• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 6 Barnsley 0

Watched the first half and seen highlights of the second half, so can't comment too much, but from what I saw the key points I'd make are:

- Tammy was superb, for me he has played himself into the team at the weekend, with  Werner - Havertz - Mount  playing behind him
- Havertz will be such a good player for us, the more confident he gets playing in this country, the better he will get
- Silva such a natural leader, I noticed before the game in the tunnel, he was there giving instructions to Azpilicueta, presumably in Spanish as he speak no English yet. He's going to be such an asset for us
- Tomori has to be in with a shout to be the partner to Silva, personally it's between him and Zouma for me.
- Barkley a great squad player

Now, let's hope we do something similar to WBA at the weekend, see if we can't get Werner a hat trick

2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Barnsley are a club which stayed in the championship on the last game of the season and managed to get 9 shots on target playing away to one of the PL elite clubs. WBA is going to be a tougher test

Man  Utd beat Luton Town who were almost relegated too , with a soft penalty , and two late , late , goals so all in all 6-0 is pretty impressive imho.

2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Watched the whole match live

6-0 scoreline is flattering

Going forward we looked lively and creative with pace, Harvetez getting a hatrick and the interplay between the front trio looked promising with CHO showing improvement

Defending had the usual frailties  with Barnsley having 14 shots with 9 being on target 3 has willy at full stretch. For all his experience Silva has a couple of moments and will be punished if he tries too many casual passes along and around the back line, Tamori had a solid game with a couple of lapses in positioning and is anotherone who is caught to often ball watching which is purely a coaching issue.

Barnsley are a club which stayed in the championship on the last game of the season and managed to get 9 shots on target playing away to one of the PL elite clubs. WBA is going to be a tougher test

I did not see the game, so cannot comment on the bolded. It's important to know the context of those shots though. If 5 of them were 25 yard pot shots from a lower league player trying to make a name for himself, then it's not really an issue.

How many of these 9 shots on target came from Barnsley creating chances and find spaces in our defence/midfield which led to shots from inside and around the area?

I would suggest that' the way we have to evaluate it really. I don't know the answer, because all I have seen is our goals from the game.

chelboy   

6-0 wasn’t flattering, we also missed 3/4 clear cut chances and all our goals weren’t exactly flukes. Barnsey chances mostly came from a lack of protection for the back 4. 

Just what you want from an early cup round. Great to see Havertz net himself a hat trick. Especially good for Tammy to get up and running too. Having said that, I did think Barnsley were pretty dreadful. Three of our goals came from individual errors and we could've had 8 or 9 as we missed some sitters as well. There was one mix up involving Silva in the first half but other than that he was good. I love watching his movement, he's a phenomenal defender. I expect to feel a lot more confident with him in the side. Good to see minutes for Chilwell too. Looking forward to having everyone fit. Hopefully Ziyech and/or Pulisic will see some action against West Brom. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention Ross Barkley. He missed a sitter but other than that I thought he looked good. I've really come around to him as a really useful squad player in the last 12 months. For a club like us it can be especially difficult to find the right players to flesh out the squad without really being potential starters. If it's between him and RLC to head out on loan or permanently, I'm afraid it should probably be RLC.

Edited by Bridge Soldier

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Not really - Barnsley had lots of chances, but we also missed some absolute sitters. Off the top of my head, CHO early on,  Mount with his left foot that went wide,  Barkley an open goal, and then Mount again which forced a really good save from their GK. 

We were maybe a bit fortunate to keep a clean sheet, but no way did 6-0 flatter us.  We should have scored 10. 

Worth bearing in mind too that with the exception of Mount and Havertz, the entire team have played less than one game of football so far this season.  It was the equivalent of the first pre-season friendly for most of them out there last night. 

You are right it could have been 10 but it works both ways, had Barnsley taken their chances they could have been 2 up before Tammy scored. It's a funny old game

2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

ing chances and find spaces in our defence/midfield which led to shots from inside and around the area?

Most of them

They may have had more pot shots from outside the area, had Kepa been in goals :0)

Jasonb   

I thought Barnsley were good opposition last night for us. We had to be careful as they threatened to open us up yet gave us the opportunity to experiment and bring in the new chaps.

Once the third went in I was confident we would win comfortably and arguably should have scored more.

Barkley was sensational first half in linking us together and took his goal well, wondered if Havertz was going to get penalised for that tackle.

Havertz's three goals were taken very well yet I am less sure about his general midfield play, he looks like a great no.10 but an ordinary midfield player.

Silva mostly looked good though there was a moment when it looked like he was going to handle in the box as Barnsley lobbed the ball over him.

Tammy put in a strong performance and took his goal well.

Emerson did ok, bizarrely looked good on the right though bear in mind we were 5-0 up then.

Similarly CHO looked poor on the left until he moved to the Right yet again we were 5-0 up.

Chilwell great cross for Olli.

I think Frank got the subs right last night and this should give the squad confidence for the visit to WBA.

I think if we want Havertz to shine we need to play a 4-2-3-1 and that means two dynamic midfielders in the two............. Frank will need to get his thinking cap on.

7 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

So has Zouma... Outstandingly well with no major errors. A CB just has to consistent and AC sadly isn't. I believe our first choice CBs will be Zouma and Silva. AC and Tomorri will be the back ups. Rudi may be sold as we would still get good money. 

Yep, agree about Zouma Nobly. I'd put him alongside Silva too, with Tomori available as well.

Classic example of why shots on goals (and therefore saves) can be so misleading.
we won by 11 shots on target to 9, but almost all their shots were soft, we also had a half dozen near misses that represented much better chances.

I guess there are no XG figures for the game, but 8 to 0.5 would be about right I reckon.

So the interesting question for me is how we were getting all those close range tap-ins that we so rarely get against PL opposition, and how we kept them out of our 6 yard box or counter-attacking.  (my guess is pace has something to do with it - it is the big difference between PL and Championship)

Abraham - glad someone mentioned him (Rob b?) he was very very good, and directly involved in the goals for Barkley, and Haverts (twice).

Abraham, Mount and Havertz were very very good.
No one else stood out and to be honest until we got the third we had a hard time either dominating the midfield or playing out from the back.
Indeed 2 of the first 3 came from Tammy and Kai winning the ball up high without the benefit of midfield support in the press..

Barkley had flashes, got a good goal when set up by Tammy and a bad miss later to match.
CHO cam alive when strangely he switched wings with Emerson (after Chilwell came on) and played on left.  He was very good from then on.  But it was already 5-0, everyone else but Giroud as sub had wound down, and it was already 80 mins into the game.  

Havertz was the good news. He plays more like a 2nd striker dropping short to receive the ball (Gudjohnsen say) as such he seems happier with Abraham who will occupy the front line than Werner who likes to drift wide (though a few games together might solve that).  Big and brave and prepared to take knocks (I hope his body is ready for the prem) but also very very skilful and with a lot of vision.
He reminded me very much of one particular player from my very early days as a fan, best not to put pressure on him and say it.
Havertz has heart.

Edited by Droy was my hero