• Current Donation Goals

GURJ SS   
23 hours ago, chara said:

Think the midfield in both cases would be too vulnerable to being over run as has been shown so often this season but the squad is what it is and very few options available..Gilmour maybe but young and not right to put so much on him at this stage of his career.

If either attacking options clicked would be less of an issue but to evidence to date shows liitle sign of anything really clicking this season...a glimmer of hope would be nice!

I think Lamps should really think of maybe putting a centre back in the defensive mid role, doesn't have to be great on the ball but just needs to sit in position and offer us some real game reading protection - Rudiger maybe? But they would require either Kovacic or Jorginho with them so they have a player comfortable on the ball near them. It might allow us to play more attacking but with protection. One of my reasons to have Dave in Chilwell's place is that I think although he keeps things tidy, Chilwell tends to overcommit when our right back has already made it into advance positions, and if just leaves us a little bare at the back on the counter; like Kante he always seems to be chasing an opposition player down rather than being in their way.

Very true, I would say that our injuries have done us absolutely no favours, and we've also lost the experience of Willian. I think with so many changes, in hindsight we should have used Werner, Havertz and Ziyech as rotation players slowly implementing them while reducing game time of those they would replace.

GURJ SS   
On 05/01/2021 at 7:37 PM, Mark Kelly said:

It's a nice idea Gurj but we all know, James and Chilwell will spend all day lumping in crosses to nobody if Giroud isn't playing. 

In a way I think that's our weakness, don't get me wrong they're both great players but I think the style of fullback we needed is someone who maybe runs on the inside and dribbles at the opposition more. Reese is fine with this as he's able to do it, I think because he has such a good cross he seems to be known as a crossing fullback, but he's able to do much more. It's left back where I think a Reguilon type of players was needed more than a Chilwell, Chilwell tends to have to pass sideways or backwards unless there's time for a cross, but because our left mid tends to cut in we needed someone who's able to run at the opposition and dribble past a player. Personally I think Emerson does that more, and Alonso brings a different game where he gets into more advance positions and times his runs well. Chilwell is new to the team and still young-ish, but I think his style of play is maybe what we didn't need from a left back who can find themselves alone out wide on the wing.

Edit: I'm currently watching the Man City/Utd game, and Pep is using Zinchenko and Cancelo the way I'm trying to explain we should be using full backs. They are part of the playmaking in deeper roles so it gives the attacking players far more freedom to rotate, and cover for a counter attack by the opposition. Main issue is with the 4 players we have as full backs we'd struggle to play it, so have to go for a more direct route with them. Emerson and Reese are probably the only players we have who could play as 'inverted' fullbacks.

Edited by GURJ SS
  • Thanks 1

Kezza   

For some reason Lamps will drop CHO in this game and play Werner on the wing. 

Kezza   

On 1/7/2021 at 3:57 AM, GURJ SS said:

In a way I think that's our weakness, don't get me wrong they're both great players but I think the style of fullback we needed is someone who maybe runs on the inside and dribbles at the opposition more. Reese is fine with this as he's able to do it, I think because he has such a good cross he seems to be known as a crossing fullback, but he's able to do much more. It's left back where I think a Reguilon type of players was needed more than a Chilwell, Chilwell tends to have to pass sideways or backwards unless there's time for a cross, but because our left mid tends to cut in we needed someone who's able to run at the opposition and dribble past a player. Personally I think Emerson does that more, and Alonso brings a different game where he gets into more advance positions and times his runs well. Chilwell is new to the team and still young-ish, but I think his style of play is maybe what we didn't need from a left back who can find themselves alone out wide on the wing.

Edit: I'm currently watching the Man City/Utd game, and Pep is using Zinchenko and Cancelo the way I'm trying to explain we should be using full backs. They are part of the playmaking in deeper roles so it gives the attacking players far more freedom to rotate, and cover for a counter attack by the opposition. Main issue is with the 4 players we have as full backs we'd struggle to play it, so have to go for a more direct route with them. Emerson and Reese are probably the only players we have who could play as 'inverted' fullbacks.

The players are one thing but the bigger part of the issue is much greater than that. It's not really the personnel but more the system or tactic. Does anyone really think the likes of Zinchenko and Cancelo are world class reknowned entities? At least when they joined the club who knew about them? They were molded to fit the system. Does anyone think that they are superior to who we have? Pep fit these half decent players and asked them to play to a system. We merely let players carry on with what they thought most effective for them. Hence no imparting of coaching to fit into a distinctive style of play or system.

• Like 2

paulw66   
8 hours ago, Kezza said:

The players are one thing but the bigger part of the issue is much greater than that. It's not really the personnel but more the system or tactic. Does anyone really think the likes of Zinchenko and Cancelo are world class reknowned entities? At least when they joined the club who knew about them? They were molded to fit the system. Does anyone think that they are superior to who we have? Pep fit these half decent players and asked them to play to a system. We merely let players carry on with what they thought most effective for them. Hence no imparting of coaching to fit into a distinctive style of play or system.

Zinchenko has played 1 PL game all season,

Cancelo is the world's most expensive right back. I am not sure Pep deservers credit for how well this "half decent" player is. 

Edited by paulw66

bert19   

So I'm going 4-2-3-1 

Mendy 

Azpi Zouma Thiago Chilwell 

Kante Mount

CHO Havertz Pulisic 

Giroud

Edited by bert19

Jasonb   

I've watched a bit of Fulham.

Parker is making them tougher to beat and their star attacking player is Lookman, decent on a 1-1 basis and capable of a wonder striker on his day.

I'm hoping that Havertz will start to get on to crosses by running into the box in support of Giroud.

We saw yesterday he can produce a decent header.

Edited by Jasonb

26 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I'm hoping that Havertz will start to get on to crosses by running into the box in support of Giroud.

We saw yesterday he can produce a decent header.

I did not see anything yesterday that give me confidence for this match.

Agree for this one the team should start with Giroud and Havertz, as there matchbox size pitch is not designed for expansive counter attacking football.

paulw66   

Game being rearranged for Saturday as Fulham now playing Spurs on Wednesday.

Edit - 17:30 kick off. 

Edited by paulw66

Diddymen   
2 hours ago, bert19 said:

So I'm going 4-2-3-1 

Mendy 

Azpi Zouma Thiago Chilwell 

Kante Mount

CHO Havertz Pulisic 

Giroud

Kante is suspended for this one