• Current Donation Goals

5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

. At this moment in time we need to solidify our defence. Chilwel Zouma Silva Dave with Mendy in goal is head and shoulders our best line up.

I guess four of those amigos will use the Marcel Marceau phrase book to communicate with Chilwel. 

9 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

obviously 3 points would be brill and is what we would like, but a draw for in current circumstances ( no home crowd to will us on) would be ok against a strong team in the group. A defeat is not a disaster but it puts so much pressure on for next couple of games. I'd like a solid disciplined performance with a clean sheet. 

Disagree- A Draw is not an option with CL home games.

All teams will target 9 pts from their home matches, as this will normally guarantee qualification to the KO stage. 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz
Kak glasses from specsavers

Ham   
1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

The Aspi v James is not a tricky one for me right now. Our main problem has been leaking goals. We have a wealth of attacking options . We need 2 proper full backs who can give us options going forward but primarily know how to defend. This is Chilwel and Dave. At this moment in time we need to solidify our defence. Chilwel Zouma Silva Dave with Mendy in goal is head and shoulders our best line up. The moment AC or Kepa comes into the equation it can all break down. James will see plenty of games but for the big ones its Dave. Solid skipper too.

Agree to disagree on Azpi v James.

Azpi's ball retention and decision making is truly abysmal these days. He's constantly putting his teammates and himself under pressure.  He receives the ball, moves forward a few yards, stops, runs back a few yards and then passes back inside to the CB. 

James showed for England just how good quick his feet and his mind are.  

Add to that his threat going forward and we wouldn't necessarily miss Ziyech when he's not on the pitch.  

They offer great balance with Reece and Chilwell putting in good quality early crosses. 

29 minutes ago, Ham said:

Add to that his threat going forward and we wouldn't necessarily miss Ziyech when he's not on the pitch.  

They offer great balance with Reece and Chilwell putting in good quality early crosses. 

It would help the team if they mastered their primary job of defending first. 

35 minutes ago, Ham said:

They do do this (don't dey) I just wish they took turns and one stayed behind when the other one sallied forth.

Ham   
14 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

It would help the team if they mastered their primary job of defending first. 

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

They do do this (don't dey) I just wish they took turns and one stayed behind when the other one sallied forth.

Baby steps 🙂

bert19   
26 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

They wouldn't necessarily have to do that if the midfield balance is right.  Both full-back can play quite high if the midfield two in the pivot (or the holding player) are mobile and positionally aware. 

I personally don't see a huge problem if the two in front of the CBs are positionally and tactically sound enough to screen the two CBs and ensure that teams can't just play through the middle of us on the counter if the FBs push up.  You'd think that Kante and Kovacic should be ok for that as they both cover ground quite well and win the ball effectively (Jorginho in a system like that would be suicidal though).  Plus both the FBs mentioned are pretty mobile, so should know they need to make recovery runs if play breaks down. 

I feel like that system can only work with James and Chilwell though.  Emerson isn't good enough to do it and Dave might not be mobile enough now (plus he crosses really well from deeper positions) 

A system with a solid four in the middle (two CMs/DMs and two CBs) should offer enough defensive cover to not leave us exposed whilst allowing the front four to play higher and the full-backs to stretch the play and make overlaps behind the defensive lines of the opposition.  Whether we currently have the tactical nous to play a system like that though, I'm less sure.  

16 hours ago, Ham said:

I'm arranging a Cher lookalike competition.

I'm calling it Cher and Cher-a-like

😬

Hey! Very nice! Is that from your book of ad-libs?

3 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

But we do? Who are they if I may ask? Werner, Havertz and Pulisic has the potential to be superstars but they are not there yet imo. Silva is a former superstar and as for Kanté? Well, he sure ain't performing like one and hasn't done so for a good while.  

Starting XI should pick itself;

----------------------Mendy

Azpilicueta-Silva-Zouma-Chilwell

------------Kanté---------Kovacic

Mount----------Havertz--------Pulisic

---------------------Werner

Subs: Caballero, James, Tomori, Jorginho, Hudson-Odoi, Ziyech, Abraham

Will be a very, very tough game this. Sevilla is probably the best team in the group and have quite a few really good players in Navas, Diego Carlos, Rakitic, Fernando, Ocampos, Suso, De Jong and Munir. 

Agree with you about Seville's strength Ghost, as well as your line-up largely, but I don't like Mount wide right and would probably prefer CHO for this with Ziyech waiting on the bench.

3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

The Aspi v James is not a tricky one for me right now. Our main problem has been leaking goals. We have a wealth of attacking options . We need 2 proper full backs who can give us options going forward but primarily know how to defend. This is Chilwel and Dave. At this moment in time we need to solidify our defence. Chilwel Zouma Silva Dave with Mendy in goal is head and shoulders our best line up. The moment AC or Kepa comes into the equation it can all break down. James will see plenty of games but for the big ones its Dave. Solid skipper too.

We need authority and solidity in midfield in front of the defence too, but I'm not sure we have that available.