• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Manchester City 3

chara   
Just now, PeteRobbo said:

I'm saying that no club can have an arrogant expectation of doing so. Trophies are up for competition by all teams involved and “history” very obviously lies in the past and doesn't warrant any righteous expectation with regard to the future.

Well said PR....in two lines what I just spent a long'ish post trying to say......

1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

If you were going to buy anyone it would be a midfielder who knows how to play that position. of the current crop, one is purely designed for sarri ball, the other got poisoned by sarri ball and seems unable to go back to basics which won him back to back PL titles.

Someone like Matic midfielder who can mix it and mess it up if you get my drift, Maybe Manure would loan him until the end of the season.

At this moment in time Rice is not the answer especially at 80m

Yep I agree. Midfield is the black hole area we should focus on.

chara   
6 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yep I agree. Midfield is the black hole area we should focus on.

Probably that short line sums up pages and pages of postings on various forum headings......and we ALL know that........be the same whoever was in charge at the moment given the available squad.

Edited by chara

paulw66   
44 minutes ago, Ham said:

When we talk about "spending" £220m that doesn't necessarily mean immediately improving by £220m. 

In some cases we are simply replacing battle hardened pros with newer, possibly less ready for the PL, replacements. 

"Spending" £220m falls into the trap of forgetting that we sold the same value before buying. 

If this group of players isn't challenging for the title next season them I would agree that there has been a massive failure. At that point of be very worried. 

I wasn't suggesting we should expect to be be winning or challenging for the title this season, but I never thought in a million years that virtually halfway through the season and we'd be heading for significantly less points. 

1 hour ago, chara said:

I hate to sound a Frank apologist and am very concerned about the current situation... spending a huge sum just to get a squad up to a starting point is what has happened as far as I can see....the whole back line has changed...the midfield is a shambles for many reasons ...injuries have not helped and the "front" line..whatever that is has been chopped and changed for reasons well explained on here.

Yet here we all are screaming for a management change as if that would instantly change everything.

Is Frank the man for the present/future?...not looking good but up at OT a few short weeks ago it was a similar scenario..now they could go top!....sign of how bizarre a season this is.

Scenario 1,,,,Frank getrs sacked today...who comes in?.....or perhaps the question is who is available and a real upgrade on the present inexperienced coaching team?

Scenario 2,,,Frank and staff stay until end of season and stay because things improved or go because things didn't improve.

This was never going to be a title challenging season...how could it be?

Entitlement......for the last twenty years Chelsea have challenged most seasons..the odd blip but titles and trophys far beyond anything I ever imagined back in the real "Shed" days....the Leeds final and replay was the height of our success along with the RM final......... things to cling to....now anything below 3/4 is considered a disaster.....

Get a grip......as written many times...THE OTHER CLUBS ARE TRYING TO WIN AS WELL.....only a couple of sides every season are fodder..and even then they sting a side or two.

SFL had a bad start way back.....Frank is not doing well and if it continues then a change ..a considered change not a knee jerk one...must come......

Everything in that first paragraph maybe true. It’s also everything he can influence and has influenced.

He could have added CBs ahead of 1-2 of the expensive attacking signings. It seems pretty clear to me the emphasis was on attackers with Silva added late in the day. 

He could have addressed the CM option if he felt it was a priority. But didn’t really, unless the plan is/was to use Havertz there. That still don’t resolve the problem though. 

He did address the forward line with a marquee signing who doesn’t suit how we play. 

So whilst your first paragraph has valid points. I would argue his mistakes in this area are one reason we why we are in a bit of a mess.

Ham   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I wasn't suggesting we should expect to be be winning or challenging for the title this season, but I never thought in a million years that virtually halfway through the season and we'd be heading for significantly less points. 

I get that but when buying so many untested expensive prospects, finishing on less points in the first year was always a possibility. 

9 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Everything in that first paragraph maybe true. It’s also everything he can influence and has influenced.

He could have added CBs ahead of 1-2 of the expensive attacking signings. It seems pretty clear to me the emphasis was on attackers with Silva added late in the day. 

He could have addressed the CM option if he felt it was a priority. But didn’t really, unless the plan is/was to use Havertz there. That still don’t resolve the problem though. 

He did address the forward line with a marquee signing who doesn’t suit how we play. 

So whilst your first paragraph has valid points. I would argue his mistakes in this area are one reason we why we are in a bit of a mess.

Exactly this.

This wasn't an episode of Ready Steady Cook, where some random has handed a £5 bag of ingredients to a chef and said "here's some shopping, cook with that".

17 minutes ago, Ham said:

I get that but when buying so many untested expensive prospects, finishing on less points in the first year was always a possibility. 

I think those claiming that we could be worse than last year by replacing Willian, Christensen, Alonso and Kepa with Werner, Silva, Chilwell and Mendy need to have a read of some of their own posts for the past year.

Do you think we would have more points now if we only bought say Mendy?
After all loads of people seem to think he cost us 20 points last year, and he may have (cost us 10).
Would anyone want to swap Willian for Werner?  Pedro for Ziyech?  Bring back RLC and Barkley for Havertz?  Luiz(33) for Silva (36).

How about more pre-season time for the new players?
How long should we have stuck with Alonso/Emerson so we could give Chilwell time to get used to our system at Cobham?  3 more games?  6 more games?  Or was sticking Chilwell in at short notice actually good?
Ditto Mendy and Silva, because they seemed to adapt pretty well to a new country, new league, new language and team mates.

17 league games into the season is it about time that Havertz and Werner should have got used to the system, but it seems to me they were actually pretty good for the first few games then went down hill.

21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think those claiming that we could be worse than last year by replacing Willian, Christensen, Alonso and Kepa with Werner, Silva, Chilwell and Mendy need to have a read of some of their own posts for the past year.

Do you think we would have more points now if we only bought say Mendy?
After all loads of people seem to think he cost us 20 points last year, and he may have (cost us 10).
Would anyone want to swap Willian for Werner?  Pedro for Ziyech?  Bring back RLC and Barkley for Havertz?  Luiz(33) for Silva (36).

How about more pre-season time for the new players?
How long should we have stuck with Alonso/Emerson so we could give Chilwell time to get used to our system at Cobham?  3 more games?  6 more games?  Or was sticking Chilwell in at short notice actually good?
Ditto Mendy and Silva, because they seemed to adapt pretty well to a new country, new league, new language and team mates.

17 league games into the season is it about time that Havertz and Werner should have got used to the system, but it seems to me they were actually pretty good for the first few games then went down hill.

Havertz was played as a false nine for the first two games and stunk the place out Werner was played, out wide to compensate and was OK. Havertz scoring a hattrick  against Barnsley was nice though.

Had we been able to start Mendy over Kepa we'd be a few points better off too. 

Mendy isn't great but he's Lev Yashin compared to Kepa. 

The point is Barkley, Pedro and Willian were established Premier league players and they were replaced by promising newbies. 

If we're interested in what everyone thought of those players then you should look closer to home as you've been bigging up Willian for years! 

It's not easy. 

Lampard however is really not doing as well as we hoped. 

Edited by Mark Kelly

chara   
48 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Again......you have stated better than me what I think I was trying to say......the last line I agree with especially the "one reason" bit.....it's the over simplification at times that bothers me....Your views are well laid out ..and thought out....thank you.

I would rather stutter (hoping to see progress but being honest enough to accept that Frank and his team are not up to it ultimately if nothing changes.) through this season and if a change is made it is a considered one than change now and watch the rest of the season stay the same more or less with someone trying to..hopefully..implement a system around a squad that has not found it's feet for many reasons.

An almost impossible task for any new coach imo. in mid season.