• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 Chelsea 1

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

As you know, people don't like to commit themselves too deeply on here and often give themselves a little get out clause with their opinion. But even 2 of the most critical posters of this team (Martin and Droy) both said that this team could and should win the title but would probably fall short and get top 4.

As for the press, I have no idea who you call lazy...probably anyone who disagrees with you but I'll give you snap shot of the type of headlines in last couple of weeks:

( In The Sun yesterday Paul Scholes said " Chelsea are not quite ready this season to win the title but they will not have to wait long".

Football 365 said..."can Chelsea challenge for the title? Far fetched? Maybe but stranger things have happened . Here's 5 reasons why they can...

Joe Cole said..." I think there are 3 or 4 clubs who can go for the title and Chelsea are certainly one of them.

Sportsmail said....Chelsea are displaying all the credentials of a real title threat.

This was just a few I noted , but it contrasts quite dramatically with the general feeling on this forum at this moment in time. But I know that a 4 nil thrashing of West Ham, and Everton and Wolves will all just have been a blip. There are some, so entrenched that no real credit will ever be given and any success downplayed , but that I have come realise is the nature of this beast. 

The league does not lie, and it is now becoming more and more apparent that even a top 4 could be a stretch. After 13 games the league is kind of taking shape - the dippers are already 6 pts ahead, Jose is 3 pts ahead and his team has the look of a top 4 finish.

IMO the remaining two slots are between ourselves, and the Manchester teams and this is where it becomes interesting

Chelsea P13 W 6 win % 46% 

Chity P12 W 5  win %  42%

Manure P11 W 6 win % 55%

form Against top 6 of Chelsea, The Arse, Spuds, Dippers, Manure, Chitty

Dippers P4 pts 10

Spuds P5 pts 10

Chity P4 pts 5

Arse P4 pts 3

Chelsea P3 Pts 2

ManUre P4 pts 2

Overall the above indicates a couple of points

The new kids on the block coaches are not doing to good against serial winners,

4th place is more than likely going to be a dog fight between Frank and Olle, as the form guild states they can beat the fodder but are pony against the big boys. Should Manure win one of their games in hand they are above Frank win both that's 4 pts assuming all other games in-between are like for like.

240m investment should get you forth spot minimum, however the stats are trending something different. the next few games should tell us some more on the direction of the team.

Jasonb   

I see us getting 4th, which means Frank will get them playing better again. I have placed us correctly 3 of the last 4 seasons.

He does seem to be able to make changes and we improve and I think that is what we will do over the next 5 days in prep for WHU and beyond.

A loss to WHU would be uncomfortable yet we will be fresh so I think we will win and then we have Arsenal and Villa.

Frank does have some issues to sort out, Havertz's fit in the team, Werner on the Left and who plays up front.

With the FA Cup on the horizon hopefully changes identify a new talent or playing combination.

Then we have Ziyech likely to come back.

47 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I see us getting 4th, which means Frank will get them playing better again. I have placed us correctly 3 of the last 4 seasons.

He does seem to be able to make changes and we improve and I think that is what we will do over the next 5 days in prep for WHU and beyond.

A loss to WHU would be uncomfortable yet we will be fresh so I think we will win and then we have Arsenal and Villa.

Frank does have some issues to sort out, Havertz's fit in the team, Werner on the Left and who plays up front.

With the FA Cup on the horizon hopefully changes identify a new talent or playing combination.

Then we have Ziyech likely to come back.

Probably being to will more than likely be a straight fight between ourselves and ManUre. Can see Pep going big in the Jan window to ensure CL football next season for Messi 

2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

The league does not lie, and it is now becoming more and more apparent that even a top 4 could be a stretch. After 13 games the league is kind of taking shape - the dippers are already 6 pts ahead, Jose is 3 pts ahead and his team has the look of a top 4 finish.

You asked for evidence of outside perspective and I just gave you it to you. Many think we are contenders.

As far as league positions are concerned , at this stage of the season it gives a brief snapshot but means little in the big scheme of things. Do you think Southampton, Everton,  Leicester will finish above City ? Will those teams finish above us? I don't think they will. Will Arsenal end the season in the bottom half. I doubt it. 

