• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 3 Southampton 3

Kezza   

It is baffling how Lamps emerged from the transfer window without a proper world class defensive reinforcement. One that you pay money for and not a one year stop gap like Thiago. He banked on Rice whole summer and that to is for wanting to turn him from a midfielder to a centreback. It's ok if he thinks he has enough players which is true but not counting on Rudiger and Tomori and blind faith in AC takes the cake.

Sir   

I just can’t see us improving particularly under Lampard. If you think about it we really are so inconsistent. We have such wonderful attacking options. Werner to me looks like he has the potential to score bucket loads given the right formation and service etc

I never thought Lampard being manager here was the right move I really didn’t, and I still don’t. May sound harsh but the sooner he’s gone the better. Perhaps this opinion will sound harsh to many. But given the investment, how the club usually operates, this season could be over before its even begin with Lampard at the helm unfortunately. Already out the league cup, a few iffy CL results and it won’t be looking good, and a few more bad results in the league and slowly but surely you get out pretty far behind pretty quickly. Even with our defence and our goalkeeper, with a competent manager I reckon we could of potentially had a title chance, purely because City look a little iffy, Liverpool with out Van Dijk and Becker for a while, and this league really does look a little open. The longer Lampard stays the more a write off this season will potentially be. I just can’t see us improving or being consistent with him I really can’t. His post match interviews really are same shit different day.

I think Poch could be a good option here, or that other Argentine in Madrid but I don’t know how easy that would be exactly. I genuinely believe a competent manager could work wonders with this squad, who knows even help the defence/goalkeeping situation. 

Kezza   

As much as we want a manager who knows his stuff and has been proven to work wonders, we just can't go back to our previous mode of operation of chopping and changing managers I think. I think its clear to see the successful model of City and Pool breeds identity and consistency. Chopping and changing hasn't given us any identity for years. I believe Arsenal will do the same with Arteta. We ought to be doing the same and I have a feeling the club wants to change its ways too. But unfortunately not sure if Lamps is the guy for the club to have faith in as he did not have any experience to show besides Derby. At least Pep was properly assessed with Barca youth teams for a while before being given the faith. Zidane as well. Arteta was learning from Pep himself. What does Lamps have to back him up? I suggest he go manage Derby again for a few years and bring them up to the PL before getting anymore such big roles.

Bison   

Sad to say but right now it feels like we're just wasting valuable time with Lampard and his staff rather than building the team to compete and win in the next few years.

Rob B   
8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Rudiger?  Alonso?  Christensen?  Kante?

All pretty explainable to me....

Rudiger - bad injury, form hasn’t been the same as before.  Genuinely think that between Silva and Chilwell, with a solid goalie behind him, he could rediscover that form. 

Alonso - isn’t good enough and never has been. Playing a 3 atb masked over his deficiencies massively and we more often than not don’t play that system. Chilwell’s last two performances tell you everything you need to know about Alonso and Emerson. 

Christensen - is very, very good for large majorities of games and will switch off or lose a man and cost the team goals.  Has done this under Conte and Sarri and at the time people said it was his age / confidence.  Criticism of Frank in this respect should be why Tomori isn’t playing?? 

Kante - Played less than half of our games last season.  Was great in some (Liverpool super cup) and poor in others but not surprising if you’re constant dealing with recurring injuries.  Maybe one to point at Frank / our Medical team or maybe a result of previous managers overplaying him? Who know’s but this isn’t a man-management, tactical issue.  Frank plays him exactly the same way as Sarri. 

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Its strange coz you seemed quite chipper after the Palace game ...what's happened to reverse that?

We played well against Palace and I said so, other than that we have been **** all season.

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

And you must have an inkling of why he decided not to defend as a team from day one this season. What IYO was Lampards rational. It can be as crazy as you like.

Never said we dont defend as a team, I said from day one Frank should have come in and made us defend better as a team. That means a solid, settled back line. Not changing players every match. Not changing formation every match. It also means that the whole team need to do there bit yet we cut cut open, with ease, every single match. All these things are 100% on the manager and he has done nothing to change any of it. We are going backwards. 62 games now and ther is still no sign he can change things. In those 62 games we gave conceded 99 goals, another 3 yesterday against another mid table team.

Whats his rationale? He hasnt got one, is completely out of his depth and will not survive the next 5 league games.

