Newcastle United 0 Chelsea 2

Ham   
2 hours ago, Diddymen said:

Newscastle's form in the last 5 matches:

W / L / D / W / L / ?

L

paulw66   
On 14/11/2020 at 8:57 PM, chiswickblue said:

At least we're not playing a league cup QF just before the hectic Christmas period. Things get a little easier in the new year too, almost back to the schedule of a normal season.

Yup, never understood why previous managers have gone hard for the LC. The biggest killer (even in a normal season) is that after the hectic Xmas and NY schedule, you then have to play a 2 legged semi final in January, when all the other teams have those two midweeks off. Remember losing 2 or 3 players to injury playing Arsenal in Conte's second season, and we lost anyway! Ridiculous.

On 16/11/2020 at 1:16 AM, RobertoftheGiz said:

Most would have preferred the opposite 

Not me. Trophy that nobody cares about, with no prestige, and 6 extragames which really aren't needed. 

paulw66   
15 hours ago, Ham said:

L

have you seen the results we have there since RA took over? It's awful - even when we were great and they were sh*t. I hate this fixture more than any other. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Not me. Trophy that nobody cares about, with no prestige, and 6 extragames which really aren't needed. 

I wonder if Roman, Marina and the board share your opinion, bearing in mind Roman has never gone more than two season without a piece of silverware.  so it either PL. CL "assuming qualification from the group stage" or FA cup in keeping with the norm.

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

I wonder if Roman, Marina and the board share your opinion, 

If progress in the League Cup ultimately cost us progression in the CL, or was the difference between where we finish in the PL, then absolutely they would. 

How many coaches have been sacked because of failure to win the league cup? 

Yup, never understood why previous managers for the LC. The biggest killer (even in a normal season) is that after the hectic Xmas and NY schedule, you then have to play a 2 legged semi final in January, when all the other teams have those two midweeks off. Remember losing 2 or 3 players to injury playing Arsenal in Conte's second season, and we lost anyway! Ridiculous.

I'm not sure that they have.  More it has been about the B team beating Championship and league 1 clubs and mangers not really taking the competition seriously till the Semis by which time it is a commitment for just 1 extra game.  
They put out weak teams without realising that the oppo would do too.

Nobody cares for it, yet it is almost always won by a big club.  In the last 16 years, we won it 3 times, Man U and city 4 each.  Only Swansea and Birmingham have been surprises.

have you seen the results we have there since RA took over? It's awful - even when we were great and they were sh*t. I hate this fixture more than any other. 

Yes.  O4/05 (cup), 05/06, 14/15, all losses.   Conte did beat them in 16/17.  They weren't Prem in 09/10

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

How many coaches have been sacked because of failure to win the league cup? 

I'm sure someone said that is why Sarri got sacked.

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  O4/05 (cup), 05/06, 14/15, all losses.   Conte did beat them in 16/17.  They weren't Prem in 09/10

Nope, they weren't in the PL that year. 

In short, the 5 times we have won the PL, we had 1 draw, 2 losses and 2 "n/a" at St James Park.