• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Manchester City 3

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It felt very much that SFL was being pushed out today knowing his time was up.  But then it has felt like that for the last 4 or 5 games.

Kinda of curious what he will say post match, but then again, not that curious I will watch it.

He spoke very well, as he always does. 

I am not sure whether he has the required ability but I think we should give him until the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Years ago, when we were destroying all in our wake, the powers that be looked at Arsenal floundering behind us and their philosophy and decided that's what they wanted. 

Now, many years later, we are just like Arsenal but with less backbone, footballing acumen and physicality. 

A job well done. 

Its true, and the team closest to our physical bulldozer style back then is probably Bayern who have just won everything in front of them.

1 minute ago, Whataloadofballacks said:

He spoke very well, as he always does. 

I am not sure whether he has the required ability but I think we should give him until the end of the season.

He nailed that post match interview. It’s like watching the Obama of football. However, the proof must be discovered in the pudding. 

8 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I like Rodgers and he’s done really well with Leicester but he’s always struck me as a counter-attacking type of coach. (Which I’d hate given the talent we have here)

Perhaps I’ve got this wrong? My money would be on Tuchel or Allegri, which is pretty predictable 

4 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I think he plays to the strengths of what he has at his disposal. When you have Vardy to use, you need to find ways of playing him in and counter attack probably suits it best. We have that very problem with Werner.

Going back to his Swansea and Reading days, under his management in the Championship and then into PL with Swansea, they were very much possession based and passing teams. If anything, they could over pass it at times. I think he has adapted his philosophy on this over the years with experience, he will now mix things up much more than sticking to one style of play.

I know many don't like the idea because he was at Liverpool, but he has been largely successful everywhere he has been. He got Swansea promoted and up to 11th, got Liverpool playing well and runners up, undefeated season and trebles at Celtic, doing well with Leicester. He has been coaching since he was 20 and often described as a student of the game, he knows the league and will be familiar with the club structure having spent time here.

Above all of that though his teams have an identity and he has a tried and tested PL system that I think will suit our players. Looking at his Leicester team many of the players are similar to ours, either in skill set or profile.

Vardy - Werner
Ndidi - Kante
Maddison - Havertz
Teilemann - Mount
Barnes - Pulisic
Jonny Evans - Thiago Silva
James Justin - Reese James
Castagne - Chilwell's replacement
Fofana - Zouma, Tomori, Rudiger
Iheanacho - Tammy

I'm not saying they are all identical but I really feel he could hit the ground running applying his system here, because the formation is similar and he knows the patterns of play to get the best out of similar players. It would much less risky than signing some bundesliga ir Italian coach and we wouldn't need to sign a load of new players to fit some new system. He has shown he can turn around under performing teams. Our squad is generally better than Leicester that is around the European places so I don't see why he couldn't get us playing well and be successful.

I don't recall any Benitez-esque offensive comments about us (I'm sure someone will remind me if there were!) we probably don't like him because his Liverpool team were actually quite good. Would be tough to prize him away from Leicester mid season but standout candidate for me.

• Like 1

I've watched today's performance objectively keeping emotions aside. I've come to the conclusion that the players are in that downhill spiral where they don't know what to do on the pitch. This usually happens when the manager has tried everything and is not able to turn it around. This is very reminiscent of the last days of some of the managers we have sacked in previous years.

I remember during the bad run in leading to the sacking of Andes Villas Boas, that even players like Terry, Drogba, Lampart et al were looking poor. Same happenned during Jose last days here where all the players just looked like they dont know how to play.

We can micro analyze all we want players like Werner, Havertz, Kante and find faults but at the end of the day the team looks bereft of ideas on how to play cohesively. Unfortunately this is on the manager who also happens to be one of the best players in Chelsea's history.

I don't want us to sack Lampard immediately because there is a lot at stake here. All the players came here because of him and bringing in another manager might lead to a significant churn among the players. What I want to see is if Lampard has realized that the way we are playing now is not working and if he is able to turn this around. I'm willing to give him atleast till end of season to see if he is able to take on such a big job or it was never meant for him to succeed at Chelsea

Edited by lastbronx4u

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, Blue_Fever said:

Can anyone tell me what our play style is supposed to be? I'm struggling to figure it out. How does Frank see us playing? Of the big 6 teams only us and Arsenal I can't figure out what our play style is supposed to be. 

That's a very good point. If the results were bad but there was a clear direction we were going in, it would be more tolerable. We look like eleven strangers on a field which is why we can beat only crap teams as our players are vastly superior

30 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

For me, much like Contes second season but for completely different reasons, I'm at the stage of anyone but the current manager. Literally anyone. It can no get any worse.

