• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 2

52 minutes ago, Erland Johnson said:

Agreed. I always preferred Lebeouf over Desailly.

Me too funnily enough. 

And the Blues boss’ reaction saw him put blame at Kepa’s door for the defeat on their own turf.

Speaking to BBC Sport, Lampard said: “[It was a] big mistake.

“Clear mistake and when you reflect on the half without the mistake and the penalty we draw the game 1-1.

Farting about in our own box for almost half the game against Liverpool was the mistake.
Blaming the guy that Fxxxed up instead of the guy that told to fart around is a bit much IMO.  Press will love it though.

Bison   
6 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, I would agree, Zouma has started this season well, I just felt that Tomori really impressed when he came on and seems to have really worked on his game. Stepping out of defence to win the ball a few times, putting himself about and using his strength and was really composed on the ball, he really impressed me.

I would say it's between Tomori and Zouma to partner Silva and then they should be the pairing when Silva is rested.

I thought Tomori looked stronger as well. He looked skinny last season but seemed a little bulkier yesterday which should help him when jostling to position etc.

10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Farting about in our own box for almost half the game against Liverpool was the mistake.
Blaming the guy that Fxxxed up instead of the guy that told to fart around is a bit much IMO.  Press will love it though.

It's all if's and but's though. We don't know if the tactics for this game would not have worked do we ? Once we lost AC then we were always going to be right up against it, but at the time it was 0-0 and Kepa had little to do, whilst we never really created anything either.

Personally, I wouldn't even have mentioned the penalty miss in relation to the result if I was Frank, because its just not that black and white and those circumstances does not necessarily translate to a 1-1 draw. So I cannot really see where he is coming from with that comment.

Point is though, in terms of getting the right result ON THE DAY. The tactics might well have proved spot on, so its difficult to be too critical of those tactics. Its not like he employs those tactics week in week out, it was a game plan for that match. It was undone by individual player mistakes.

13 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yep! If we went 4-2-3-1 then, using only the players we currently have and disregarding injuries I'd suggest the following:

Caballero

James.      Silva.      Zouma     Chilwell

Kante.             Kovacic

Ziyech.                    Havertz.              Pulisic

Werner       

That looks like a really good team to me with all players playing in a position that suits them. Ideally I'd like RLC in midfield if he was playing at his old standard. Let's hope he can get back to it. 

This is a lineup and setup which is offensive in its nature and that's how we should have played against Liverpool. It was completely wrong to play as passively as we did. That just played to Liverpool's significant strengths in rapacious high pressing around our box which made us look constantly vulnerable. Instead we should have taken them out of their comfort zone by taking the game to them. Now admittedly there were a number of these players unavailable through injury, but this is what we should be aiming towards I think. We have other players like CHO, Tammy and Giroud, as well as Mount who can fit into this pattern of play.

Ongoing concerns are as follows:

1) We still need to upgrade the GK position

2) And most of all I'm very concerned about why our players seem to take so long to return from injury. What exactly is wrong with Ziyech?

3) Further to the injury concern, I share the concern of others that Pulisic might be injury prone. When fit and able he may well be our best attacking threat and having him play on the left in this suggested formation, with Ziyech on the other side and Havertz between them and with Timo up front? I think you'll agree that on paper at least that looks very promising.

Agree with most of this. However, I do think that Mount has a big role to play especially with his pressing game. But we will play enough games for all our main attacking mids (Pulisic, Mount, Havertz, Ziyech) to see plenty of minutes. 

51 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

It's all if's and but's though. We don't know if the tactics for this game would not have worked do we ? Once we lost AC then we were always going to be right up against it, but at the time it was 0-0 and Kepa had little to do, whilst we never really created anything either.

Personally, I wouldn't even have mentioned the penalty miss in relation to the result if I was Frank, because its just not that black and white and those circumstances does not necessarily translate to a 1-1 draw. So I cannot really see where he is coming from with that comment.

Point is though, in terms of getting the right result ON THE DAY. The tactics might well have proved spot on, so its difficult to be too critical of those tactics. Its not like he employs those tactics week in week out, it was a game plan for that match. It was undone by individual player mistakes.

I absolutely agree with what you are saying here , however , personally , for whatever reason I think Frank misplayed his hand here , by in my opinion , going into this game starting on the back foot . The message to the squad is , none of you are good enough to take the game to Liverpool , CHO , Giroud , Tammy , Barkley ,I don't believe you're good enough  to start and make a difference . I think it's dreadful management , we will now have Kepa , waiting to be replaced , Alonso waiting to be replaced , Tammy and Giroud already replaced , Barkley waiting to be sold , Jorginho waiting for a replacement , CHO wondering why he stayed and I cannot imagine any of them giving it their all to make the manager change his mind , bar Tammy and possibly Barkley . 

