• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

West Bromwich Albion 3 Chelsea 3

31 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

True but you know what I mean about that era. Paulo Ferreira was an excellent right back. Gallas could play CB or LB. He did allegedly say that about an own goal and then did famous sit down protest when at Arsenal. He was a bit mad but what a player.  When he left Cole slotted in . Did Makka ever play with Cole either? Don't think he did. Terry and Cech were the two pillars . Lebeouf was great when he arrived. It was solid as a rock with Mourinho mark 1 and we had continuity after. Steve Clarke was a cute number 2 as well. But it was about the quality of defensive players over that early Roman era. 

He certainly did, for two seasons till Maka went to PSG after the Moscow final.

Edited by Backbiter

1 hour ago, chara said:

Well said NB.....I know you don't live in the past anymore than I do but looking back does highlight how far we have to climb at the minute to emulate the winning sides we have had.

I am actually one of the few it seems that's really excited about the future. If we can shore up this defence ( and the addition of Mendy, Silva and Chilwell should help) we have an amazing team. Fitting them all in is the problem, but that's Lampards job. If he can't do it ( and I'm hoping he can) someone else will. 

I'm certainly not pacing the floor and wringing my hands with worry. The great shame is that our fans can't be there to witness this exciting season. 

chara   
18 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I am actually one of the few it seems that's really excited about the future. If we can shore up this defence ( and the addition of Mendy, Silva and Chilwell should help) we have an amazing team. Fitting them all in is the problem, but that's Lampards job. If he can't do it ( and I'm hoping he can) someone else will. 

I'm certainly not pacing the floor and wringing my hands with worry. The great shame is that our fans can't be there to witness this exciting season. 

No..I'm with you NB....a lot of natural pessimism..none of us want to put a curse by being too positive! The basis is there or nearly there for a special side and of course it's SFL's job to put it all together.....too many injuries and new comers to be introduced has over shadowed the "potential".

28 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

We have a very exciting group of players, with a couple of gaps and further trimming needed. I think we'll comfortably finish top 4 but it's not going to be easy - changing half of the first XI isn't easy at the best of times, let alone when you have no pre-season and have players arriving at different times and with very different levels of fitness. Things aren't going to settle down for a while, and after the next international break we have Champions League matches every midweek.

asvaberg   
On 26.9.2020 at 7:13 PM, PeteRobbo said:

How well is JT doing at Villa?

Aparently good; better than SFL.............

So far, unbeaten, no goals conceded - their defence obviously better than ours :)

Edited by asvaberg

chara   
38 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

We have a very exciting group of players, with a couple of gaps and further trimming needed. I think we'll comfortably finish top 4 but it's not going to be easy - changing half of the first XI isn't easy at the best of times, let alone when you have no pre-season and have players arriving at different times and with very different levels of fitness. Things aren't going to settle down for a while, and after the next international break we have Champions League matches every midweek.

Yep...unrealistic expectations will cloud judgement......although very early days and little playing time the 'new" players all look long term assets....Silva being the exception but hopefully a very positive influence for the short term investment.

For all the points about SFL's ability it has to be taken in to account that although he has a big group to pick from despite unavailibility, for what ever reason, of key players the big selection pool is very "samey" with no real obvious lineup as shown by the many combinations offered on here.

My hobby horse?...Jody Morris.....cannot but wonder if he is offering anything.

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Yes the trimming is going to be interesting. Who stays and who goes.  I really can't second guess this. I'm assuming one of Tammy or Giroud to go out. Alonso perhaps? AC on loan ( although seems a FL favourite.)  Kepa on loan?  Rumours of Jorghinho to Arsenal? CHO on loan as he is not going to see too many minutes. Busy days ahead. 

4 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Aparently good; better than SFL.............

So far, unbeaten, no goals conceded - their defence obviously better than ours :)

This season yes, at this early stage. What about last season?

4 hours ago, chara said:

My hobby horse?...Jody Morris.....cannot but wonder if he is offering anything.

My guess is that if Frank wasn't happy with what Jodi was 'offering', then Jodi wouldn't be there. 

chara   
Just now, Michael Tucker said:

My guess is that if Frank wasn't happy with what Jodi was 'offering', then Jodi wouldn't be there. 

Just now, Michael Tucker said:

Probably right MT...I am completely biased!....no excuse from me or rationalisation!..and again...great to see you back!!