• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Everton 1 Chelsea 0

5 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Interesting table. If you choose to look at it like that, everyone not reaching 80 in the last 17 years has been sacked, except FL last season, who was given a bye, due to mitigating circumstances. I think he will get another bye, due to the rebuild and his banked stock, as long as he gets around 75. If that were to play out, then it is likely that we will need to start next season strongly, if he is to make it to the Jan window...

I don't think Conte was sacked for failing to get 80 points.  Conte was sacked because he desperately wanted to be and get his pay off which he did.

2 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

I don't think Conte was sacked for failing to get 80 points.  Conte was sacked because he desperately wanted to be and get his pay off which he did.

Yeah there are a few ambiguous "sackings" there - I spent most of 2008 explaining how Grant was a substitute school teacher, and we later heard Scolari was contacted in February to replace him.
But it is interesting to recall how much abuse Conte got on here for bad coaching while getting 80 points.

1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yeah there are a few ambiguous "sackings" there - I spent most of 2008 explaining how Grant was a substitute school teacher, and we later heard Scolari was contacted in February to replace him.
But it is interesting to recall how much abuse Conte got on here for bad coaching while getting 80 points.

Was it bad coaching or just a terrible attitude in that second season?  He deserved everything he got.

Just now, Super Kenny Monkou said:

Was it bad coaching or just a terrible attitude in that second season?  He deserved everything he got.

By all accounts he'd badly fallen out with Marina and was desperate to get out I believe. 

8 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

Exhaustion I thought.  We played a horrendous number of games.  I think the attitude of the starting players was better than one might expect. 

Years ago I used to row in eights.  When winning it was great, you could see the team behind you, relax and really row well.  When losing it was horrible, the cox telling you that you were gaining was probably lying, and the more effort you put in the more the boat rocked and worse the crew rowed.  The eight became 8 individuals.
I think that being 2nd or 3rd in a title race can be like that.  Easy to lose control, put in too much effort and collapse.

Loads Conte did do wrong - mostly dilute the squad with a ton of average or outright awful players, most of which are still on the books.  Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Bats.
And of course in all those players he didn't buy a single AM while selling a top CF.  Willian and Hazard must have been knackered.
But in terms of tactics and player motivation I don't think Conte could have been improved on that year.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think we all know how shabby being 5th in the league.  Man U and Villa would over take us too if they win their games (and City draw level). 8 teams have better or similar levels to us at the moment.
And particularly shabby all our game against strong teams are.  But you seem to want to repeat this a lot.

The pressure is on now.  Not at the end of the season.  Squeaky bum time has been here for a while.  image.thumb.png.7948cd07a226b2b9cf3df59223177ba1.png

Either that or Spurs, Leicester, Southampton, WHU, Everton, Man U, Villa, Palace, Newcastle and Wolves are having amazing years.

image.thumb.png.128112d8beffd145ebc9b45d87d43bc2.png 

wiki data
Shabby

Well if your view so far this season is shabby ...a slow start but loads of goal , a 17 game unbeaten run, most clean sheets in the league, 3 points off top spot, called title contenders by many pundits, won our CL group quite easily , then  yes Droy , your standards/expectations are higher than most . But the fault then lies with the people who bought the players and that is nothing to do with Lampard. 

And no, I'm not going to let you have it both ways. 

18 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well if your view so far this season is shabby ...a slow start but loads of goal , a 17 game unbeaten run, most clean sheets in the league, 3 points off top spot, called title contenders by many pundits, won our CL group quite easily , then  yes Droy , your standards/expectations are higher than most . 

More honest than most I'd say.  

19 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

But the fault then lies with the people who bought the players and that is nothing to do with Lampard. 

And no, I'm not going to let you have it both ways. 

Seriously - you are going to blame Marina for the opportunity to win the Prem?

49 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Seriously - you are going to blame Marina for the opportunity to win the Prem?

I'm not blaming anyone. But the main person responsible for this years success or failure is going to be the person who bought the new players ( according to your goodself). Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just repeating your viewpoint. 

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'm not blaming anyone. But the main person responsible for this years success or failure is going to be the person who bought the new players ( according to your goodself). Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just repeating your viewpoint. 

You certainly are cast iron protecting someone from blame.