• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Manchester City 3

Stim   
7 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well my son has just sent me a short link from The Athletic which suggests that the club has indeed been looking at managerial alternatives because of “issues with results and behind the scenes”.

An american article, pre written before the game, using opinion of management of the game, posted 3 minutes after the game. Anyone here could have written that and have it be plausible. It's based on nothing but assumption.

6 hours ago, ugogbuzue said:

Do you think Lamps will manage another team in the Premier League? See what unpreparedness and greedy has caused

Hahahahahah greed. He was going about his business managing Derby and he got given the opportunity and he took it. If we are going to knock him for ambition then we really should get Allardyce.

Such a bizarre criticism.

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Of course we didn't. And with you, it wouldn't matter if we had. As you were.

Eh? 

Blue Rod   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Oh there are plenty - look at Juve who just did the same thing with Pirlo and are sitting 5th, 10 points off the top in Italy having won the last 9 league titles.

Sarri must be laughing his head off.  He is doing a Ziyech/Benayoun.

But I doubt Marina/RA will make the same mistake again.

I was being a tad too optimistic. Sentimentalism is not done with football as yet. 

Talk about Marina, I have no sexist bone in me body.  But her arrival and her growing role has reversed our growth as a club. I would have the Emenalo days back any time.  I wonder what else she might have messed up; probably a lot. 

Dingus   
1 hour ago, Stim said:

An american article, pre written before the game, using opinion of management of the game, posted 3 minutes after the game. Anyone here could have written that and have it be plausible. It's based on nothing but assumption.

Hahahahahah greed. He was going about his business managing Derby and he got given the opportunity and he took it. If we are going to knock him for ambition then we really should get Allardyce.

Such a bizarre criticism.

The Athletic have UK based reporters now of which these articles come from. They also do the Chelsea podcast “Straight Outta Cobham” which is a good listen.

8 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Those guys were low-block, counter-attacking managers. They were comfortable playing without the ball (and both massively successful). 

Sarri was a possession based philosophy. Lampard clearly loves the high press, storming full-backs, possession-based approach.

I'm not saying that another manager couldn't tailor his approach to this squad (If Lampard goes Ancelotti would be my pick) but if someone like Allegri is brought in it would be awful.

I am also not so sure why Lampard's CV is such an issue. OGS and Arteta dont have lovely CVs either. If Lampard is so hopelessly out of his depth, why did he outperform someone like Brendan Rogers last year?

The CV thing just doesn't make sense IMO.

I mean ... I haven't mentioned a CV at all? But equally I wouldn't understand a position that purposefully glosses over what a player or manager has achieved in the past. They are obviously very useful things to know.

As for the bit I've put in bold ... I read people saying this and I've heard Lampard say it himself, but I don't see it anywhere on the pitch for us. High-pressing? Did you see City's first goal yesterday? We've played with high full backs for about 15 years under a range of very different managers, and our possession is limited to Kante and Zouma knocking it between each other. I don't see a philosophy there.

Edited by thevelourfog

Ham   
1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

Talk about Marina, I have no sexist bone in me body.  But her arrival and her growing role has reversed our growth as a club. I would have the Emenalo days back any time.  I wonder what else she might have messed up; probably a lot. 

Wow! That's a new one. 

Seen Nuno's name mentioned over the last couple of pages. He is a potentially interesting candidate, he has a certain a steel about him I quite like. Whilst he does not tell you much and remains very much on the same level, its hard not to be impressed by how he handles himself as a club figure head.

He has also been the only manager who has found a key to getting something remotely consistent out of Traore, whilst he also helped turned Jimenez from a striker with some potential, to a feared No9 throughout the Premier League.

I suppose the big question to overcome is the 3/5 at the back. Obviously we have had some success playing this way under Conte, its still very much a formation that purposely hands the initiative to the opposition. The questions are would he look at being more expansive with better players on paper? Does he need to in order to be successful at a bigger club ? If he was to try and be more expansive, does it all fall apart because he does not have the tools to manage/coach a team in this manner.

He's certainly been very impressive since he came to England and something very intriguing about him stepping up to a higher level. He comes with a lot of questions, which I don't really have any answers for.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

I was being a tad too optimistic. Sentimentalism is not done with football as yet. 

They do entirely different roles 

Emenalo was a scout. Marina is the chief exec.

28 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

As for the bit I've put in bold ... I read people saying this and I've heard Lampard say it himself, but I don't see it anywhere on the pitch for us. High-pressing? Did you see City's first goal yesterday? We've played with high full backs for about 15 years under a range of very different managers, and our possession is limited to Kante and Zouma knocking it between each other. I don't see a philosophy there.

Personally I have seen identity and style from Lampard through last season and I’m bits this season. High-press (often lead by Mount), possession and few touches and marauding wing backs. I’m certain he’s aiming for something along the lines of Liverpool and City but doesn’t have the players to do it’s 

The problem for us has been that it’s not worked at all this season. We have also gone from a 4231 to a 433. Perhaps not a massive change, but that tweak has not worked out as our midfield is now completely reliant on link between midfield and attack coming from our wingers (and none of them has set the world alight). 

Personally I think that we need to make some changes. I’d be interested to see a 4312. Think that could be something the current squad could implement to stop the slide. 

Mendy

James        Silva      Zouma     Chilwell

Kante   Jorginho   Mount

Havertz

Giroud           Werner

In this formation Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi would play in one of the from three positions and Ziyech #10 or RCM. But it would require a lot from both Chilwell and James. 

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

They do entirely different roles 

Emenalo was a scout. Marina is the chief exec.

Who's scouting for players now then ?

I get the impression we leave it to the agents to tell us who they have available on their roster and go from there .