• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Newcastle United 0 Chelsea 2

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Likewise judging the results on where the opponents are in the table now is meaningless. Man Utd are not going to finish 14th and I severely doubt Sheff Ud and Burnley will be 19th and 20th..

Or Palace 5th.  (Whoops - 8th - my attempts at webscraping, manipulation of data and visualisation weren't as great as I thought).
Let's be honest, we have had our share of luck this season.  Probably more than average, certainly more than we have ever had with refs before.  Not least in playing Man U when they were crap with OGS.

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You talk about competing better with Liverpool and City, well we are ahead of City and just 2 points off Liverpool. Both those sides beath sheff Utd by a single goal and we beat them by 3......does it mean we are better than them? no. 

Not really, I am talking about competing with the teams that won the PL with high 90s points.  No one is going to congratulate our manager if Pep has a bad season or Klopp suffers from key injuries.
This season we are the big spenders.  In a season where not even City or PSG are spending.  Pretty much every other club is trying to cut wages and sell players.  This year should be easy.

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Or Palace 5th.  (Whoops - 8th - my attempts at webscraping, manipulation of data and visualisation weren't as great as I thought).
Let's be honest, we have had our share of luck this season.  Probably more than average, certainly more than we have ever had with refs before.  Not least in playing Man U when they were crap with OGS.

Not really, I am talking about competing with the teams that won the PL with high 90s points.  No one is going to congratulate our manager if Pep has a bad season or Klopp suffers from key injuries.
This season we are the big spenders.  In a season where not even City or PSG are spending.  Pretty much every other club is trying to cut wages and sell players.  This year should be easy.

Which game(s) were we lucky to get the result we did? I tend to think we have got what we deserved, for good and bad. 

Wins against Palace, Burnley, Brighton and Sheff Utd.......all deserved. Draw with Southampton and Man Utd, probably fair but we could have won either. Draw with WBA......could argue it was fortunte to get a late equaliser after being 0-3 but on the flip side, they had 3 shots all game and they all went in, so probably fair. Defeat to Liverpool........fair. 

Do you honestly think "no one is going to congratulate our manager" if we win the league, irrespective of how City and Liverpool do? And do you honestly think any Chelsea fan would give a t*ss? Because of the circumstances, nobody is getting high 90s in points. That doesn't mean everyone is crap. 

City? spent 100m on 2 CBs and another 20m on a forward. Yes, we have spent 200m+ but they were starting with a much stronger squad in the first place  

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Which game(s) were we lucky to get the result we did? I tend to think we have got what we deserved, for good and bad. 

I don't do anecdotes well, but I'm pretty sure we were lucky  to avoid going a goal down against Burnley early on, which would have made getting 3 points a lot harder.  Man U could have been lost.  A 93rd minute equaliser against WBA suggests we could easily have lost that one.
I'm claiming moderate fortune this year - so we pretty much agree on this.

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't do anecdotes well, but I'm pretty sure we were lucky  to avoid going a goal down against Burnley early on, which would have made getting 3 points a lot harder.  Man U could have been lost.  A 93rd minute equaliser against WBA suggests we could easily have lost that one.
I'm claiming moderate fortune this year - so we pretty much agree on this.

man utd - could have lost, could have won

WBA - like I said, to allow 3 shots and they all go in is unclucky 

Anyway, I think the points we have now are a fair reflection of how we have played. 

Blue Rod   
11 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

And what would that entail Blue Rod? What results would mean he has delivered according to you? 

1. qualify for CL this season
  2. next season mount a serious challenge for the PL 
  3. consistent results and a direction of travel. We can qualify for CL by Random results. We can even win a cup like that. But it just shows that we are winning by chance. Results have to be improving. This season's results have to be better than last season, and next season's better than this season's.
  4. I would consider 80 pts as not too much to ask for.
  5. Personally, I would like to see us playing some consistent football of quality. I am not against us grafting a win if we need to. But I like to see a team where the system is so well worked out that a youngster comes on and immediately knows what to do.  

1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:
  1. qualify for CL this season
  2. next season mount a serious challenge for the PL 
  3. consistent results and a direction of travel. We can qualify for CL by Random results. We can even win a cup like that. But it just shows that we are winning by chance. Results have to be improving. This season's results have to be better than last season, and next season's better than this season's.
  4. I would consider 80 pts as not too much to ask for.
  5. Personally, I would like to see us playing some consistent football of quality. I am not against us grafting a win if we need to. But I like to see a team where the system is so well worked out that a youngster comes on and immediately knows what to do.  

All admirable goals and expectations which I would probably agree with. 

However, and this is the crux, none of them has a chance to be visible within 5 games of a new season where we had no pre-season and a handful of new key players that on top of it are young and need time to adjust. 

You write the stuff above and all I’m thinking is what have you been complaining about for the past three months? 

Mendy

James
Rudiger
Zouma
Chillwell

Kovacic
Kante
Mount

Ziyech
Abraham
Werner

Subs: Kepa, Christensen, Azpi, Emerson, Jorginho, CHO, Giroud

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

Faramir   

Here is the team for today...

CHELSEA TEAM NEWS

Starting XI: Mendy, James, Rudiger, Zouma, Chilwell, Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Ziyech, Abraham, Werner.

Subs: Kepa, Christensen, Azpilicueta, Emerson, Jorginho, Hudson-Odoi, Giroud.