• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Burnley 0 Chelsea 3

bert19   
21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I suspect the VAR room (or the nearby Green room) is a major problem.
I always reckoned that the big problem with refs is that they all got together on a Monday and sympathised with each other, and blamed JM or whoever was the pet hate of the day rather than took responsibility for their errors.  A mind set arose that justified all refs decisions and blamed anyone who pointed out errors.  It also aligned with the pro Red media.

I reckon refs getting together in Stockley is making it worse.

I think you might be right.  The VAR & Green Room is their safe space.  They can make whatever mistakes they do or make deliberately biased calls completely insulated from the outside World. They never have to explain themselves or apologise/own up to mistakes (remember when Durkin owned up to one on MOTD and was acknowledged positively by the media? It didn't happen again!) 

The complaints about players' behaviour to Refs is always highlighted, but there's never a focus the other way round.  Refs can behave like Clattenberg and Foy did to us by just making it up as they go and/or selectively applying the rules and they never face consequences for it.  But there's never an attempt to bridge the gap or explain themselves properly.  Or there's the classic "I'm not talking to you, go away" ploy.  Often used, rarely questioned. 

If the Refs sometimes showed more respect to the players, then maybe they'd find it easier to control them and could reasonably expect and apply a better standard of behaviour from them. 

I once found myself sat on the next table to Howard Webb and a couple of his FA/Ref colleagues in the lounge after an ISFA U18 Cup Final and overheard some of what he was talking about (Martin Atkinson had reffed the game itself.  I went back in after FT as the lasagne was nice, so I opted for a 2nd helping). 

He was chatting like it's a sort of lads club - they all refer to each other with nicknames, gossip about games etc.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if there's now a Whatsapp group going with all of the gripes and "watch out for him" or "this manager gave me grief after the game" going on.  Also wouldn't shock me at all if it was a Ref or Refs that are leaking certain stories to the press about various topics that pop up right after matches.  They're involved in a lot on matchdays and have access to the players/staff that few others do.  They also enjoy a bit of an "above suspicion" luxury.  

paulw66   

So, Burnley have 1 point so far, and struggling for goals. 

This has got home win with a couple of goals for a player who hasn't scored since February 2019 notching for them 

asvaberg   
19 hours ago, paulw66 said:

So, Burnley have 1 point so far, and struggling for goals. 

This has got home win with a couple of goals for a player who hasn't scored since February 2019 notching for them 

This has a 0-0 result written all over it :) ............... or maybe not.................

Chrisb   

Quietly confident about this game. Silva will be back, Mendy didn’t suffer some freak injury in Russia so he’ll play and James will be back in. Who the midfield might be is a mystery to me but they’re all decent players so I’m not too worried. If we can nick a 1 nil like Sp*ds did I’ll be more than happy!

asvaberg   
39 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

Quietly confident about this game. Silva will be back, Mendy didn’t suffer some freak injury in Russia so he’ll play and James will be back in. Who the midfield might be is a mystery to me but they’re all decent players so I’m not too worried. If we can nick a 1 nil like Sp*ds did I’ll be more than happy!

What about the setup/formation we had in the end yesterday?

Mendy

Azpi - Zouma - Rüdiger - Emerson

Havertz - Kante - Mount - Pulisic

Abraham - Werner

Chrisb   
6 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

What about the setup/formation we had in the end yesterday?

Mendy

Azpi - Zouma - Rüdiger - Emerson

Havertz - Kante - Mount - Pulisic

Abraham - Werner

I’d prefer to see Silva in place of Rudiger and Chillwell in place of Emerson but yes, that is a decent midfield/forward line up.

Please just go with a 433 for this game. 

Mendy

James Zouma Silva Chilwell

Harvetz Kante Mount 

Ziyech Werner Puli

There is an arguement to play Giroud in this one, so if that happens drop either Werner or Puli and slot him in at CF. Also, Dave may start instead of James as he is better in the air. For this game I want to see us play a formation that means our midfield can transition the ball from front to back as 4231 is a really bad fit for us atm. 

Edited by King Kante

This does have all the makings of an 'upset' doesn't it, Burnley are the kind of club in a difficult situation that we have gifted points too in the recent past... never forget us scoring Palace's first goal of the season for them!

I know it's a cliche, but I genuinely feel an early goal for us would make a big difference in this game. The longer it's 0-0 and the longer they can use gamesmanship, the better for them and the worse for us.

In terms of a lineup, I'd personally look to go 433 based on what we saw last night and go with:

Mendy

James - Silva - Zouma - Chilwell

Mount - Kante - Havertz

Ziyech - Werner - Pulisic

Subs: Caballero, Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Jorginho, CHO, Tammy, Giroud

I'd be happy for Azpi to play again, I think he's playing well at the moment, but he did look a bit knackered at the end last night.

Just a win in this one, I don't care how, scabby 94th min own goal is fine by me It's going to be one of those nasty away games you want to just get in and get out with 3 points in any way you can.

Sciatika   

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

... I'd be happy for Azpi to play again, I think he's playing well at the moment, but he did look a bit knackered at the end last night....

I'll admit there is a part of me that thinks that if they do not come off the pitch knackered, they are not working hard enough.