• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 4 Crystal Palace 0

chelboy   

Well we have defended well. Havertz and Jorginho have played well. That’s about the only positives I can find. I feel a bit for Havertz. He’s been asked to do quite a lot in that 10 role. Our play is coming more from the right hand side because that’s where Havertz likes to link up. He’s more of a right sided no.8. It’s making Werner have no real involvement in the game because he has no midfielder close to him. I really think we need both Mount and Havertz in that midfield. Mount operates left side no.8 well which will help Werner and Chilwell  far more. It’s a bit unbalanced. Defensively we have played well though but I think this season our attacking is slightly unbalanced. 

Cannot wait for the second half. 

Let hope I can stay awake, and people ask why there is a bit of clogg towards Lampard. 

250 of additional playing staff same old problems with teams who put 11 behind the ball

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, RDC Williams said:

I think it's a bit much to expect any captain to be able to influence the behaviour of a maverick like Neymar.

Silva was brought in to resolve our defensive woes; since our club captain was not playing on the night I think it was perfectly reasonable to endow Thiago with the authority to carry out this brief. 

I agree about Pulisic though. He's a good wide man, but he's no Hazard and is not capable of carrying a team.

It's reasonable to expect Thiago to help organise our defence. I just don't agree that he should have been given the armband ahead of the older players, no matter how good a player he is. As it turned out, neither the defence nor the rest of the team seemed to benefit from his captainship in that match. 

Sir   

You have to play to Werner’s strengths. He has incredible pace and an incredible finishing ability, why aren’t we using it?! It just seems as well Werner plodding up front where he can’t utilise his pace is frustrating as he doesn’t seem the type of player to just hold the ball up and get others in to play. He’s a ruthless marksman and that’s what we need to help him with being. If we know how to play to his strengths he will score bucket loads.

3 minutes ago, Sir said:

Lampard said something rather odd in the press conference pre-match.. something on the lines he doesn’t know Werner’s best position..... as a forward, perhaps? Not on the wing? I don’t get it. It’s like Abraham comes on does well and then subsequently has to start the next game.. then if he does bad he’ll be dropped and the formation and 11 changes again and again and again. Werner as a forward every game is a must surely!

Yes sir! Seriously! Werner as the central striker is a must and we don't need 2 of them playing at the same time.

Everyone knows Werner is a striker primarily. Problem is we don't have any other fit wingers right now. One would hope Pulisic will come on in the second half.

Edited by Bridge Soldier

6 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

Also consider replacing Tammy with Pulisic by the 60 min mark. Werner can move to CF. 

Exactly!

Bison   
1 minute ago, Sir said:

You have to play to Werner’s strengths. He has incredible pace and an incredible finishing ability, why aren’t we using it?! It just seems as well Werner plodding up front where he can’t utilise his pace is frustrating as he doesn’t seem the type of player to just hold the ball up and get others in to play. He’s a ruthless marksman and that’s what we need to help him with being. If we know how to play to his strengths he will score bucket loads.

Because the opposition are sitting deep in numbers. Hardly any space for him to utilise his pace. He had one decent chance on the break and hit a tame shot at the keeper.

14 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Have we created any chance yet? At all? Labour.

Well we certainly created a lot better chances H1 against WBA  :)

I'm very happy with a first half cautious approach, we can lift it H2 if necessary

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

I've criticised Jorginho a lot but that just may be the best half of football he's ever played in a Chelsea shirt. Nothing outstanding but he hasn't been a liability and his passing has been on point today.

He is a great player, today gives some hints why.
Compare the WBA game where we gave 2 goals away from possession in our own half.  Jorginho's movement, imaginative position taking (very often as a 3rd CB to give more options), safe passing and most importance the threat  he is on the ball is making the game so much easier for everyone else.  
They try to mark Jorginho and Kante and the CBs have as much time as they like.
And some terriffic through balls to Werner and Tammy.

32 minutes ago, Bridge Soldier said:

I love Ben Chilwell already.

Chilwell, Werner, Havertz, I'm purring.
All good so far from what we have seen, but it it havertz that gets me off my seat.

4 minutes ago, Sir said:

Lampard said something rather odd in the press conference pre-match.. something on the lines he doesn’t know Werner’s best position.....

Honest of him at least.  Worrying he thinks he can say that.

Ham   

Surprised at all the negativity on here already.  We looked well balanced and well in control.  Some really good performances so far.