• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 Chelsea 1

16 minutes ago, chara said:

I should add my disappointment at losing the chance to have Big Sam here.......chum......

A bullet dodged then ? on the other hand My Good lady is mmmmm extremely unhappy, but looking on the brightside we may not be watching the WBA -Villa match over the weekend  if the rage lasts.

Edited by southcoastal

chara   
3 minutes ago, southcoastal said:

A bullet dodged then ? on the other hand My Good lady is mmmmm extremely unhappy, but looking on the brightside we may not be watching the WBA -Villa match over the weekend  if the rage lasts.

An opportunity lost?....both Big Sam and a really attractive Midlands derby in the same time frame....sc you are on a roll.........

As a survivalist I hope you haven't mentioned your bright side view to Mrs SC.......dangerous waters indeed......oh and the chum?......fishing of course....

Just now, chara said:

An opportunity lost?....both Big Sam and a really attractive Midlands derby in the same time frame....sc you are on a roll.........

As a survivalist I hope you haven't mentioned your bright side view to Mrs SC.......dangerous waters indeed......oh and the chum?......fishing of course....

No I haven't and possibly wont mention it ! After growing up with Bomber Brown, Regis, Batson Cunninham and all, the last few years have not been kind, To WBA supporters Megson, Pulis, Pardew and now Chardonny Sam its all a lot to cope with. As in a tier one we shall go out for a meal and pretend there is no football, Till  the West ham match.

chara   
14 minutes ago, southcoastal said:

No I haven't and possibly wont mention it ! After growing up with Bomber Brown, Regis, Batson Cunninham and all, the last few years have not been kind, To WBA supporters Megson, Pulis, Pardew and now Chardonny Sam its all a lot to cope with. As in a tier one we shall go out for a meal and pretend there is no football, Till  the West ham match.

Jogged a few memories there....went to The Hawthorns twice back in the day...think only other away ground I visited more than once apart from London teams was Elland Road...Villa Park three times for semi's but not to watch Villa and OT once for league and THAT replay.

The Doc bought Derek Kevan from WBA to help the promotion push back in the dark ages and I remember reading that the training was so intense that Kevan was physically sick when he first arrived......thanks for reminding me...oh and he scored the first goal and settled the side in the must win final game against Portsmouth that year...first of sevsn as I remember....a brownie points offering for the good lady if you drop it at the right time...best of luck!

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Seems like a fair point to me.
You want to see the greeting you'd get if you posted that a day after we'd beaten some nonentity  :)

Don't be daft, he'd never do that. But I think he wants to know if Lampard is up to the task. What do you think? 

16 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Who said we were title contenders on this Forum or are you referring to lazy journalism Or even the King of the dippers little Joke? 

As you know, people don't like to commit themselves too deeply on here and often give themselves a little get out clause with their opinion. But even 2 of the most critical posters of this team (Martin and Droy) both said that this team could and should win the title but would probably fall short and get top 4.

As for the press, I have no idea who you call lazy...probably anyone who disagrees with you but I'll give you snap shot of the type of headlines in last couple of weeks:

( In The Sun yesterday Paul Scholes said " Chelsea are not quite ready this season to win the title but they will not have to wait long".

Football 365 said..."can Chelsea challenge for the title? Far fetched? Maybe but stranger things have happened . Here's 5 reasons why they can...

Joe Cole said..." I think there are 3 or 4 clubs who can go for the title and Chelsea are certainly one of them.

Sportsmail said....Chelsea are displaying all the credentials of a real title threat.

This was just a few I noted , but it contrasts quite dramatically with the general feeling on this forum at this moment in time. But I know that a 4 nil thrashing of West Ham, and Everton and Wolves will all just have been a blip. There are some, so entrenched that no real credit will ever be given and any success downplayed , but that I have come realise is the nature of this beast. 

I think Frank's style of coaching, like Zidane's, is one of being an organiser, man-manager and motivator while letting the individual talents of the players shine through and carry the team to victories. It works well when you have a team of highly talented and seasoned individuals who are used to winning and know what it takes to do so, as we did from 2006 onwards. Less useful perhaps in a freshly cobbled together young team lacking a distinct playstyle (other than an over-reliance on FBs providing width). Our team needs tactical and coaching direction and unfortunately it increasingly seems like Frank is unable to provide it. On the other hand it has to be said he is excellent at guiding and developing young players. Mount, Tammy, James, Kova and Pulisic have all noticeably improved under his tutelage. However that isn't enough to save Frank I fear. I think its only a matter of time now.

