pre-season and relentless nature of the matches makes this one of the toughest times to try and integrate so many new players. We're going to be playing catch-up for a while.

Hopefully CHO gets a chance on Wednesday to show Lampard he was wrong, whilst we should learn more about the Rüdiger situation. 

33 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Pulisic pulled his hamstring just over a month ago. Azpi presumably hasn't fully recovered either. Chilwell had a heel injury from last season, Silva only arrived a few days ago. Ziyech is the worry for me, took a knock in the friendly and we haven't had any more details since then.

The Barnsley match will be practically a pre-season friendly - a chance to get some guys up to speed.

Although there are financial reasons why this was the time to go big in the transfer market, the lack of pre-season and relentless nature of the matches makes this one of the toughest times to try and integrate so many new players. We're going to be playing catch-up for a while.

Hopefully CHO gets a chance on Wednesday to show Lampard he was wrong, whilst we should learn more about the Rüdiger situation. 

Didn't Liverpool Tiago arrive just 3 days ago? Still he was deemed fit to play today

Edited by ugogbuzue

chelboy   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

(and talk elsewhere about Jorginho).

Trouble is that under SFL we really are still playing Sarri football, inviting the press and trying to play our way out of it.  It puts an awful lot of pressure on our back players and keeper - we get a lot of goals from applying a press, and we can concede a lot too.

The only players that we have had who excel at this football are Luiz and Jorginho (and it seems Frank was happy to get rid of both).  FFS he even played Kante as playmaker for a few games.

Either give up the Sarriball/pinball from the back and just go long a lot more - then you can get rid of Jorginho, play Zouma as much as you want and start Giroud.
Or we stick to the script and Jorginho is absolutely essential and Zouma has to be dropped.

Zouma is worth twice as much to an Everton as he is to a top 3 club.
Jorginho less than half as much.

There has been no Sarriball since Sarri left. Lamps style is different. We saw that last season but still you wish to claim its Sarriball. 

As for Jorginho he usually plays better alongside Kante and Kova but today he was poor. Both DM’s next to him played better. The only problem is offloading him is pretty hard as no one really wants him other than his uncle Sarri who isn’t in Juve anymore. If Jorg was this world class player people claim why aren’t all the top teams after him? Even City don’t want him anymore. If its a choice between him and Zouma then you would have to be crazy to pick Jorginho.