• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

West Bromwich Albion 3 Chelsea 3

Holymoly   
8 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Rmours I've heard states that the club isvery  unimpressed by his "uncomfortable" attitude over recent weeks. 

Apparently we are looking to sell him. 

Personally I'm not too fussed. He isn't much better than a CB3 for us and if he isn't happy with that role he's free to leave imo. Won't lose any sleep over this. 

With him gone that would make Christensen #3. Would you be happy with that??

2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

If the rumours are true that Rudiger wants out I would be disappointed. I'd have expected he'd have knuckled down and applied himself to get back into contention rather than cutting and running at the first sign of trouble. Especially from a German, who tend to be made of sterner stuff than some of the snowflakes.

Possibly. We don't really know what might have gone on behind closed doors, but I can understand some of the frustrations Rudiger has.

Firstly, he has to take responsibility for his own poor form second half of last season. He simply was not good enough.

At the same time, his first two seasons were very good and I think some have downplayed this in favour of the current situation. Even when not playing well last season, was he actually any worse than any other CB at the club ? I would say probably not to be honest, but maybe he has set higher expectations.

I would say he and our other defenders are also feeling frustrations about the Gk situation and the lack of midfield protection, plus the general open nature of our team shape.

He has not become a poor player overnight at 27 years old. He also seems to me to be a really good character in and around the club. It's still early days this season, but I don't really get that he appears to be frozen out after a bad spell of form. We have had others who had bad spells last season, but they did not really seem to be left out of the squad in a similar manner, considering he is a seasoned German international.

It all seems a little strange to me and I would be feeling very frustrated if I were Rudiger too.

chelboy   

I doubt there has been any fall out. One CB was always going to leave this season between AC and Rudi. The club probably rate AC higher or see AC as more valuable long term with a higher fee. Plus I dont think Rudiger wants to stay as 3rd or 4th choice when he has the Euro’s coming. He may also feel he is better than 3rd choice which I don’t think he is tbh. He’s good on the ball but defensively I have never really rated him or seen what he does well on a consistent basis in that department. Both him and AC I would happily sell in the next two windows. 

1 minute ago, chelboy said:

I doubt there has been any fall out. One CB was always going to leave this season between AC and Rudi. The club probably rate AC higher or see AC as more valuable long term with a higher fee. Plus I dont think Rudiger wants to stay as 3rd or 4th choice when he has the Euro’s coming. He may also feel he is better than 3rd choice which I don’t think he is tbh. He’s good on the ball but defensively I have never really rated him or seen what he does well on a consistent basis in that department. Both him and AC I would happily sell in the next two windows. 

Rewind 12 months and it was almost unanimous on here that our defensive fragilities would improve once Rudiger came back into the team, following his injury.

We had that opinion due to the form he produced in his first two seasons. Now he seems to be 5th choice CB and to be honest, he would not have been happy with his form post restart for sure last season, simply not good enough. It does seem like many just want to erase the first two good seasons he had here.

The season under Sarri, was there a more consistent performer, week in week out ? I couldn't name you one.....many will jump to Hazard as the answer, but he was either very good or slightly off throughout his last season.

9 minutes ago, chelboy said:

I doubt there has been any fall out. One CB was always going to leave this season between AC and Rudi. 

We don't know that's the case though, do we? For most of the Summer, Tomori has been linked with a loan move away. To Rennes, then to Everton, then Rennes again. I'd seen some fans suggest trying to sell Christensen or Rüdiger but no actual concrete links. It would appear that we had been expecting to play the season with Silva/Zouma/AC/Rudi. 

Edited by Bridge Soldier

55 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Rmours I've heard states that the club isvery  unimpressed by his "uncomfortable" attitude over recent weeks. 

Apparently we are looking to sell him. 

Personally I'm not too fussed. He isn't much better than a CB3 for us and if he isn't happy with that role he's free to leave imo. Won't lose any sleep over this. 

Strange kind of rumour.  It sounds like one of those clubs happy to diss their own player in order to explain to fans why they are shifting him.  There are clubs that do that, but not Chelsea.

The only CB we have capable of being a PL winning CB over the next 5 years.

53 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

My starting XI for the weekend would be;

-----------------Caballero

James-Tomori-Zouma-Azpilicueta

--------Kanté-------------Kovacic

Mount-------Havertz-------Werner

-----------------Abraham

Subs: Arrizabalaga, Silva, Chilwell, Barkley, Jorginho, Hudson-Odoi, Giroud

Missing out: Alonso, Emerson, Rüdiger, Christensen, Loftus-Cheek

Injured: Ziyech, Gilmour, Pulisic

Exactly the same team I would pick too. Be nice to get in a position to get Silva on for more minutes too.

chelboy   
27 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Rewind 12 months and it was almost unanimous on here that our defensive fragilities would improve once Rudiger came back into the team, following his injury.

We had that opinion due to the form he produced in his first two seasons. Now he seems to be 5th choice CB and to be honest, he would not have been happy with his form post restart for sure last season, simply not good enough. It does seem like many just want to erase the first two good seasons he had here.

The season under Sarri, was there a more consistent performer, week in week out ? I couldn't name you one.....many will jump to Hazard as the answer, but he was either very good or slightly off throughout his last season.

I thought Rudiger would improve the defensive line mainly because he’s the type that communicates at the back and shows some leadership compared to the rest. We didn’t really get any of that though. Instead he seems to be similar to the rest in that department which probably means Luiz was the main commanding CB. I never really thought Rudiger defensively would be miles better than what we have.

No doubt last season defensive system was poor but I still didn’t expect to see such poor moments from him. Many individual mistakes. With his contract up in two years and no sign of an extension it makes sense to start to cash on him.

Under Sarri , Hazard was the only played that really stood out for me that season. Giroud too but that was mostly in Europa. In the Conte season Rudi looked better imo but all of our CB’s looked comfortable defending in a low block 3. Even AC. 

26 minutes ago, Bridge Soldier said:

We don't know that's the case though, do we? For most of the Summer, Tomori has been linked with a loan move away. To Rennes, then to Everton, then Rennes again. I'd seen some fans suggest trying to sell Christensen or Rüdiger but no actual concrete links. It would appear that we had been expecting to play the season with Silva/Zouma/AC/Rudi. 

True there has been some uncertainty around the back about who’s staying or going. Perhaps something did happen. Maybe Rudi asked to leave?

12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Strange kind of rumour.  It sounds like one of those clubs happy to diss their own player in order to explain to fans why they are shifting him.  There are clubs that do that, but not Chelsea.

The only CB we have capable of being a PL winning CB over the next 5 years.

Maybe it means he's been telling the coach exactly what he thinks about his tactics? 

19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Maybe it means he's been telling the coach exactly what he thinks about his tactics? 

Or maybe he too was on a promise from Juve.  It is the replacement Juve conundrum for me.