• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

West Bromwich Albion 3 Chelsea 3

3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

With him gone that would make Christensen #3. Would you be happy with that??

For me neither Christensen nor Rüdiegr is currently our CB3. If I had to make some sort of ranking right now for the season it would be;

1. Silva

2. Zouma

3. Tomori

I wouldn't care which one of Rüdiger/Christensen would end up being CB4. 

3 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Possibly. We don't really know what might have gone on behind closed doors, but I can understand some of the frustrations Rudiger has.

Firstly, he has to take responsibility for his own poor form second half of last season. He simply was not good enough.

At the same time, his first two seasons were very good and I think some have downplayed this in favour of the current situation. Even when not playing well last season, was he actually any worse than any other CB at the club ? I would say probably not to be honest, but maybe he has set higher expectations.

I would say he and our other defenders are also feeling frustrations about the Gk situation and the lack of midfield protection, plus the general open nature of our team shape.

He has not become a poor player overnight at 27 years old. He also seems to me to be a really good character in and around the club. It's still early days this season, but I don't really get that he appears to be frozen out after a bad spell of form. We have had others who had bad spells last season, but they did not really seem to be left out of the squad in a similar manner, considering he is a seasoned German international.

It all seems a little strange to me and I would be feeling very frustrated if I were Rudiger too.

First season he was good, second season barely passable and last season disastrous. 

It's been a very clear downward trajectory since he signed. Most likely because he is not supposed to be the experienced senior pro at the back, a role he's painfullt inadequate to fill. Some of probably argue that a Silva/Rüdiger partnership should be our best line-up on paper, but for me Rüdiger sijmply isn't worth the money to renew his contract with us. This summer is the perfect time to sell - his stock is still reasonably high and we have defenders at the club who is just as good or better.  

3 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Rewind 12 months and it was almost unanimous on here that our defensive fragilities would improve once Rudiger came back into the team, following his injury.

We had that opinion due to the form he produced in his first two seasons. Now he seems to be 5th choice CB and to be honest, he would not have been happy with his form post restart for sure last season, simply not good enough. It does seem like many just want to erase the first two good seasons he had here.

The season under Sarri, was there a more consistent performer, week in week out ? I couldn't name you one.....many will jump to Hazard as the answer, but he was either very good or slightly off throughout his last season.

I think the double knee injuries has taken it's toll on him. He's simply not the same player as when he signed for us from Roma. Even then he had very clear weaknesses. Those are even more pronounced now coupled with a few new ones. 

His intelligence on the pitch was never that high, and his physical attributes isn't what they once were.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

The only CB we have capable of being a PL winning CB over the next 5 years.

Really? Based on what exactly? 

Ham   
1 minute ago, Diddymen said:

For those that watched the match last night, how did Chilwell play? (for the 20 mins or so he was on)

Hit and miss.  Looked a bit nervous at first. Mis-controlled a pass and let it run out for a throw but then he settled and put in a nice early cross from deep right in front of Giroud for his goal.  

• Like 1

Jasonb   
5 hours ago, chelboy said:

I thought Rudiger would improve the defensive line mainly because he’s the type that communicates at the back and shows some leadership compared to the rest. We didn’t really get any of that though. Instead he seems to be similar to the rest in that department which probably means Luiz was the main commanding CB. I never really thought Rudiger defensively would be miles better than what we have.

No doubt last season defensive system was poor but I still didn’t expect to see such poor moments from him. Many individual mistakes. With his contract up in two years and no sign of an extension it makes sense to start to cash on him.

Under Sarri , Hazard was the only played that really stood out for me that season. Giroud too but that was mostly in Europa. In the Conte season Rudi looked better imo but all of our CB’s looked comfortable defending in a low block 3. Even AC. 

True there has been some uncertainty around the back about who’s staying or going. Perhaps something did happen. Maybe Rudi asked to leave?

I'm on the same page as you thinking Rudi was good in a back three and now sees himself too far down the pecking order and so wants a move.

I also thought we needed to move on him or AC so him wanting a move should be good news.

Edited by Jasonb

Think we need width and therefore, might go with 3 at the back with James and Chilwell wide.  Chilwell looked like he was fit enough to be starting to me.  Really hard to put the team together with CHO being the only natural wide player.

Barkley and Tammy deserve a start after recent performances but, not sure how they fit in..  Can't see Frank dropping any of Mount, Havertz, Kante, Kovacic.  I like Mounts enthusiasm and energy but, I find it hard how Frank can't find it in himself to rotate Mason. , I also think it could help the player. Cab should start, building on confidence he should've gained from yesterday's performance.  I think there are only a few players that are worthy of being definite starters and they are Werner, Pulisic, and Kante.  I expect Silva, Chilwell and Ziyech to add to that list once we know more about them.  Hopefully, James will also be there too but, there were a few moments after lockdown where he seriously blipped and we had to revert to looking at Azpi.

8 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

For those that watched the match last night, how did Chilwell play? (for the 20 mins or so he was on)

I thought he looked good.  Was taking up positions you'd want him too.  Did see the mis-control that ran out of play but, wasn't sure if it was nerves or just being fresh coming onto the pitch as a sub.  Other than that he was looking to get involved in the short time that he was on.

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

For me neither Christensen nor Rüdiegr is currently our CB3. If I had to make some sort of ranking right now for the season it would be;

1. Silva

2. Zouma

3. Tomori

I wouldn't care which one of Rüdiger/Christensen would end up being CB4. 

Really? Based on what exactly? 

Based on Rudiger 17/18 and 18/19 being the only top class CB we have had in a Chelsea team since we won the Prem.

There is no way Zouma or Tomori is leading us into a title race in next few years  (Silva won't be around long either and we just learnt he has a mistake in him too).

Rudiger could.

17 hours ago, Holymoly said:

With him gone that would make Christensen #3. Would you be happy with that??

Tomori #3 and Christensen as #4 is ok for me.

14 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Rudiger could.

Haven’t seen that from him yet. Being decent in a back three against the likes of Brighton et al isn’t proof. It just shows you need cover to mask your weaknesses. 

If there are top sides out there who want to pay good money for him we should bite their hands off! 

Haven’t seen that from him yet. Being decent in a back three against the likes of Brighton et al isn’t proof. It just shows you need cover to mask your weaknesses. 

If there are top sides out there who want to pay good money for him we should bite their hands off! 

Did you mention this in 17/18 or 18/19?

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Did you mention this in 17/18 or 18/19?

17-18 he was carried by other more experienced defenders. 18-19 wasn’t any more than average. Last season he was disastrous. Never rated him and that’s the honest truth. Nothing about him that stands out in a positive manner. 

His knee injuries has taken their toll and he was never the most intelligent footballer. Physique isn’t what it once was. Now he has no strengths. Sell.