• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Leicester City 2 Chelsea 0

23 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Perhaps - but dicking about at the back seems to be the only thing they can remember.

No - in the first 5 minutes, Toni to a leaf out of Howard Wilkinson's tactics book and punted a couple of beautiful balls over the Leicester back line for someone to run on to, unfortunately suited player for over the top balls was siting on the bench (maybe Toni did out of sympathy)

37 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

No - in the first 5 minutes, Toni to a leaf out of Howard Wilkinson's tactics book and punted a couple of beautiful balls over the Leicester back line for someone to run on to, unfortunately suited player for over the top balls was siting on the bench (maybe Toni did out of sympathy)

I thought this actually WAS a deliberate piece of planning.
A bit of of Plan C to start the game is an old JM trick to stop the oppo pre-empting Plan A.
Similarly the first two corners recently have been short or pulled back to Mount with the aim of forcing some of the blockers to cover these ploys, and then every corner afterwards went precisely where Zouma usually runs.
The long balls were to stop Leicester's CBs from pushing too high up on Tammy and crowding the area we really wanted to play in.
If I recall in both cases Pulisic came into a central position while Tammy drew CBs out and Pulisic uses his pace to chase the long balls.  Pulisic didn't take up those positions later on.  Plan A from then on.

But what is so weird is that Plan C looked so much better rehearsed than Plan A.
I wonder which er coach thought it up?

chara   
15 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'd have thought that being from the wild frontier you would be a bit quicker on the draw!

(ooh do you have a gun?!!)

Nope..have guns (no handguns)but not a quick draw man...(with most things!)...to quote a mate after a,fortunately, very anti-climatic incident in New Mexico near the border..."Anyway..you're s*** with a handgun"...sad but true!!...Sorry...and still curses!

Blue Rod   
15 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

TBF no one has ever said they hate Lampard. They would quite literally be chased off the forum. But no one said he will 100% fail and no one said he is the Second Coming. I certainly thought he was worth a crack and still do. He was certainly the right man for the job last season and I don't think anyone could have done better in the circumstances. I think he exceeded most peoples expectations including yours. But this season has been a bit odd. As a supporter of his , he has made me wince a bit with some of his decisions and actions. TBF  every manager we have ever had has at some point had me scratching my head with some decisions. I was a fan of Mourinho but why when he was on the point of the sack,  he kept playing Ivanovic who was literally stinking out the joint. It was totally beyond me. 

But some humility is needed. I have never played pro football (have you?). I have never won the CL or multiple titles, been coached by some of the best coaches on the planet. I haven't coached  a pro side and I'm certainly not at Chelsea training watching and working with the players. But that doesn't stop me saying that IMO the following decisions are worth scrutiny...here's my Top 10:

1) Playing Kepa at the start of the season. It was a big call as Mendy hadn't arrived but he should have gone with Cabs from the off. Kepa cost us in those early games. I knew he would.

2) Playing Christenson at the start of the season when he too was so out of form. Rudiger too. Tomorri has not had a look in.

3) Continually playing Werner through our current poor spell when he was barely playing at Division 1 level.

4) Playing James when he wasn't fit and was in pain. He gave away the pen and then did himself for future games. Still not quite recovered fitness and he had been our best player.

5) Not organising a Plan B system. In meaningless CL games or cup games he should have experimented with something other than 433. He has been too stubborn with this.

6) Putting Rudiger in when we already had a solid CB partnership of Zouma and Silva.

7) Generally being too slow with subs when games are not going our way.

8) Not playing Giroud more.

9) Sending out on loan Barcley when we only have mainly small light- weight midfielders. 

10) Sending out Ampedu when he might have well have sent out AC or Tomorri instead.

I don't expect everyone agrees with all those points but thats not my point. I am allowed to have this observations and make of them what I will. I really really hope he gets through this, but if he doesn't I will look back at those points and wonder what might have been.

I hear what you are saying about all these wrong decisions. But I prefer to take a sum-total view of Lampard's performance. I note that for every bad performance, we as fans have managed to find a player who should not have played, did play poorly, or should have played. Perhaps Frank Lampard has been listening to us. Because he has then brought in the very player who was "missed" only for the team performance not to improve at all. Not long ago, it was Kante, of all people, who was slowing us down in the middle. Since he got suspended, I think we have been worse if anything.  

