• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Everton 1 Chelsea 0

Ham   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Put it a different way then.  22 points from 12 games is on par for 70 points in the season.  Ignoring the poor teams we have faced that might be a weak start for an 80 point season.
In which case we are challenging for a title if this is a title won with 78-82 points (Leicester only).
That may be the case this year, but if so we really ought to be putting our skates on, season is a third over already and we are 5th (while City and United could catch us if they win their game in hand.

However one looks at it, from club or league pov, this year is one hell of an opportunity which we do not seem to be grasping.

Nobody is grasping it.  Maybe something is different this season 🤔

Rob B   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Put it a different way then.  22 points from 12 games is on par for 70 points in the season.  Ignoring the poor teams we have faced that might be a weak start for an 80 point season.
In which case we are challenging for a title if this is a title won with 78-82 points (Leicester only).
That may be the case this year, but if so we really ought to be putting our skates on, season is a third over already and we are 5th (while City and United could catch us if they win their game in hand.

However one looks at it, from club or league pov, this year is one hell of an opportunity which we do not seem to be grasping.

This is a better measure, but is still skewed by the first 3 games when we didn't have the A Team. 

If you take off these from the projection, our underlying run-rate is actually 80 points. 

I know it will look like I'm just trying to erase the poor results and keep the good ones, but the difference in personnel and subsequent form is tangible. 

80 points feels like a realistic aim this season;  whether that will be enough to win the league, I don't know, but is definitely progress. 

3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Using that reasoning the winners of the league each year would have to earn more points than the previous season otherwise you consider them lacking. This is not an absolute, you have to take into consideration the varying relative quality of the opposition, injuries, suspensions, new signings and plain old fashioned fatigue. You're beginning to sound like a Liverpool supporter.

Umm. Not sure about being a dipper, however I would seem you are getting the reasons in early for the squad not doing as well as expected. 

Very Apt - HAHHADW1234RTKTTLIPS

16 minutes ago, Rob B said:

This is a better measure, but is still skewed by the first 3 games when we didn't have the A Team. 

If you take off these from the projection, our underlying run-rate is actually 80 points. 

I know it will look like I'm just trying to erase the poor results and keep the good ones, but the difference in personnel and subsequent form is tangible. 

80 points feels like a realistic aim this season;  whether that will be enough to win the league, I don't know, but is definitely progress. 

On the other hand. 

As the squad is for some reason unable to beat anyone in the top 10 you could say that wins a limited to the dross, that’s worth say 54 Pts draw 10 game against the the better teams, and finally get luck against a couple of the better teams, that equates to 70pts. 

Analytics can be packaged in so many ways.  

Countdown - HAHHADW1234RTKTTLIPS

oh yes - we are currently one win behind last season after 12 PL games - Bizzare

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Not aimed at you at all mate.

Alright, so my misunderstanding.

Just so you know, whatever difference of opinion we may have on various subjects I find that we more often than not actually agree with each other. There are a few posters like yourself, Paul66 and others who more often than not are reasonable, to the point and not just out to casue a shitstorm I enjoy reading most on here. 

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sounding like Conte

You do a little bit.

...but I'm right aren't I. If we follow your previous arguments, this defeat , other defeats, other successes have very little to do with the coach , its just about the players we bought. You said this multiple times. 

Edited by NoblyBobly

5 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

You misunderstand. Again.

This squad could and should win the league in the near future.

I dont think they will unless something changes. 

Apart from the last line we are in agreement. Could, should, might. Small differences really. I mean, we all know that if Liverpool go on a run like they did this time last year we are not going to catch them. However, if they don't ( note their recent draw) I don't think we should fear City, United, Spurs, Arsenal or Leicester. 

But when we say 'should win the league' lets look a bit closer at players we got. We have issues. Pulisic was going to be our new Hazard but if he keeps breaking down we might be bringing the old one back. Can an aging Giroud really lead our attack for the whole season? Is Tammy ready? Is there something wrong Covid wise with Havertz ( our star £70 million signing)? Can a rooky keeper really be that much better than our £70 million record buy keeper?

