• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 3 Luton Town 1

8 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

And my point is this:

Gilmour, Tomori and Hudson-Odoi should all be first choice players for us. Gilmour is better than both Jorginho and Kovacic imo and his potential is way, way higher then those two players combined. Hudson-Odoi has been better than both Pulisic and Ziyech so no idea how he isn’t starting at the minute. Tomori is the only one where I’d agree there’s a case he’s CB3 behind Zouma/Silva. 

You are on a roll now.

6 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Are you seriously daft? It’s opinions ffs. There’s no right or wrong. Your opinion is no more right than anyone else’s. This is not your personal blog. You are not the judge of who’s opinions are right and who’s wrong. We are not talking about verifiable facts here. Stop being such an ass. 

Sure so long as you accept that they are extreme opinions that can't be used as a basis for further discussion except with yourself or anyone who accepts them.  
I could argue that say kepa is easily the best keeper in the Prem (not actually my view), but I can't go on and demand he should be starting next match until a few more people are willing to accept the point.  It remains a contentious opinion, not a basis for anything else.

11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

No - neither were really leaders at that stage, just sage old heads.  Chopper had been a young captain, replaced by a young John Hollins.  His role from 1975 was to look menacingly at anyone treating our kids too roughly.

Actually I suspect part of the rationale of giving Wilkins the captaincy was to let the old pros who were no longer being picked that their time was up and they were being moved on.  We had just been relegated and looking to play with a much smaller budget.

Those conditions do not apply right now.

Don't they?

The other candidates for captain have been Azpilicueta, Silva, Jorghino and Kovacic (today). 3 of these are irregular starters at best and the 4th is a temporary visitor. Not exactly the same situation, but similar in the sense, I would contend, that either they are reaching the end of their time at Chelsea, or they haven't stepped up as reliable captain's themselves.

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

What is the link?

Personally I don't see that Gilmour would do any worse than, for the easiest example, Jorginho but I also don't see that he'd do much better. Our whole team absolutely crumbles under even the slightest oppo press. It is a team issue, not an individual issue, and there's nothing about playing well against Morecambe and Luton that would help with that. 

I'd send him out on loan to somewhere he'll play every week. Whatever your opinion is, I'd be surprised if any posters here do honestly think he'll start many PL games and I'd sooner have him getting the games he needs to be a Mount or Abraham next season than on the bench here.

The link ? Seriously ? if you can’t see it on the thread not sure a link or anything I say will help

On Gilmour, He should stay and play.

Too much is made of the loan system Its a cop out excuse in Gilmours case. On Loaning players is not cast in stone that you have to and not always a bonus.

Take Ampadu last year sat on his arse on the Leipzig bench no impact whatsoever, This year getting pummeled every week with the worst club in the Premiership,  Now is that good for his career  ?

Gallagher, Last year went ok this year Not much more than Ampadu, with the benefit of Alladyce. Same again is that Good ?

We play better with Gilmour and yes a defensive midfield beside him would help but we don’t have one,, so that’s no a great reason not to Play him, More predictable than guessing which one of  Kova, Kante or ‘The path of least resistance’ TM Gets Hooked for being rubbish.

Playing against Morcambe and Luton, You seem to have forgotten Everton and Liverpool last year MOTM I believe.

He is good enough and like James and Mount will get better with games here.

Diddymen   

Unfortunately we are now chopping and changing formations / players very late in the season. This doesn’t bode well for players to gain some sort of connection with each other. Every game now feels like it’s the first time they’ve played.

Just watched the manure match and they now seem to have a cohesive team even after they were playing crap earlier in the season

Edited by Diddymen

1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Yeah that’s right, another sly dig  

Iets hope Frank plays Billy and every game from now on, to see how long it take posters to realise he is not ready for a full PL campaign. 

Sly ?  LOL  I thought it was blinding obvious. But Thank you for playing :)

5 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Should have played much more, was handled terribly, yet I suspect there is far more to it than we know about.

Absolutely made the right decision for himself and I wish him all the best.

