• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 2

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's also why everyone else looks better prepared and a more cohesive unit than we do , they're generally being coached a system that suits the players they have in their squad .

We are chopping and changing like the Worlds biggest "Championship Manager" simulation and look dreadful in every department because of it .

Frank needs to pick a system , train that system , coach the players be able to play in a few different positions and stick with it , let other sides worry about beating Chelsea not work out how we can best them. 

If he doesn't fix up soon something unpleasant will happen even if all his "good" players are out he needs to integrate the less good ones into the side in as seamlessly way as possible.

Spot on Mark.

Pick a system , formation and just replace like for like within it.

As I said earlier it has to be Kante plus one of Jorginho or Kovacic. Then either Havertz or Mount as the 8/10.

Pulisic and Ziyech should be first choice wingers, CHO the one to play if either can't. I'm not his biggest fan but he is the only other natural winger we have so for me should be playing when one of them can't. Mount/Havertz can fill in when needed.

We then need to drill them in training, over and over again. Dont worry about the opposition, we need them to worry about us. The more we train and play with a settled system and a core group of players the better we will become at playing it.

We must have spent all week training to play the way we did yesterday and for what? To play something completely different in the next game.

Once you have a settled system it is far easier to make the odd tweak but at the moment its changing almost every game and it was the same last season. We have just signed one of the best young strikers in the world who looked very sharp against Brighton yet in only his second game we play with Havertz up front and Werner out wide. I'm a huge fan of Havertz but he is not a striker, especially playing only his second game for us and coming up against Van Dijk, who wont have an easier game all season.

12 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

This is a very English football view though. If you look at Serie A, its quite common for managers to change their tactics/formations on a game by game basis. The league is far more tactical in Italy, the plan changes by the week to counter who the opposition is for that specific game. I quite like that Frank has shown this so far, it has not always worked, but then it has worked really well at times and we have looked a coherent and well drilled unit. You only have to look at Spurs and Ajax away last season as two good examples, plus half time changes he made in the Arsenal away game. Things have not looked great in two games so far this season (though his tactics yesterday may have worked if we stayed 11 a side), but we have got positive results and performances through changing tactics and formations for specific games.

This example had its ceiling though didn't it. We all remember Ancelotti's bad moment which seem to last for about 20 games, we played terrible in the majority of those 20 games and he picked the same eleven and in the same shape every week...........he was fired not long after on a sunny afternoon in Merseyside!

I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of getting the team into a cohesive unit first and foremost , all the other paraphernalia can come later on .

Get us into shape first , experiment later , I don't think he knows his best side yet and at the beginning of a new season already blighted by injuries feel certain he'd have been better for the time being playing safe with Giroud up front and others playing off him for the time being . 

24 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

This example had its ceiling though didn't it. We all remember Ancelotti's bad moment which seem to last for about 20 games, we played terrible in the majority of those 20 games and he picked the same eleven and in the same shape every week...........he was fired not long after on a sunny afternoon in Merseyside!

True.

Sorry I was referring to anchelloti at Everton

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of getting the team into a cohesive unit first and foremost , all the other paraphernalia can come later on .

Get us into shape first , experiment later , I don't think he knows his best side yet and at the beginning of a new season already blighted by injuries feel certain he'd have been better for the time being playing safe with Giroud up front and others playing off him for the time being . 

He’s not going there know his best team yet though. We have signed 5-6 players and had 2 games.

I think he knew his best team at end of last season, but it’s going to take time to get a platform for the players to play off.

As for comment on Giroud. I agree completely and I really feel Frank is missing a trick here. 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Take your platform for the season (I'd stick Rudiger in for someone but whatever).
Yet Alonso has started 2 games, RLC one, and Barkley come on twice.
I can't imagine Conte or JM bothering with players outside the core in the first two games.  Certainly not in season 2.

It is development squad coaching,

Sadly it's hard to disagree. 

57 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Some positives:

Kovacic two good lay-offs from his runs.

Kante seems back to fitness (less sure whether he is really the right fit for a Frank side.)

Kepa, mistake a side had a better game.

Havertz great free kick yet only Alonso moved??

Tomori looked ok coming on from the subs bench.

Next up Barnsley,  want to see CHO start,  is he a busted flush or a real talent, lets give him the chance to show what he can do.

That's how bad it is yes. 

I can't see why Azpilicueta couldn't have played LB yesterday, and played Alonso in front of him, Werner could have played through the Center.

frank seems to be trying to be too clever and it's costing us, stop trying to confuse the opposition, we should not be worrying about them.

as was said last night on match of the day, they were surprised kepa started the season let alone yesterday's game after the rickett against Brighton.

another thing why is everyone still trying to play out from the back?

we are seeing loads of mistakes from teams that are doing it, and two teams you don't want to be doing it against are city and Liverpool.

another point of note, Why did we let Lampty go?

I know he was coming to the end of his contract but he was superb yesterday and he should be playing RB for us, with James in front of him or James could slot in midfield, but some bright spark decided to let him go for peanuts, we all know what's going to happen, he will join a big club for millions

bert19   
22 minutes ago, Never happy said:

I can't see why Azpilicueta couldn't have played LB yesterday, and played Alonso in front of him, Werner could have played through the Center.

frank seems to be trying to be too clever and it's costing us, stop trying to confuse the opposition, we should not be worrying about them.

as was said last night on match of the day, they were surprised kepa started the season let alone yesterday's game after the rickett against Brighton.

another thing why is everyone still trying to play out from the back?

we are seeing loads of mistakes from teams that are doing it, and two teams you don't want to be doing it against are city and Liverpool.

another point of note, Why did we let Lampty go?

I know he was coming to the end of his contract but he was superb yesterday and he should be playing RB for us, with James in front of him or James could slot in midfield, but some bright spark decided to let him go for peanuts, we all know what's going to happen, he will join a big club for millions

This I agree with you on.  I think it's risky a lot of the time.  It's even more risky when you do it with a shaky defence & an awful keeper against sides that like to press high. 

46 pages... wow, I don't think I have time to read all of that but I imagine all and every viewpoint has been discussed over all those pages. I guess I should add my own views, but I'll keep it short and sweet...

- Kepa has now surely played his last ever game for Chelsea. Not sure why he was even given these 2 games, to be honest, but I hope to god that Mendy is actually a good keeper!

- James now number 1 RB? He's certainly playing like it, he's started the season extremely well.

- Tomori our best CB after Silva... I do wonder what happened to his game time.

- Why no CHO Frank? Natural width was needed not players being played out of position.

- Werner is quality. He may not have scored yet, but my word this kid is good. Can he be on penalties now, so we can pad out his goal tally

Ultimately the sending off killed us and killed the game as a contest. I'm not saying we'd have won if Christensen hadn't been sent off, but we were containing them and keeping it a close game and I think we could maybe have snuck a draw. Such a shame.

This game doesn't define our manager, our season or any of the players though - it came too early for us and we had a few very unfortunate moments (individual mistakes) that ultimately lost us the game.

Can't wait to get the other half of the starting 11 back fit, because that's what's missing, GK, LB, CB, LW & RW and I hope people are taking that into account if they're having a massive moan about the manager. Take those starting positions out of any team and they'll struggle, let alone against the champions.

• Like 1

Diddymen   
30 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

- Tomori our best CB after Silva... I do wonder what happened to his game time.

I actually thought Zouma has been playing well since Brighton. Won quite a few headers on Sunday too