• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

Rob B   
3 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

To be fair Rob, those are 3 very significant areas for improvement.

Yeah of course, not sure anyone is saying he is perfect. 

I’ve been a manager in my 9-5 for about 15 years and I think back to the things that I was doing 2 years in, compared to now, and cringe. 

Everyone is very quick to focus on Frank’s shortcomings but I don’t see much credit for his obvious strengths e.g.

Attacking play/style, Recruitment, Man-management, Playing people on form not reputation, Internal Relationships, PR/Media etc 

He has got a lot to build on... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
23 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Yeah of course, not sure anyone is saying he is perfect. 

I’ve been a manager in my 9-5 for about 15 years and I think back to the things that I was doing 2 years in, compared to now, and cringe. 

Everyone is very quick to focus on Frank’s shortcomings but I don’t see much credit for his obvious strengths e.g.

Attacking play/style, Recruitment, Man-management, Playing people on form not reputation, Internal Relationships, PR/Media etc 

He has got a lot to build on... 

I like a good positive post 👍

Good point about learning from experience in all walks of life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Rob B said:

 Everyone is very quick to focus on Frank’s shortcomings but I don’t see much credit for his obvious strengths e.g.

Attacking play/style, Recruitment, Man-management, Playing people on form not reputation, Internal Relationships, PR/Media etc 

He has got a lot to build on... 

Great post, Rob. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rob B said:

Yeah of course, not sure anyone is saying he is perfect. 

I’ve been a manager in my 9-5 for about 15 years and I think back to the things that I was doing 2 years in, compared to now, and cringe. 

Everyone is very quick to focus on Frank’s shortcomings but I don’t see much credit for his obvious strengths e.g.

Attacking play/style, Recruitment, Man-management, Playing people on form not reputation, Internal Relationships, PR/Media etc 

He has got a lot to build on... 

Very, very well put. He does have a strong base to build upon and if we want him to become a top manager he will need time. Maybe we hired him too soon (certainly my viewpoint when he was hired) but hired he was. So either we give him time or we don’t make the appointment in the first place. 

Sacking him now because he isn’t a top class manager would make us look foolish imo. 

Edited by The_Ghost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rob B said:

Yeah of course, not sure anyone is saying he is perfect. 

I’ve been a manager in my 9-5 for about 15 years and I think back to the things that I was doing 2 years in, compared to now, and cringe. 

Everyone is very quick to focus on Frank’s shortcomings but I don’t see much credit for his obvious strengths e.g.

Attacking play/style, Recruitment, Man-management, Playing people on form not reputation, Internal Relationships, PR/Media etc 

He has got a lot to build on... 

I'll give you the attacking play, though it clearly has its drawbacks.
Recruitment is clearly Marina's area, this is all blue sky recruitment and other than Silva, very little seems to be planned by a day to day manager.
Form not reputation I don't get.  
Internal relations from what I can see are poor - at least poor with Rudiger, Kepa, Alonso, Jorginho  and other players that were once key for us and ought to be amongst his best players (Sure I know we don't really now what goes on, but what we see indicates poor rather than good).
PR/Media  - I guess it is just me, or just a few of us, I find him slick, rather obvious and adding no news value at all.

Barkley and RLC have got "a lot to build on".  They are off on loan because they just aren't doing it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob B   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'll give you the attacking play, though it clearly has its drawbacks.
Recruitment is clearly Marina's area, this is all blue sky recruitment and other than Silva, very little seems to be planned by a day to day manager.
Form not reputation I don't get.  
Internal relations from what I can see are poor - at least poor with Rudiger, Kepa, Alonso, Jorginho  and other players that were once key for us and ought to be amongst his best players (Sure I know we don't really now what goes on, but what we see indicates poor rather than good).
PR/Media  - I guess it is just me, or just a few of us, I find him slick, rather obvious and adding no news value at all.

Barkley and RLC have got "a lot to build on".  They are off on loan because they just aren't doing it now.


Marina’s area in terms of signing off the deal and getting them done, of course, and she’s one of the best in the world for it, but I don’t think she’s sat in her office watching videos of left-backs for hours upon end 😂

I’m all for sharing the credit between Scott McLachlan and Petr Cecil etc too, but it’s clear as day that this latest batch of signings have a hugely different feel to them. In fact, they’ve gone from absolutely piss poor - Morata, Kepa, Bakayoko, Zappacosta to the best young talent in the world.  And I don’t believe for one second that Lampard isn’t talking to Tammy and Mason about Ben Chilwell on England duties etc. There’s no way on this planet Lamaprd hasn’t influenced most of those deals.

Form not reputation is simple - he doesn’t care how old, how highly paid, how expensive a signing or big a voice in the dressing room, you will be dropped if you’re not performing. Eg Kepa, Rudiger, Jorginho etc.  That is to be admired in my opinion. 

And finally, I am also starting to find his interviews a bit bland if I’m honest, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a PR Manager’s dream.  He will never say anything controversial or bring the club into disrepute like some other managers we may have had, and has a warm, approachable side  to him that the media will warm to. Obviously this is not related directly to the football side, but he is still an employee at the end of the day..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I’m all for sharing the credit between Scott McLachlan and Petr Cecil etc too, but it’s clear as day that this latest batch of signings have a hugely different feel to them. In fact, they’ve gone from absolutely piss poor - Morata, Kepa, Bakayoko, Zappacosta to the best young talent in the world.  And I don’t believe for one second that Lampard isn’t talking to Tammy and Mason about Ben Chilwell on England duties etc. There’s no way on this planet Lamaprd hasn’t influenced most of those deals.

 

Well this all started with the sacking of Conte.  While you might not like Kepa and we may have overpaid, he certainly looked like the best young thing still available.  Likewise Jorginho was a star and Pulisic bought in Jan 2019 was a star talent.
The switch from loads of ordinary players to a handful of star talents is best explained as anend of Conte's brief period of control.  What we have now is very similar to the 2011-14  period where under multiple managers we had a consistent policy of buying the best available young talent and paying full prices for them while removing a lot of older members from teh squad and keeping squad numbers low (while lending out anyone not ready).
This is traditional Chelsea policy, not Lampard policy (or AVB policy or RDM policy or Benitez policy).

56 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Form not reputation is simple - he doesn’t care how old, how highly paid, how expensive a signing or big a voice in the dressing room, you will be dropped if you’re not performing. Eg Kepa, Rudiger, Jorginho etc.  That is to be admired in my opinion. 

???Kepa wasn't dropped till months after 90% of fans were demanding it (= Christensen now).
Rudiger was never the worst defender, and certainly not 5th.  Jorginho was never dropped on form, but only for reasons unexplained (likely to be the expectation of a move to Juve under Sarri)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.