Yup. To protect Frank's status as much as anything. 

I like the Southampton manager.

Would love Simeone if we are being greedy

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

This is why I don't think he'll go during the season. I think even the minimum expectation is now realistically beyond us, so there's little to be gained from it. I'm very confident the decision for him to not be here for 2021/2022 has been made though, and likely made by October.

Yes the season is over, but we are worse than that.  I think if he stays there is a real risk we don't get a CL place, how do you put off the remainder of the rebuilding to summer 2021 if you don't have a CL place.
Liverpool and Man U are 7 points ahead with a game in hand.
Leicester are 6 points ahead.
City and Spurs and Everton are 3 points ahead with 2, 1 & 1 game in hand.

I can see how any other club can be expected to revert to norm and fall away, but right now there are 6 clubs ahead of us, and 3 need to  be overtaken for us to get a CL place.   Not something that can be left to chance.

Besides I really doubt Frank wants the job anymore, and he doesn't have the back up coaches to run the team without a lot of his input.

1 minute ago, Sir said:

It’s just a tad farcical. I think it was Chara who was bang out of order to be honest. 

Possibly - he is instinctively very defensive of Jane.
But it was a bad defeat, we are on page 55 already, not a good day for restoring the pecking order.
And while your role has been largely quiet and behind the scenes, newer members have seen a very public handover from MT to Jane.  It is not surprising they aren't aware of what else goes on.

A good day to leave the matter I hope.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

At least Sarri realised that if you want to pass it out from the back, you should have 2 ball playing centre backs and a ball playing DM. 

We are making life much harder for ourselves than it needs to be

Yup.  There were horrendous moments in this game.  Every team that has pressed us has caused us tremendous problems.  WBA for example - another team to go 3-0 up by h/t.

4 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I know many don't like the idea because he was at Liverpool, but he has been largely successful everywhere he has been. He got Swansea promoted and up to 11th, got Liverpool playing well and runners up, undefeated season and trebles at Celtic, doing well with Leicester. He has been coaching since he was 20 and often described as a student of the game, he knows the league and will be familiar with the club structure having spent time here.

Above all of that though his teams have an identity and he has a tried and tested PL system that I think will suit our players. Looking at his Leicester team many of the players are similar to ours, either in skill set or profile.

Vardy - Werner
Ndidi - Kante
Maddison - Havertz
Teilemann - Mount
Barnes - Pulisic
Jonny Evans - Thiago Silva
James Justin - Reese James
Castagne - Chilwell's replacement
Fofana - Zouma, Tomori, Rudiger
Iheanacho - Tammy

I'm not saying they are all identical but I really feel he could hit the ground running applying his system here, because the formation is similar and he knows the patterns of play to get the best out of similar players. It would much less risky than signing some bundesliga ir Italian coach and we wouldn't need to sign a load of new players to fit some new system. He has shown he can turn around under performing teams. Our squad is generally better than Leicester that is around the European places so I don't see why he couldn't get us playing well and be successful.

I don't recall any Benitez-esque offensive comments about us (I'm sure someone will remind me if there were!) we probably don't like him because his Liverpool team were actually quite good. Would be tough to prize him away from Leicester mid season but standout candidate for me.

In general I agree. 

I’m not a huge fan of his delivery at times, he comes across a bit Sales Director who has some new core vision to sell.

I can imagine he will interview brilliantly. He does get positive results on the pitch too and his style of play is good to watch.

Like you mentioned, he comes across as the most natural fit for the players we have. 

The old tricky second season. I said it when he was appointed it was going to be the real test.. However there is still time Look at ManU

7 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

He nailed that post match interview. It’s like watching the Obama of football. However, the proof must be discovered in the pudding. 

Don't get me started on Obama - but yes exactly that.

32 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I think if a change does come, the serious questions are what is the vision that the club want footballing wise.

Do they want a coach with new ideas who works with younger players, but lacks trophies on his CV. Along the lines of Nagelsmann, Hassenhutel. 

Do they want a high profile winner along the lines of Allegri.

Do they go more pragmatic and give someone  like a Nuno Santo s chance to step up.

Or Do they aim for a blend of both with someone like Rodgers. 

Rodgers is a bit cringe and David Brentesque at times, but I think he would be one of the main targets I would be looking towards.

I think the hierarchy at the club need to understand what they want first though. 

Of course they want Allegri.  That PSG "couldn't afford Allegri" a few weeks ago might be a clue.  They took an 18 month temp instead.

If I were Rodgers I'd demand a lot of money to leave Leicester.  They look much more likely to be playing CL football next season than us.