• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Tottenham Hotspur 1 (5) Chelsea 1 (4) (on penalties)

Ham   
18 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Just looked up Frank's win ratio, doesn't make very pleasant reading.

60 games now, won 31, drawn 9, lost 20.

Even more worrying is weve conceded 96 goals in that time. 

For a comparison Sarri was here for 63 games and won 40, drew 11, lost 12. Conceded 67.

How on earth did we get top 4?

Rob B   

I’ll start with the negatives:

• We looked gassed second half and Frank took way too long to change it 

• Emerson caught sleeping at the back post. Precisely why he’ll never be first choice 

• Giroud had a shocker andJorginho is so easy to bypass / generally non-existent without the ball. 

• Two great opportunities to kill the game squandered. Mount in particular should have done way better with teeing up Werner 

• Bit concerning Werner didn’t take a penalty. Cramp or no cramp, it’s kicking a ball?? I’m probably reading way too much into this but hope he’s not got a Torres/Morata type mentality

Positives:

• Werner got his first goal which must be a weight off his shoulders 

• Although he’ll improve further over the coming weeks, Chilwell is clearly going to strengthen us at LB

• Mendy generally looked pretty good. I don’t think he’s top tier, but will defo improve us defending set pieces if nothing else. 

• Tomori had another good game and deserves a run in the team IMO

chelboy   
5 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I know this wasn't a league game but I saw a stat earlier that Frank has fielded 20 different back lines in 41 league appearances. Not sure how that compares with others, but sounds insane.

Very insane, this season we should get less combinations. I only see 6 defenders that should be the main core of this team. 3 CB’s and 3 full backs. For the 3 full backs it’s pretty obvious who they should be. The two CB’s its pretty obvious but the 3rd CB Frank would most likely put Christensen over Tomori. If we still have more than 6 core defenders then I would be very surprised. 

paulw66   
25 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

For a comparison Sarri was here for 63 games and won 40, drew 11, lost 12. Conceded 67.

The goals against is the most worrying.

Losing Hazard excuses the goals for (which ironically hasn't been the problem) but the consistent defensive errors don't show much sign of going away 

10 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Very insane, this season we should get less combinations. I only see 6 defenders that should be the main core of this team. 3 CB’s and 3 full backs. For the 3 full backs it’s pretty obvious who they should be. The two CB’s its pretty obvious but the 3rd CB Frank would most likely put Christensen over Tomori. If we still have more than 6 core defenders then I would be very surprised. 

It's still early days but Chelsea are looking bang average, there's just no clear style of play. Frank is just winging it he doesn't really know what he's doing and definitely not getting the best out of his players.

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, chelboy said:

We have 10 defenders. That's about 3 too many. Whenever we have a bad result , it tends to result in a change in personnel 

Of all areas on the pitch, defence is where you need to rotate the least 

chelboy   
28 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Goals conceded is the worrying part. Shouldn’t be that high. In regards to the wins Sarri had the Europa league to be fair which only became a challenge by the semi’s. We also reached the Carabao cup final that year and played easy teams except for Spurs and City. Last year we reached the FA cup having to play Liverpool, Leicester, Manu and Arsenal. But like I said goals conceded shouldn’t be that high.

Blue Rod   
28 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Statistics tell half the rot. I honestly think the best thing for the club would be for Lampard to ask for an emergency meeting with Bruce Buck and bring this to an end. There is absolutely no sense of direction is what is happening on the field at the moment. The senior players have given up or disappeared, the younger ones are running like headless chickens.  

chelboy   
2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

We have 10 defenders. That's about 3 too many. Whenever we have a bad result , it tends to result in a change in personnel 

Of all areas on the pitch, defence is where you need to rotate the least 

Agreed, I was talking about what our main core should be like. Two clear CB’s as first choice and a clear 3rd choice. Right back is a bit tricky with James and Azpi. Certain games we might need one or the other. LB is a clear choice. Azpi back up LB. Emerson/Alonso should only get games when every other choice is unavailable. 

I would say tonights line up at the back is pretty close to our 1st choice I reckon. Only Silva to come in. I see less rotation at the back this year. Less Emerson and Alonso’s playing. Probably less game time for Tomori too if he’s 4th choice. 

The problem with a clear CB is difficult. If we're being honest none of them are currently at the level that we come to expect or required to be champions domestically and in Europe.

They all have positives and negatives.

Tomori has youth speed and potential going for him but, still looks naive in his play.

Zouma is an out and out defender but, his ball skills let him down.

Christiansen is the best footballer but has been bullied in games and is prone to a mistake. 

Silva a few years ago would've been the player and leader we're looking for and the calibre of player we're after. Can he still give that to us?? 

Rudiger - I guess that he's going. He has the potential to be very good and nailed on starter but, his performances are so erratic.

Therefore, there is no stand out winner. One week Zouma will look good and the next Tomori.. 

Tomori and Zouma looked okay in the first half but, when we were under more pressure you could see that their positioning was starting to go .  Either way this is the hand that Frank has been dealt and he needs to find a way of playing it and then stick to it.

We may not have world class CB(unless Silva does continue his champ league form), but, we can certainly help by picking a consistent back line and hopefully have a confident keeper behind them.