• Base fee for group stage: €15,250,000
  • Group match victory: €2,700,000
  • Group match draw: €900,000
  • Round of 16: €9,500,000
  • Quarter-finals: €10,500,000
  • Semi-finals: €12,000,000
  • Runner-ups: €15,000,000
  • Champions: €19,000,000

I personally cannot see us running out the youth in this one due to the prize money and due to us having lots of adult players that need minutes. Only player that I can see getting minutes that can still be called a youth player is Billy. Obviously, the likes of Werner, Chilwell, Silva, Zouma, Kante, Mount etc will get rested but I am not expecting players like Anjorin, Lawrence and Bate getting on other than from the bench and if we're comfortable. 

Not sure but the prize money looks completely unattractive to big clubs imo. What does 19M€ buy you these days in player stature and quality? And that's for being champions? Am I missing something?

3 hours ago, Kezza said:

Not sure but the prize money looks completely unattractive to big clubs imo. What does 19M€ buy you these days in player stature and quality? And that's for being champions? Am I missing something?

It's cumulative, so works out more than enough!

https://www.cityam.com/champions-league-2020-21-how-prize-money-is-calculated-and-why-the-winners-dont-always-get-paid-the-most/

3 hours ago, Kezza said:

Well if you win it, it is around €80m once you add up all the rounds. On top of that you get a Super Cup fee which is around €3-€5m. Then on top of that is tv money which adds anywhere between 50-70% on top depending on your league position from the year before, the stage you get too and the stage at which the other clubs from your country drop out. Essentially if you win it as a English club you're looking at around €120m+.

paulw66   
4 hours ago, Kezza said:

Yes, lots.

Prize money is the tip of the iceberg. 

Prize money, TV money, sponsorship(s).......all increase massively if you win the thing. That's ignoring the emotional / sentimental benefits. 

Anyway I personally think resting players who need a rest in this particular season is probably more important than winning this particular match. Compared to some clubs it feels like we've actually been quite fortunate with injuries so far. Ziyech is out now and we have good alternative options but I'd hate to see say Pulisic or Werner added to the list, especially if they played more minutes than they needed to in a game like this one.

Edited by Bridge Soldier

bert19   

I think I'd go: 

Willy 

Dave Christensen/Tomori Rudiger Emerson 

Jorginho Gilmour 

CHO Havertz Pulisic (60 mins) 

Tammy 

Give the regular starting XI as little game time as possible.  I'd say play Kepa, but there's still a risk that he'll do something ridiculous that could jeopardise any loan move.  Could be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with him. Willy starts for me. 

paulw66   
24 minutes ago, bert19 said:

I think I'd go: 

Willy 

Dave Christensen/Tomori Rudiger Emerson 

Jorginho Gilmour 

CHO Havertz Pulisic (60 mins) 

Tammy 

Give the regular starting XI as little game time as possible.  I'd say play Kepa, but there's still a risk that he'll do something ridiculous that could jeopardise any loan move.  Could be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with him. Willy starts for me. 

He has to play if he isn't playing Mendy. I don't see how anything he does could put him in a less attractive position to any suitors. 

Pulisic has to be left out of this too after Ziyech's injury. We are down to 2 proper wide players plus Werner. We can't afford to lose any. 

Rob B   

Kepa

Azpi.     Rudiger.   Christensen.   Alonso. 

Jorginho. Gilmour 

Havertz 

Hudson-Odoi.  Abraham.   Emerson 

Could play Anjorin if he’s available and equally Tomori instead of one of the CBs 

bert19   
23 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He has to play if he isn't playing Mendy. I don't see how anything he does could put him in a less attractive position to any suitors. 

Pulisic has to be left out of this too after Ziyech's injury. We are down to 2 proper wide players plus Werner. We can't afford to lose any. 

Yeh, I feel like people thought that before the Southampton game.  Look what happened there.  And regardless of whether he's fine or not, the defenders immediately look worse when he's there. 

He's not going to some better side somewhere, we'll be lucky if we can palm him off to a midtable side that will pay a third of his wages.  Why should we play him? Will it be of any benefit to us?  I don't really think so.  

If he plays tomorrow, first time in nearly two months and chucks another one in, gets injured, sent off or whatever, any time that might have been thinking they'd go for a loan in January - I wouldn't bother taking that risk. 

paulw66   
46 minutes ago, bert19 said:

If he plays tomorrow, first time in nearly two months and chucks another one in, gets injured, sent off or whatever, any time that might have been thinking they'd go for a loan in January - I wouldn't bother taking that risk. 

Alternatively, what if he plays well? Don't really see the point in playing Willy tbh. He wont play unless Mendy gets injured