• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Tottenham Hotspur 1 (5) Chelsea 1 (4) (on penalties)

8 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

You genuinely think that last year, with the squad we had they wouldn't have played?

Who would have played when Azpilicueta couldnt?

Giroud would have played every minute of every game?

Mount wouldn't have played when the only alternative to him was Barkley?

Do people really think that our previous managers, hugely successful ones at that wouldn't see that Tammy, Mount and James were good enough to play last year, especially with the transfer ban and state of our squad?

In fairness, I think Sarri would have kept Higuain last season and Tammy would have gone out on loan again. 

52 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

You genuinely think that last year, with the squad we had they wouldn't have played?

Who would have played when Azpilicueta couldnt?

Giroud would have played every minute of every game?

Mount wouldn't have played when the only alternative to him was Barkley?

Do people really think that our previous managers, hugely successful ones at that wouldn't see that Tammy, Mount and James were good enough to play last year, especially with the transfer ban and state of our squad?

The transfer ban had the potential to slightly change the situation. The general conversation here was around JM and Conte tenure and players being given chance though.

Ref the Azpilicueta question. I imagine likely that Zappacosta would have taken that role. If we work on Sarri being manager last season, who will Sarri know more about. Zappacosta or Reece James ?

Tammy m ay have had to have a chance alongside Giroud last season. It was transfer ban that would have forced that situation, not Sarri by example ( I am using Sarri as he was recent manager who would have faced this scenario)

No Mount would not have played, he would have been out on loan again. 

So overall, you are really using the transfer ban as the reason for managers to potentially give some of the younger players a chance. That's not what is really being debated though. Droy is saying these players got their chance because they were so good and at a much higher level than other young players in the same scenario.

No transfer ban and Lampard still the manager last season. These players would still have been given a chance, that would not have been the case based on our last three managers before Lampard. 

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

11 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

The transfer ban had the potential to slightly change the situation. The general conversation here was around JM and Conte tenure and players being given chance though.

Ref the Azpilicueta question. I imagine likely that Zappacosta would have taken that role. If we work on Sarri being manager last season, who will Sarri know more about. Zappacosta or Reece James ?

Tammy m ay have had to have a chance alongside Giroud last season. It was transfer ban that would have forced that situation, not Sarri by example ( I am using Sarri as he was recent manager who would have faced this scenario)

No Mount would not have played, he would have been out on loan again. 

So overall, you are really using the transfer ban as the reason for managers to potentially give some of the younger players a chance. That's not what is really being debated though. Droy is saying these players got their chance because they were so good and at a much higher level than other young players in the same scenario.

No transfer ban and Lampard still the manager last season. These players would still have been given a chance, that would not have been the case based on our last three managers before Lampard. 

Well I apologise for getting my wires crossed, assumed you were talking about  last season as it's when they started playing under the current manager.

I guess the counter argument then will be would Frank have played them before last year as quite clearly any manager would have picked them last season, not just because of the transfer  ban but also the state of the squad.

Rather pointless discussion then as we will never know.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

I guess the counter argument then will be would Frank have played them before last year as quite clearly any manager would have picked them last season, not just because of the transfer  ban but also the state of the squad.

Well that is an interesting question, should they have played in 18/19.  But I do think it is in the clubs interest that they played in the Championship that year (and very much in their own).  And with the possible exception of the eldest and most experienced, Abraham,  I don't think they could  be confident that any would be ready for more than 5 games.  The smart move (as with Christensen aged 19/20) was a loan.

And of course the more practical problem is not with hindsight could a Lampard have used Mount, James or Tomori in 18/19.
But could we have done it with only foresight.
And with only foresight should we also have added Sterling, Baker, Brown, Bamford, Clarke-Salter, Chalobah either, or any of a dozen other young players who were sent off on loan without ever getting an initial chance in the first team.

On 10/1/2020 at 0:33 PM, NoblyBobly said:

It really is all that needs to be said but its been conspicuous by its absence. Any coach here walks a tightrope...we know that.

I don't know why these   early reactions niggles at me so much but they just do. I had another argument with a poster who back in Feb admitted that if Lamps got top 4 it would be a terrific personal achievement. But when it happened zero acknowledgement just start the next round of moaning and groaning and dooming and glooming before the poor bloke has had a chance to choose whose in whose out and what formations are working best for our playing staff. Frank is not a managerial genius , he is learning on the job so for fec sake can we not give him a chance this season? We've had 5 games in total . If we had lost them all of them I would be fearing the worst. We haven't. We won two , drawn two ,lost one. Whether its Lampard or not, its still just a young coach trying bloody hard to do a good job. He did well last season, this season is a different challenge , so lets get behind him ( call it as we see it for sure) but at least have a bit of patience. 

For a business man; end results matter in investment. Time is of the essence in a competitive investment environment. A lot is at stake, brother.

1 hour ago, ugogbuzue said:

For a business man; end results matter in investment. Time is of the essence in a competitive investment environment. A lot is at stake, brother.

Is it? You and I might think so, but to the owners of major football clubs it might very well amount to nothing more than a bit on the side.

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Is it? You and I might think so, but to the owners of major football clubs it might very well amount to nothing more than a bit on the side.

I get the billion here, a yacht or 3 there, a few more billion there point.
But you don't get to keep those billions unless you consistently hire good people and fire them as soon as the slip.
Yacht or Football club, it is meant to work