We should have played a front three of Werner -Giroud -CHO with Havertz given a half and Mount given a half in midfield .

It's a squad game and half of them must already be feeling disenfranchised . Everyone in the squad must know that he's bought five players and those five players are going to play regardless and the rest of you , thanks for the Champions league qualification but you'll be playing in the league cup from now on in.

Dreadful man management .

Edited by Mark Kelly

54 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I don't mind the tactics per se - I'd much rather lose like this way than the 5-3 that just gave the game to Liverpool.

I just think that the tactics themselves created  a high risk of an error when passing within our own box.  The manager has to acknowledge that, not put all the blame on individual players.

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's a squad game and half of them must already be feeling disenfranchised .

I'd rather lose 3-4 than capitulate 0-2 without dirtying the keepers gloves.

It's an 18 man squad game until it goes tits up.  There are 7 or  players we shouldn't be hearing about and probably shouldn't be at Cobham now.
I'm fine with the 2-0.  Score the penalty, better VAR and we are in with a great chance of a point.

23 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't mind the tactics per se - I'd much rather lose like this way than the 5-3 that just gave the game to Liverpool. - Tactics of side needing points in a relegation battle, at home we should not be losing at all and competing / domination the opposition

I just think that the tactics themselves created  a high risk of an error when passing within our own box.  The manager has to acknowledge that, not put all the blame on individual players. - Agree, the occasional hoff it would not have gone amiss

It's an 18 man squad game until it goes tits up. - Need to have a set formation in place before reducing your squad,

There are 7 or  players we shouldn't be hearing about and probably shouldn't be at Cobham now.  - Above applies and when Marina get time after she completes the clubs buying frenzy

I'm fine with the 2-0.  Score the penalty, better VAR and we are in with a great chance of a point. - Love the humour, I hate to say this the dippers were om cruse control when the penalty was awarded and would have step up a gear and scored again had Jorginho Hopscotch routine worked 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I absolutely agree with what you are saying here , however , personally , for whatever reason I think Frank misplayed his hand here , by in my opinion , going into this game starting on the back foot . The message to the squad is , none of you are good enough to take the game to Liverpool , CHO , Giroud , Tammy , Barkley ,I don't believe you're good enough  to start and make a difference . I think it's dreadful management , we will now have Kepa , waiting to be replaced , Alonso waiting to be replaced , Tammy and Giroud already replaced , Barkley waiting to be sold , Jorginho waiting for a replacement , CHO wondering why he stayed and I cannot imagine any of them giving it their all to make the manager change his mind , bar Tammy and possibly Barkley . 

We should have played a front three of Werner -Giroud -CHO with Havertz given a half and Mount given a half in midfield .

It's a squad game and half of them must already be feeling disenfranchised . Everyone in the squad must know that he's bought five players and those five players are going to play regardless and the rest of you , thanks for the Champions league qualification but you'll be playing in the league cup from now on in.

Dreadful man management .

I agree with some of the points in a general sense. For example, if Azpiliceuta is fit then play I would play him at left back until Chilwell ready. Alonso knows his place as 1st choice has pretty much gone and he is just filling in the gaps. At the same time, Alonso not really done anything wrong in opening two games and as a professional who is paid well by the club, he should and has just got on with it.

I'm not sure it has sent out the message that these players are not good enough. Just that they were not selected to carry out this game plan. I don't agree with the starting line up that Frank did pick, but in terms of players being pi$$ed off with his decision for this game. I think it is really only Tammy and Giroud who could be.

We do have players waiting to be replaced, but that's the same at every club who have invested in new players. Clearly, we cannot just afford to give these players away and we have to get the best possible deal for the club. I don't necessarily think you can call it bad management, its just the situation at present and no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face. We still have these players at the club, so we may as well use them, rather than binning them off to the youth team and forcing them out. That just creates bad atmosphere and drives your negotiation position down when trying to move players out of the club.

It's a very difficult situation to manage, made even more difficult by no pre-season and short turn around, plus Covid having some impact in affecting how easy it is to get players out of the door. These are all out of Frank's hands! I'm not making excuses for him, because I don't agree with what his team selection was, but I think its unfair to call it dreadful man management, when circumstances out of his control are having a real influence in this. 

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Agree with most of this. However, I do think that Mount has a big role to play especially with his pressing game. But we will play enough games for all our main attacking mids (Pulisic, Mount, Havertz, Ziyech) to see plenty of minutes. 

Yeh, I like Mason too, but like I was saying about our other players, he too must be deployed appropriately and playing him as a winger? No.