6 hours ago, Kezza said:

It is baffling how Lamps emerged from the transfer window without a proper world class defensive reinforcement. One that you pay money for and not a one year stop gap like Thiago. He banked on Rice whole summer and that to is for wanting to turn him from a midfielder to a centreback. It's ok if he thinks he has enough players which is true but not counting on Rudiger and Tomori and blind faith in AC takes the cake.

in a nutshell

Woke up to find the game is not on the official site for once.  Disappointed. I guess sometimes they wait till Monday.

7 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I could even make the point quite happily months ago...before I even knew if he had a club foot or one eye in the middle of his forehead.   It would be staggering if we bought a pro keeper who was worse than the one we have because the one we have is the worse in the Prem. Certainly the stats suggest that and every neutral observer will tell you that ( try asking). 

You were making it a year ago - about unknown keepers (and Cabs).

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Rudiger?  Alonso?  Christensen?  Kante?

All pretty explainable to me....

Thought they might be.

6 hours ago, Sir said:

I just can’t see us improving particularly under Lampard. If you think about it we really are so inconsistent. We have such wonderful attacking options. Werner to me looks like he has the potential to score bucket loads given the right formation and service etc

I never thought Lampard being manager here was the right move I really didn’t, and I still don’t. May sound harsh but the sooner he’s gone the better. Perhaps this opinion will sound harsh to many. But given the investment, how the club usually operates, this season could be over before its even begin with Lampard at the helm unfortunately. Already out the league cup, a few iffy CL results and it won’t be looking good, and a few more bad results in the league and slowly but surely you get out pretty far behind pretty quickly. Even with our defence and our goalkeeper, with a competent manager I reckon we could of potentially had a title chance, purely because City look a little iffy, Liverpool with out Van Dijk and Becker for a while, and this league really does look a little open. The longer Lampard stays the more a write off this season will potentially be. I just can’t see us improving or being consistent with him I really can’t. His post match interviews really are same **** different day.

I think Poch could be a good option here, or that other Argentine in Madrid but I don’t know how easy that would be exactly. I genuinely believe a competent manager could work wonders with this squad, who knows even help the defence/goalkeeping situation. 

Ouch but yes.  I'm relieved to hear I am not the only one who switches off at  the sound of his media professional voice.

(Except no Poch - have people forgotten the disgrace of the Clattenberg backed assault back in 2016?.  Both should have been banned from football after that.  Fatty was a more justifiable choice.  At least he had won something.)

Holymoly   
6 hours ago, Kezza said:

I'm not sure Frank is entirely to blame on that one. Surely at some point there must have been a plan B when it became blatantly apparent that WHU weren't going to let Rice go. Silva smacks to me of a plan C as it is the quintessential stop gap. Maybe we are expecting someone to become available in January? It would be interesting to replay that game with Mendy and Silva though.

Regarding the acquisitions we did make however I don't think anyone would criticise them. We bought because of their quality and their availability. The bald fact is that there was not the similar pool of defensive players available and one could argue this has been the case for a couple of years now. Who has come into the league since van Dijk that could be described as world class? Maybe it's the coaching. Maybe we have to stop expecting to see back fours like 10 years ago. Maybe the game has moved on and defense is now a seven player conundrum. To be honest I don't see the GK plus back four as stand alone issue. We need to look at the players involved in transition. The midfielders that add to both attack and defense. I think that is where the  true problem is as we don't have any that add value in both phases of play.

I'd like to think the spend we saw in the summer is the beginning of a structured revamp and it was just unfortunate that there weren't any defenders good enough to be considered in the last window. Maybe that was the point of Silva. Bring him in and try to engender some sort of ethos to the existing players while searching out replacements. For that to work however Thiago Silva needs to play not sit on the sidelines recovering from a first class flight from Rio.

Holymoly   
6 hours ago, Sir said:

I never thought Lampard being manager here was the right move I really didn’t, and I still don’t. May sound harsh but the sooner he’s gone the better. Perhaps this opinion will sound harsh to many. But given the investment, how the club usually operates, this season could be over before its even begin with Lampard at the helm unfortunately. Already out the league cup, a few iffy CL results and it won’t be looking good, and a few more bad results in the league and slowly but surely you get out pretty far behind pretty quickly.

It's a shame we're not allowed in the stadium for games as unfortunately these sorts of posts from the vocal minority are just going to get louder in that vacuum.