If it sadly comes to pass and the club and Frank do part ways, at least we can take comfort in the fact that there are more candidates now for the job than there were when Sarri ran away so finding a suitable replacement shouldn't be too difficult.

Edited by Tammy's right foot

I've deliberately not posted, nor read to much on here since the Wolves game, I wanted some time to try and rationalise what happened and how I felt about it, I honestly still can't. What I do know, is that it was an awful performance, we showed no drive, no guts, no fight and honestly didn't look too much like we wanted to win and that hurts a lot. Wolves weren't particularly good, but they did what they do most games and that conserved energy and then flew at us for the final 20/25 mins when they realised they could get a result, we should never have allowed that to happen. If we had shown a slight bit of fight in the first half, we could have wrapped things up by half time. It was a lazy performance.

Why? That's the tricky question and it's a painful answer because I do think a lot of it was down to Frank, he sent the same team out as the weekend, when clearly half of them were shattered. I know we have injuries, but we easily could have put Azpi in at RB or LB, Rudiger in for Silva, Gilmour/Kovacic/Jorginho in for Havertz and/or Mount and Tammy in for Groud, but for some reason, Frank didn't do it and I really can't work out why.

I've backed Frank all season, I continue to do so, I still believe he can take this team where we want them to go, but if we see a similar performance vs West Ham after almost a weeks break, then I may just have a tinge of concern over where this manager and season is going. He has to make changes for West Ham, he has to find a way to either get Werner as the actual striker, or put him on the bench, not another game of him wasted on the left! Havertz has to be dropped, he needs to play from the bench for until he starts to show he has an understanding of this league and the pace it's played at. If Havertz gets a start vs West Ham, then you have to question what Frank is seeing out there.

Maybe, even a couple of days after the fact, I'm being reactive, but it was a really poor performance and it is concerning if it starts to become more than a 'blip'.

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

As you know, people don't like to commit themselves too deeply on here and often give themselves a little get out clause with their opinion. But even 2 of the most critical posters of this team (Martin and Droy) both said that this team could and should win the title but would probably fall short and get top 4.

As for the press, I have no idea who you call lazy...probably anyone who disagrees with you but I'll give you snap shot of the type of headlines in last couple of weeks:

( In The Sun yesterday Paul Scholes said " Chelsea are not quite ready this season to win the title but they will not have to wait long".

Football 365 said..."can Chelsea challenge for the title? Far fetched? Maybe but stranger things have happened . Here's 5 reasons why they can...

Joe Cole said..." I think there are 3 or 4 clubs who can go for the title and Chelsea are certainly one of them.

Sportsmail said....Chelsea are displaying all the credentials of a real title threat.

This was just a few I noted , but it contrasts quite dramatically with the general feeling on this forum at this moment in time. But I know that a 4 nil thrashing of West Ham, and Everton and Wolves will all just have been a blip. There are some, so entrenched that no real credit will ever be given and any success downplayed , but that I have come realise is the nature of this beast. 

Good post mate.

I think the problem for some of us and I certainly include me in this is that I can the seeds of something but when we play poorly we play so poorly with seemingly no idea whatsoever what to do that it leads you to believe that something is going awry behind the scenes .

We're either quite good or horrible and it's madenning !

7 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

There are two things here.
1 is absolute - we are certainly good enough to get at least 85 points, though we are currently on par for 64 with strong teams yet unplayed.
This looks like a failure, not assuaged by other failures at other clubs.

2. is relative.  It looks like this year 80 points might be enough to win the prem  (lowest this century is Leicester with 81 I think).
Even now we could reach 80 points with a charge.  It would require big improvements in consistency, particularly against stronger teams.  But certainly isn't beyond this squad.
This means we are still in with a chance - thanks to other clubs.

The question now is not can we make this an absolute good season - too late.
The question is can we still win it.  Yes - but a lot has to improve.