• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 2

3 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

I actually thought Zouma has been playing well since Brighton. Won quite a few headers on Sunday too

Yeah, I would agree, Zouma has started this season well, I just felt that Tomori really impressed when he came on and seems to have really worked on his game. Stepping out of defence to win the ball a few times, putting himself about and using his strength and was really composed on the ball, he really impressed me.

I would say it's between Tomori and Zouma to partner Silva and then they should be the pairing when Silva is rested.

chara   

Alonso lost his man twice  for the first goal and James lost his man ...very well placed header.....second goal....James puts Kepa under some pressure...ONLY THE TWO LIVERPOOL PLAYERS IN THE AREA MOVE!..and quick......Dislike the man but closed down Kepa really fast and made it his...I always scream at the tv .."Close down the keeper"...if a Chelsea player had done the same thing we would all be chortling and saying how smart.quick etc our man was with very little reference to the keeper and defence.

Not defending Kepa but as always things seen and commented on in isolation.

And..kudos AC caught out by a brilliant piece of "trickery"......once his leg is pushed out he's done..can't help himself and every angle except the very very clear side one makes it look a no brainer.....Remember Winging W pulled all sorts of camera stuff to get a Red dismissed...surely any right minded person seeing the clear angle would put it aside?

For what it's worth I thought the BHA goal was worse than either goal yesterday by a long shot........

6 minutes ago, chara said:

Alonso lost his man twice  for the first goal and James lost his man ...very well placed header.....second goal....James puts Kepa under some pressure...ONLY THE TWO LIVERPOOL PLAYERS IN THE AREA MOVE!..and quick......Dislike the man but closed down Kepa really fast and made it his...I always scream at the tv .."Close down the keeper"...if a Chelsea player had done the same thing we would all be chortling and saying how smart.quick etc our man was with very little reference to the keeper and defence.

Not defending Kepa but as always things seen and commented on in isolation.

And..kudos AC caught out by a brilliant piece of "trickery"......once his leg is pushed out he's done..can't help himself and every angle except the very very clear side one makes it look a no brainer.....Remember Winging W pulled all sorts of camera stuff to get a Red dismissed...surely any right minded person seeing the clear angle would put it aside?

For what it's worth I thought the BHA goal was worse than either goal yesterday by a long shot........

To be totally honest , despite my usual Kepa bashing , he has looked a bit more assured this season , you could hear him shouting to the defence which was good , I feel heartily sorry for him but it appears SFL and the lads are 100% behind him , which is nice. He's definitely gotten a bit braver and more proactive but sadly I think that's him done now Mendy is on the way . He may not be the finished article either but he's a big one and will certainly fill the goal frame a bit more.

A top class keeper can win you 12 points a season by most reckoning , can't see Kepa contributing that to be honest . 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Thanks 1

I hate nothing more than losing to these tw@s, not to mention their scummy apologists like Paul Jiggins in the Scum newspaper fawning all over them.  How many more mistakes must Kepa make before we decide that he is actually utterly useless?  I'm not a fan f Chriteansen but he was playing OK before he saw red, Zouma is our best defender by a mile, and Tomori played pretty well alongside him.  The less said about Rudiger the better, his errors cost us more than any of our defenders, hopefully he'll be offloaded.  Havertz still has time to make an impact, and Werner's work rate is superb, and I'm sure the goals will flow soon.  When will we see the other new signings?  Alonso is a joke at left back, I'd rather paly Azpilicueta in his place, at least he can defend.  And I also say stick with Frank and stop listening to sh***y phone-ins calling for his head, we certainly don't want Jose back or some other overrated coaches people are harping on about.  No one fails after just 2 games, Man U were far worse than we were against Palace.

Sir   

Did Sky Sports show that Salah penalty dive in the end or did they gloss over it?

8 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Completely agree with this.

Somehow he needs to figure out a formation for us and then stick to it as a base case scenario. 

For me that’s a 433/4231 with the following players as the platform;

James, Azpilicueta, Chilwell, Silva, Zouma, Tomori, Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho, Havertz, Mount, Pulisic, Ziyech, Hudson-Odoi, Werner, Abraham, Giroud

Yep! If we went 4-2-3-1 then, using only the players we currently have and disregarding injuries I'd suggest the following:

Caballero

James.      Silva.      Zouma     Chilwell

Kante.             Kovacic

Ziyech.                    Havertz.              Pulisic

Werner       

That looks like a really good team to me with all players playing in a position that suits them. Ideally I'd like RLC in midfield if he was playing at his old standard. Let's hope he can get back to it. 

This is a lineup and setup which is offensive in its nature and that's how we should have played against Liverpool. It was completely wrong to play as passively as we did. That just played to Liverpool's significant strengths in rapacious high pressing around our box which made us look constantly vulnerable. Instead we should have taken them out of their comfort zone by taking the game to them. Now admittedly there were a number of these players unavailable through injury, but this is what we should be aiming towards I think. We have other players like CHO, Tammy and Giroud, as well as Mount who can fit into this pattern of play.

Ongoing concerns are as follows:

1) We still need to upgrade the GK position

2) And most of all I'm very concerned about why our players seem to take so long to return from injury. What exactly is wrong with Ziyech?

3) Further to the injury concern, I share the concern of others that Pulisic might be injury prone. When fit and able he may well be our best attacking threat and having him play on the left in this suggested formation, with Ziyech on the other side and Havertz between them and with Timo up front? I think you'll agree that on paper at least that looks very promising.

I can tell you what Lampard sees in Christiansen - he's our only ball playing centre back. This is why Frank wants Declan Rice - he can blay the ball out of defence.. Neither Zouma, Rudiger or Tomori can come out with the ball confidently. Zouma is our best defender of the ball but our worst ball player. Rudiger is a bit of both but not great at either. Tomori is leaning on the defensive side of things but it's early days. People seem to be forgetting how frequently he was caught out of position last year but, his recovery speed masked a lot of that. He was dropped because Frank couldn't rely on him although he was given a number of chances.

8 minutes ago, Erland Johnson said:

I can tell you what Lampard sees in Christiansen - he's our only ball playing centre back. This is why Frank wants Declan Rice - he can blay the ball out of defence.. Neither Zouma, Rudiger or Tomori can come out with the ball confidently. Zouma is our best defender of the ball but our worst ball player. Rudiger is a bit of both but not great at either. Tomori is leaning on the defensive side of things but it's early days. People seem to be forgetting how frequently he was caught out of position last year but, his recovery speed masked a lot of that. He was dropped because Frank couldn't rely on him although he was given a number of chances.

Marcel Desailly made a career out of his recovery speed. 

7 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

This example had its ceiling though didn't it. We all remember Ancelotti's bad moment which seem to last for about 20 games, we played terrible in the majority of those 20 games and he picked the same eleven and in the same shape every week...........he was fired not long after on a sunny afternoon in Merseyside!

Not going to disagree with CA in 10/11 being poor.  But essentially the route to winning the Prem is to go with a tight set of players and push them.  It either goes right (2010, 2015, 2017) or wrong (not by coincidence 2011, 2016, 2018).  And it can knacker the players for the next season.

Going with big squads and sharing the games out means you get neither excellent nor dreadful seasons.  

28 minutes ago, Erland Johnson said:

The ball playing out from the back is clearly the way we are supposed to be playing.
Only Jorginho suits it though.  But yes Christensen is probably next best amongst defenders with Zouma least good.