• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Edouard Mendy

Ham   

I don't believe he's injured at all.  I reckon he just wants to be back at Cobham training before Kepa.  😉

• Like 1

chara   

Watched the "friendly" v Wales yesterday and truly wondered why "they" bothered..answering my own question I guess ..it was interesting to see what various Chelsea players did and other youngsters but it felt like..well...a preseason friendly ....

Whatever opinions anyone has on Michael Owen his career was effectively finished playing for the National side.......it's not so much the International games ...always a worry mid season but at this time of unusual circumstances what is the point?  How many other clubs are holding their breath waiting for the "International Break" to be over?

As an aside...Our Welsh lad certainly let Mr Grealish know who was watching him!

14 hours ago, Bison said:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2020/11/2/21546079/this-isn't-even-edouard-mendy-at-his-best-promises-chelsea-technical-advisor-petr-Cech

High praise.

Can't wait to see the finished article if Mendy is this good already and still nowhere near his peak.

I found this bit particularly interesting...

“We had to make sure it was someone everyone agreed on, not just me. It had to be the club, and especially the manager, who had to be comfortable with the choice.

“We had a list of goalkeepers. We presented it all to Frank Lampard. We talked with the scouts. We shared information. We gave the pros and cons of each goalkeeper. In the end, my knowledge of Édouard for the past three years helped.”

paulw66   
On 03/11/2020 at 9:02 AM, The_Ghost said:

I found this bit particularly interesting...

If he can work on his distribution a bit, think he'll be a very good signing. His extra height is making a clear difference. 

Its clear to anyone he has made a big difference .Probably the most damning indictment of Kepa is that Mendy has not actually done anything remotely special, yet still has made a huge difference.

I do like his confidence though, its an assured confidence that you want from a GK. Not an over confidence or gobshite the likes of Hart and Pickford display.

I was concerned the move might be too big for him, taking into account his limited experience at a high level in France. From his debut though, he looked comfortable and confident in his ability.

His distribution does need work, but early signs are that he could work out to be a fantastic signing and is already proving his value in helping the club improve.

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Its clear to anyone he has made a big difference .Probably the most damning indictment of Kepa is that Mendy has not actually done anything remotely special, yet still has made a huge difference.

I do like his confidence though, its an assured confidence that you want from a GK. Not an over confidence or gobshite the likes of Hart and Pickford display.

I was concerned the move might be too big for him, taking into account his limited experience at a high level in France. From his debut though, he looked comfortable and confident in his ability.

His distribution does need work, but early signs are that he could work out to be a fantastic signing and is already proving his value in helping the club improve.

yes. I commented at the end of last season that Willy was the better option, not because he was the better GK, but purely because he wasn't Kepa. 

Desperately need to get Kepa a loan in January 

Bison   

Nice to see how his former teammates practically mobbed him at the end. Seems like a really likeable character.

I've seen people question his distribution (or suggests he needs to work on it) but I haven't noticed it as being a problem. He's made what 2-3 wayward passes so far in 7 or so games (Man Utd pass being the most awkward and even that didn't lead to a goal).

He's a top class keeper. Just goes to show what even a little bit of scouting does at this level. That money wasted on Kepa could have been spent on 2-3 good players who actually contribute.

28 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Precisely. Many on here defended Kepa and said it was the defense and not him who sucked. Absolute horseshit. Kepa makes the defense worse die to his lack of ability. He doesn’t transfer any feeling of confidence and the defenders know that every second shot on goal will be a goal conceded. Imagine what that will do to a defender... 

Average goals conceded per game 

Kepa 2

(Brighton 1, Liverpool 2 and Southampton 3)

Mendy 0.14

(Tottenham 1, Palace 0, Sevilla 0, Man U 0, Krasnodar 0, Burnley 0 and Rennes 0)

Anyone thinking this is a coincidence better wake up. Like night and day. One has to wonder what last season could have been for us if we had a half decent keeper instead of an absolutely useless one. I’m serious, Kepa is one of the worst keepers I’ve ever seen at this level.