I have said many times, that the players are not entirely without blame for how poorly we are playing. As early as the middle of last season, I got a few eyes rolling when I said that there was something frosty about the body language of some of our senior players. My gut feeling for a long time has been that for whatever reason, the players, one by one rather than as a group, have stopped trying. It could be that they don't believe that Lampard is up to the job. If I am right, then no manager has ever recovered from that situation - in another job, maybe, but not in the current. 

Managers use different skills to succeed. Some are excellent coaches, others brilliant tacticians and some may have neither of those but have a personality that players warm to and are prepared to break a leg for. I may be wrong, but it doesn't look to me that Lampard has any of these qualities. There seems to be little or no eye contact between him and some of the senior players. You would find a better body language between a Crown Prosecutor and a violent criminal. Maybe Lampard is just unlucky. But whatever it is, we seem to all agree that it is time to call it a day. 

We will now almost certainly not qualify for CL. My fear is that the more this group of players realise that they don't stand a chance of playing in that competition next season, the more we get sucked into that vicious circle - frustration over failure leading to even more failure. 

Edited by Blue Rod

paulw66   
On 22/01/2021 at 1:11 AM, NoblyBobly said:

1) Playing Kepa at the start of the season. It was a big call as Mendy hadn't arrived but he should have gone with Cabs from the off. Kepa cost us in those early games. I knew he would.

2) Playing Christenson at the start of the season when he too was so out of form. Rudiger too. Tomorri has not had a look in.

3) Continually playing Werner through our current poor spell when he was barely playing at Division 1 level.

4) Playing James when he wasn't fit and was in pain. He gave away the pen and then did himself for future games. Still not quite recovered fitness and he had been our best player.

5) Not organising a Plan B system. In meaningless CL games or cup games he should have experimented with something other than 433. He has been too stubborn with this.

6) Putting Rudiger in when we already had a solid CB partnership of Zouma and Silva.

7) Generally being too slow with subs when games are not going our way.

8) Not playing Giroud more.

9) Sending out on loan Barcley when we only have mainly small light- weight midfielders. 

10) Sending out Ampedu when he might have well have sent out AC or Tomorri instead.

I don't expect everyone agrees with all those points but thats not my point. I am allowed to have this observations and make of them what I will. I really really hope he gets through this, but if he doesn't I will look back at those points and wonder what might have been.

agree with a lot of these.........some very odd decisions. To loan out both RLC and Barkley when there was always a chance Havertz would take time to adapt was daft. Especially as we then went into the season with 3 left backs and 5 centre backs. At least 2 too many there. 

I would add the constant chopping and changing of the team every time we have a poor result. It seems like he doesn't trust his own plan at times. 

On 22/01/2021 at 7:20 AM, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

What you can’t do with Jorginho is be completely indecisive. One minute he’s the main man, then he’s out of the team because his flaws have exposed the team. Then he comes on in a game and wrestled back some control, so he then starts the next 3 games. Then that exact same cycle just repeats itself continuously.

18 months in now and he is still doing the same thing with Jorginho. He is not a standard footballer, you either want him or you don’t. If you want him, build around him. If you don’t, he goes to the back of the line until you can move him out. 

Completely agree here. You either pick him in the quarter back role and make use of his passing, accepting that he isn't that mobile, and plan accordingly. Or you don't bother. He seems completely between two stalls.

On 22/01/2021 at 10:53 AM, NoblyBobly said:

The only reason I didn't put that in there is because Lampard has not made Jorge a linch pin of his midfield. Sarri built the team around him , but with Lampard he's a bit part player. That is a Lampard positive IMO. 

Well, if you are going to play out from the back, you need that player to be able to control and pass the ball better and quicker than Kante (for example). Jorginho is perfect for Sarriball, but he needs protecting if you are going to play him. 

You say he is a bit part player under Lampard, but he wasn't last season (27 league starts) when we did a whole lot better with an inferior squad.  Either use him, or bin him. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Well, if you are going to play out from the back, you need that player to be able to control and pass the ball better and quicker than Kante (for example). Jorginho is perfect for Sarriball, but he needs protecting if you are going to play him. 

You say he is a bit part player under Lampard, but he wasn't last season (27 league starts) when we did a whole lot better with an inferior squad.  Either use him, or bin him. 

Big Jorginho fan, but the is true.
And likewise we cannot play the current style with Kante (or Zouma).  Style has to change or players have to change/move position.