You look for patterns.... levels of belief, dressing room solidarity, the ability to bounce back from a slump, depth of squad, character. We have shown all those things but, in the last 2 games shown none of them. Its a concern, of course it is. We just flushed 6 points down the drain and that could cost us. But you know and I know that we can play far better than that, and we will. Others think we are contenders and I think they are right. It doesn't feel it now because we are smarting and the players look knackered. But we are well in touch with the top places ( still 3 points behind second) and are not alone in our inconsistency. What we have done is not given ourselves any room for error in the next few games. 

Now lets see if the team has character. 

10 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

This was just a few I noted , but it contrasts quite dramatically with the general feeling on this forum at this moment in time. But I know that a 4 nil thrashing of West Ham, and Everton and Wolves will all just have been a blip. There are some, so entrenched that no real credit will ever be given and any success downplayed , but that I have come realise is the nature of this beast. 

I don't think I'd call them blips Nobly, I'd say they're indicative of the reality that we're not the finished article yet and that there's a way to go. However, equally I'd say that we shouldn’t be going troppo over these setbacks, but we should be properly addressing the question of why some of our players are under-performing, or in some cases perhaps, even non-performing. Why have both Germans looked so unhappy in their work for a while now for example?

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I've deliberately not posted, nor read to much on here since the Wolves game, I wanted some time to try and rationalise what happened and how I felt about it, I honestly still can't. What I do know, is that it was an awful performance, we showed no drive, no guts, no fight and honestly didn't look too much like we wanted to win and that hurts a lot. Wolves weren't particularly good, but they did what they do most games and that conserved energy and then flew at us for the final 20/25 mins when they realised they could get a result, we should never have allowed that to happen. If we had shown a slight bit of fight in the first half, we could have wrapped things up by half time. It was a lazy performance.

Why? That's the tricky question and it's a painful answer because I do think a lot of it was down to Frank, he sent the same team out as the weekend, when clearly half of them were shattered. I know we have injuries, but we easily could have put Azpi in at RB or LB, Rudiger in for Silva, Gilmour/Kovacic/Jorginho in for Havertz and/or Mount and Tammy in for Groud, but for some reason, Frank didn't do it and I really can't work out why.

I've backed Frank all season, I continue to do so, I still believe he can take this team where we want them to go, but if we see a similar performance vs West Ham after almost a weeks break, then I may just have a tinge of concern over where this manager and season is going. He has to make changes for West Ham, he has to find a way to either get Werner as the actual striker, or put him on the bench, not another game of him wasted on the left! Havertz has to be dropped, he needs to play from the bench for until he starts to show he has an understanding of this league and the pace it's played at. If Havertz gets a start vs West Ham, then you have to question what Frank is seeing out there.

Maybe, even a couple of days after the fact, I'm being reactive, but it was a really poor performance and it is concerning if it starts to become more than a 'blip'.

Good stuff MBIB. Agree about the Germans completely.

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Good stuff MBIB. Agree about the Germans completely.

Maybe it’s something to do with Rudiger who supposedly had something to do with their arrival...

4 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

I don't think I'd call them blips Nobly, I'd say they're indicative of the reality that we're not the finished article yet and that there's a way to go. However, equally I'd say that we shouldn’t be going troppo over these setbacks, but we should be properly addressing the question of why some of our players are under-performing, or in some cases perhaps, even non-performing. Why have both Germans looked so unhappy in their work for a while now for example?

Well I agree we are not the finished article ( well I would expect not yet) and it doesn't feel like a blip for some because you have to come out of a blip to recognise it as a blip and not a slump ( if that makes sense). For instance , two good wins against West ham and Arsenal , and considering the 17 game unbeaten run before it , it will be called a blip by most. We lose the next 2 then its a slump . Permission to be positive and say that we will get 6 points from next 2 games.  We have a nice little rest, Ziyech back maybe, Pulisic back to full fitness . Havertz is still a mystery to me tbh but not given up all hope on him. Unlike many teams we have had CL games and 90% of our squad away on international duties. Maybe we just hit a wall. But these are fit young men and they will bounce back. 

3 hours ago, hallgalley said:

Maybe it’s something to do with Rudiger who supposedly had something to do with their arrival...

How do you mean? OK, maybe he did have something to do with their arrival, I really wouldn't know. But even so, in what way could that impact upon their performance levels?