• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Newcastle United 0 Chelsea 2

Blue Rod   
18 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Chity have done slightly better in PL, LC and CL than Chelsea in the last few years, especially in qualifying for the CL. Maybe Pepe thinks winning the LC & PL lessens the blow to his employer of not winning the CL. 

Chity spend zillions and they should deliver the CL, PL, Etc.  on the other hand when Roman spends zillions in the summer it’s ok to come in the top four. Bizarre  

Back on subject, who in the toon has not scored for ages.  I could do with a banker this weekend   

BFN

Yes, City have done better in PL than Chelsea in the last few years. But my god, what they would give to get to where we were in Europe in those heydays. Even when we didn't win the CL we went to the top of the UEFA club ratings in Europe (whatever they meant). And we did it without booing the UEFA CL anthem or UEFA referees despite several moments of glaring injustice against us. Even in these our down days, City have a long ways to go to match our pedigree in Europe.

As for Lampard, he has got an "active" team good enough for any top club in Europe. He has also got a "back catalogue" of experienced internationals, some still in their prime. He has to deliver. It is as simple as that. No excuse would do. 

Edited by Blue Rod

12 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

He has to deliver. It is as simple as that. No excuse would do. 

And what would that entail Blue Rod? What results would mean he has delivered according to you? 

paulw66   
19 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

That was probably a good thing. 

Based on nett spend it could be argued we have become a selling club. Also since JM mkll won the PL chity have amassed 66 points or won 22 games more than us in those 5 seasons, that include Conte winning the league. BIZARRE 

BFN

So if we are a "selling club" then it is only right expectations are lower than that of one who is very much a buying club, right? Makes perfect sense to me.  

paulw66   
40 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

And what would that entail Blue Rod? What results would mean he has delivered according to you? 

This is the crux of the argument, and going back to what started this dialogue. In my opinion, the real barometer of where you come is your league points. Cups can be won or lost on a bit of bad fortune or one poor game, particularly where there are one legged ties like the domestic cups

Firstly, lets look at last season......66 league points was ok-to-good for me, bearing in mind we lost Hazard and couldn't spend (although added Pulisic and a few loanees). A 6 point drop on 2018/19 seemed ok. The fact Arsenal and Spurs had such poor seasons, Leicester collpased post lockdown, meaning we got 4th was a huge bonus. Thus, onto this season:

If we had won the league cup but achieved the same or less league points, whilst getting no further than the last 16 of the CL, then that is clearly backwards step after the summer investement. The league cup would mean nothing (IMO) and wouldn't be what SFL is judged on. 

For me, I think we need to see an 8-10 point improvement in the league as a minimum.

With the group we got, CL qualification is mandatory. Thereafter, it depends on the draw. We could play Real Madrid in the last 16, we could also play someone very ordinary. That's why it is impossible to use the CL as a fair judge. If we went toe to toe with a Real Madrid and lost on away goals, is that "failure"? We could get through to the QF then lose to a modest team we should be beating. Is that better?

Ultimately, what I am saying is that we need to see progress, but progress cannot always be clearly defined. Finishing 10th with 50 points and winning both domestic cups is going backwards IMO. Finishing with 80 points and winning nothing is clear progress.  

• Like 1

Except it sounds a bit like Arsenal, Mark.

I do take your point, but points need to be accompanied by actually winning something - maybe except the league cup - or being in with a chance of the Prem up to the last few matches - or making a valiant last gasp charge at the Prem but not quite making it. I guess in addition to points, I’m seeking a little excitement - but is that too much to ask?

paulw66   
58 minutes ago, blue moon said:

Except it sounds a bit like Arsenal, Mark.

I do take your point, but points need to be accompanied by actually winning something - maybe except the league cup - or being in with a chance of the Prem up to the last few matches - or making a valiant last gasp charge at the Prem but not quite making it. I guess in addition to points, I’m seeking a little excitement - but is that too much to ask?

Of course, that's the longer term aim, but if we get 80 points this year, that is good progress. That shows we are improving and getting more consistent. I'd much rather that than another 66 points and a domestic cup win. The long term aim is to compete for the Premier League and CL again and that is what we need to build towards. 

I am not turning my nose up at trophies, I am just trying to look at the bigger picture.

On a slightly connected topic - we are 6 points better off this season if you take the like for like fixtures. Win tomorrow and that is +9. Of course, a 9 point improvement every 9 games isn't sustainable, especially when we take on Spurs, Wolves and Arsenal which yeilded 6, 6 and 4 points respectively. 

Edit - as for excitement, we are currently the PL top scorers. 

Edited by paulw66

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

So if we are a "selling club" then it is only right expectations are lower than that of one who is very much a buying club, right? Makes perfect sense to me.  

So we are the new Arse. (Joking)

With the alleged reshaping of the back line tomorrow, I am trying to work out the lamest toon who’s going to knock one in tomorrow  let’s hope it’s a consolation goal

JY - BFN

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Of course, that's the longer term aim, but if we get 80 points this year, that is good progress.

If - but surely that should be a minimum.  

The 2021/22 target has to be to challenge Liverpool and City  for the title which means 90+ points.  We can forget about that if we don't get 80 points this season.
80 implies 17 off 8 games so we are 2 points short on that.  
But look at who we have played - surely we should be ahead of schedule now.

image.png.8d79f5b4f99b832415eec7118ddf7158.png

paulw66   
21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

If - but surely that should be a minimum.  

The 2021/22 target has to be to challenge Liverpool and City  for the title which means 90+ points.  We can forget about that if we don't get 80 points this season.
80 implies 17 off 8 games so we are 2 points short on that.  
But look at who we have played - surely we should be ahead of schedule now.

image.png.8d79f5b4f99b832415eec7118ddf7158.png

Well, there are lots of holes when you are looking at just 8 games. 1 bad result can skew your average down and visa-versa. where would we be if Walcotts' scuffed shot hadn't landed straight on the head of their defender in the last minute and or if the ref had given a penalty at OT when Maguire wrestled Azpi to the ground? Who knows, but all of these things tend to come out in the wash after 38 games. 

Likewise judging the results on where the opponents are in the table now is meaningless. Man Utd are not going to finish 14th and I severely doubt Sheff Ud and Burnley will be 19th and 20th..

You talk about competing better with Liverpool and City, well we are ahead of City and just 2 points off Liverpool. Both those sides beath sheff Utd by a single goal and we beat them by 3......does it mean we are better than them? no. 

Lastly, I don't think this season's winners will get 90+ points. Look at the current averages and all of the favourites are trending below that. 

Edit - additonally, one of our biggest failures last year was failing to beat poor teams. you get 3 points beating 20th or 1st

Edited by paulw66