• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Edouard Mendy

38 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

That would be normal in a normal year where we weren't looking for a keeper. 
That is what scouting is about.
They might have aimed a bit differently though, perhaps at starting keepers with a big price rather than promising 19 year olds.

I expect it was more like 

1- Can they catch 

Bison   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

They might have aimed a bit differently though, perhaps at starting keepers with a big price rather than promising 19 year olds.

Indeed it is, signing Mendy is the result of proper scouting. Kepa clearly wasn't.

On 6-11-2020 at 2:52 PM, Bison said:

Indeed it is, signing Mendy is the result of proper scouting. Kepa clearly wasn't.

To be fair we were rushed into that by Courtois

Bison   
3 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

To be fair we were rushed into that by Courtois

There's no justification, it's unforgivable really. £72m on somebody they never really knew much about.

On 06/11/2020 at 0:28 PM, Droy was my hero said:

For an intelligent guy you really do contrive to make yourself look foolish sometimes. Either you are trolling (which is pointless), or you have deep-seated denial issues (which is pathological).

There was some stuff on here aimed at you which had the whiff of playground bullying and I was going to pitch in in your defence, but decided to leave it. I hate the attritional tone in here sometimes, but you are an important contributor; I don't want you to become a forum joke.

It is abundantly clear by any method of analysis, objective or subjective, that Mendy is a vast improvement on Kepa. Whether by subjective observation of his competence, or by an objective statistical analysis of his performance, Kepa has been an appalling keeper. Whether he can ever improve is a matter of conjecture, but how poor he has been is not and this is supported by Cech's comments on the rigour and urgency of the search for a new keeper.

• Like 2

chara   
2 hours ago, RDC Williams said:

For an intelligent guy you really do contrive to make yourself look foolish sometimes. Either you are trolling (which is pointless), or you have deep-seated denial issues (which is pathological).

There was some stuff on here aimed at you which had the whiff of playground bullying and I was going to pitch in in your defence, but decided to leave it. I hate the attritional tone in here sometimes, but you are an important contributor; I don't want you to become a forum joke.

It is abundantly clear by any method of analysis, objective or subjective, that Mendy is a vast improvement on Kepa. Whether by subjective observation of his competence, or by an objective statistical analysis of his performance, Kepa has been an appalling keeper. Whether he can ever improve is a matter of conjecture, but how poor he has been is not and this is supported by Cech's comments on the rigour and urgency of the search for a new keeper.

Well stated Sir...agree with ALL your points. I was looking at some old posts from 10 or more years back and was somewhat shocked at how many posters have faded out.

I appreciate some like to mix it with arguments but it can be very off putting. The forum can't afford to lose any of it's members.

On the Kepa saga....can't argue with his complete meltdown..for whatever reason...maybe a certain lack of mental toughness contributed but in some not very convinced defence of the transfer he is being picked for his country....so was Cabs I know but the transfer itself was worth a punt but not at the price it was quoted.

Not all transfers work out but seldom do they backfire as much as the one in question...and I stayed in hope behind him for longer than I should have...

4 hours ago, RDC Williams said:

Did you disagree with something I said?  Or are you just casting around for a reason to rant about Kepa?

paulw66   
18 hours ago, Bison said:

There's no justification, it's unforgivable really. £72m on somebody they never really knew much about.

That's conjecture, and not something I necessarily agree with.

Yes, Kepa has been an expensive mistake, but does that mean he wasn't scouted? Some signings just don't work out. He wont be the first or last, irresepective of scouting. 

Kepa was / is a Spanish international goalkeeper, who during the 2018 world cup, the Spanish media were clamouring for him to replace the under-fire Davdi de Gea in the national team. To suggest the Chelsea scouting team (or any of Europe's top sides) knew little about him is a huge stretch. I expect every major club in europe knew a lot about him. 

edit - the other common one I hear when a signing fails, "he was bought by the board", and when a signing succeeds, "he was bought by the manager" when in truth, all signings are the result of discussions between both. always have been

Edited by paulw66
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

That's conjecture, and not something I necessarily agree with.

Yes, Kepa has been an expensive mistake, but does that mean he wasn't scouted? Some signings just don't work out. He wont be the first or last, irresepective of scouting. 

Kepa was / is a Spanish international goalkeeper, who during the 2018 world cup, the Spanish media were clamouring for him to replace the under-fire Davdi de Gea in the national team. To suggest the Chelsea scouting team (or any of Europe's top sides) knew little about him is a huge stretch. I expect every major club in europe knew a lot about him. 

edit - the other common one I hear when a signing fails, "he was bought by the board", and when a signing succeeds, "he was bought by the manager" when in truth, all signings are the result of discussions between both. always have been

1st season, 3rd in the league, carabao cup final, europa cup winner. not bad for a crap keeper.

More than likely  Cech’s mate who’s head of goalkeeping at the club scouted him.

On 11/11/2020 at 8:23 AM, RobertoftheGiz said:

More than likely  Cech’s mate who’s head of goalkeeping at the club scouted him.

According to the gossip mill Lollichon was opposed to Kepa's signing and wanted Areola instead but was overruled. This is of course all 100% rumour and hearsay