These are important questions that you and I don't know the answer to. And neither does Lampard or any other coach in the world that you fancy dropping into this team. 

I get you think we will get nowhere special with Lampard. That is your opinion and I have no problem with that at all. I will argue the point with you though. Personally I see Lampard learning important lessons on the pitch and with player selection. He has the dressing room I'm sure. This is a very good squad. 

Lets look at our main competition and see which coach you would prefer if they should become available. Pep G ?( great past record with incredible squad built on illegal buying power but now doing nothing), Olly G? Arteta? Brenda Rodgers? Mourinho? ( 3rd time lucky). Who Martin? Its just Klopp isn't it and he ain't going anywhere.

Why don't we all settle down and see where the chips fall. If every time we play poorly we get this forensic examination of Lampard its going to be a tiresome season. Likewise if we play well we shouldn't call him Gods Gift to the football world. Things are difficult enough in life at the moment without all this back and forth. 

Lets all sit back, enjoy the season and hope for the best?  We are 3 points off the top and that ain't too shabby by anyone's standards. 

Edited by NoblyBobly
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Lets all sit back, enjoy the season and hope for the best?  We are 3 points off the top and that ain't too shabby by anyone's standards. 

I think we all know how shabby being 5th in the league.  Man U and Villa would over take us too if they win their games (and City draw level). 8 teams have better or similar levels to us at the moment.
And particularly shabby all our game against strong teams are.  But you seem to want to repeat this a lot.

The pressure is on now.  Not at the end of the season.  Squeaky bum time has been here for a while.  image.thumb.png.7948cd07a226b2b9cf3df59223177ba1.png

Either that or Spurs, Leicester, Southampton, WHU, Everton, Man U, Villa, Palace, Newcastle and Wolves are having amazing years.

image.thumb.png.128112d8beffd145ebc9b45d87d43bc2.png 

wiki data
Shabby

Edited by Droy was my hero

chara   
1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Apart from the last line we are in agreement. Could, should, might. Small differences really. I mean, we all know that if Liverpool go on a run like they did this time last year we are not going to catch them. However, if they don't ( note their recent draw) I don't think we should fear City, United, Spurs, Arsenal or Leicester. 

But when we say 'should win the league' lets look a bit closer at players we got. We have issues. Pulisic was going to be our new Hazard but if he keeps breaking down we might be bringing the old one back. Can an aging Giroud really lead our attack for the whole season? Is Tammy ready? Is there something wrong Covid wise with Havertz ( our star £70 million signing)? Can a rooky keeper really be that much better than our £70 million record buy keeper?

These are important questions that you and I don't know the answer to. And neither does Lampard or any other coach in the world that you fancy dropping into this team. 

I get you think we will get nowhere special with Lampard. That is your opinion and I have no problem with that at all. I will argue the point with you though. Personally I see Lampard learning important lessons on the pitch and with player selection. He has the dressing room I'm sure. This is a very good squad. 

Lets look at our main competition and see which coach you would prefer if they should become available. Pep G ?( great past record with incredible squad built on illegal buying power but now doing nothing), Olly G? Arteta? Brenda Rodgers? Mourinho? ( 3rd time lucky). Who Martin? Its just Klopp isn't it and he ain't going anywhere.

Why don't we all settle down and see where the chips fall. If every time we play poorly we get this forensic examination of Lampard its going to be a tiresome season. Likewise if we play well we shouldn't call him Gods Gift to the football world. Things are difficult enough in life at the moment without all this back and forth. 

Ah NB...you must stop writing common sense...........

46 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

image.thumb.png.128112d8beffd145ebc9b45d87d43bc2.png 

wiki data
Shabby

Interesting table. If you choose to look at it like that, everyone not reaching 80 in the last 17 years has been sacked, except FL last season, who was given a bye, due to mitigating circumstances. I think he will get another bye, due to the rebuild and his banked stock, as long as he gets around 75. If that were to play out, then it is likely that we will need to start next season strongly, if he is to make it to the Jan window...