Nope, never has been.

I agree. Think he is real prospect. I can only assume something has gone on so I wouldn't jump to the " terribly handled" unless we know the whole story. We know Lampard likes the academy boys. I do think that Lampard had a blind spot with AC. Bit better lately so maybe he knows more than we do. 

I actually find it genuinely sad that you find nothing positive at all since Lampards unexpected arrival at the club. Plenty of ups and downs for me but I wasn't expecting anything less. When I see 5 it 6 academy boys in our first team playing to a high level it makes my heart sing. And do you know what, I think it makes the man who ploughed a fortune unto that academy smile a bit too. 

Anyway , another game with Lampard in charge and no hope for the future for you to sit through next week. Not long now maybe. 

Chrisb   

Reading this thread you could be forgiven for thinking we’d lost to Luton!

Thought we played well and some of the quick passing (like that the led to the 3rd goal) was excellent. No doubt it’ll be pointed out again that it was “only Luton” but you can only play against what is put in front of you. 
If we put in a decent performance and beat a perceived “decent team” I imagine the match day thread will half the number of posters. 

I honestly reckon that there are some members who would moan if they won the lottery.

1 minute ago, RDC Williams said:

Don't they?

The other candidates for captain have been Azpilicueta, Silva, Jorghino and Kovacic (today). 3 of these are irregular starters at best and the 4th is a temporary visitor. Not exactly the same situation, but similar in the sense, I would contend, that either they are reaching the end of their time at Chelsea, or they haven't stepped up as reliable captain's themselves.

Well Werner and Havertz and Mendy and Zouma and Rudiger and Kante and Jorginho and Pulisic and Chilwell and Azpi all strike me as senior players we do NOT want to persuade to leave and might well be annoyed by a permanent Mount promotion.  Besides contracts work differently now, you can't just push away players you don't want anymore like they could in the 70s.

1 minute ago, southcoastal said:

Too much is made of the loan system Its a cop out excuse in Gilmours case. On Loaning players is not cast in stone that you have to and not always a bonus.

Take Ampadu last year sat on his arse on the Leipzig bench no impact whatsoever, This year getting pummeled every week with the worst club in the Premiership,  Now is that good for his career  ?

Not enough is made of the loan system.  I guess we will find out soon enough whether Ampadu's poor impact at Leipzig was the result of poor choice of loan or his own lack of form there. But certainly I would not have expected him to start more than 2 or 3 PL games last year.

But if he is going to fail, I'd much rather he failed at Leipzig than here.

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

We know Lampard likes the academy boys.

Really?  doesn't play them much.  Seems he much prefers players who have been hardened with a season or two in the Championship.
Possibly because he spent much more time with Derby than on the Academy side of the fence at Cobham.

1 hour ago, MikelBlue said:

On livescore app, he wasn't given the assist. Not sure if its official.

I wouldn't really call it an assist, he tried to play it across the box and it cannoned off the player right in front of him but happened to fall to Tammy who was some way behind him

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well Werner and Havertz and Mendy and Zouma and Rudiger and Kante and Jorginho and Pulisic and Chilwell and Azpi all strike me as senior players we do NOT want to persuade to leave and might well be annoyed by a permanent Mount promotion.  Besides contracts work differently now, you can't just push away players you don't want anymore like they could in the 70s.

Not enough is made of the loan system.  I guess we will find out soon enough whether Ampadu's poor impact at Leipzig was the result of poor choice of loan or his own lack of form there. But certainly I would not have expected him to start more than 2 or 3 PL games last year.

But if he is going to fail, I'd much rather he failed at Leipzig than here.

Really?  doesn't play them much.  Seems he much prefers players who have been hardened with a season or two in the Championship.
Possibly because he spent much more time with Derby than on the Academy side of the fence at Cobham.

^ didn't say he created them , I said he liked them. You know , the way he plays them and makes one of them skipper.

Edit: Cue for stats on how every other coach we have ever had has played and improved more academy players.  

Edited by NoblyBobly