• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 3 Luton Town 1

5 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

Reading this thread you could be forgiven for thinking we’d lost to Luton!

Interesting view.  Because I read the thread feeling we must have walloped Luton by so much that we can all celebrate the return to form of CFC and the assurance that Lampard will be here for the next 10 years just so long as he keeps picking Academy superstars and ignores seasoned internationals.

The season is reset - you are as good as your last game.  Frank Lampard is wearing a lovely set of new clothes.

22 minutes ago, southcoastal said:

The link ? Seriously ? if you can’t see it on the thread not sure a link or anything I say will help

On Gilmour, He should stay and play.

Too much is made of the loan system Its a cop out excuse in Gilmours case. On Loaning players is not cast in stone that you have to and not always a bonus.

Take Ampadu last year sat on his arse on the Leipzig bench no impact whatsoever, This year getting pummeled every week with the worst club in the Premiership,  Now is that good for his career  ?

Gallagher, Last year went ok this year Not much more than Ampadu, with the benefit of Alladyce. Same again is that Good ?

We play better with Gilmour and yes a defensive midfield beside him would help but we don’t have one,, so that’s no a great reason not to Play him, More predictable than guessing which one of  Kova, Kante or ‘The path of least resistance’ TM Gets Hooked for being rubbish.

Playing against Morcambe and Luton, You seem to have forgotten Everton and Liverpool last year MOTM I believe.

He is good enough and like James and Mount will get better with games here.

I mean, I haven't forgotten about them. I've just remembered us as a fan base doing this plenty of times in the past about young players. Would you have us go out any buy players to pick over current players based on two performances? I wouldn't, no matter how good.

You don't seem to have read my post very carefully. It's not "going out on loan" that helps young players. It's playing regular football. When a loan involves that, then yes, it helps careers. Sometimes that is developing ability and accumulating enough evidence of it to get a go at your parent club. Sometimes the help is that the parent club doesn't like what it sees and you get to go somewhere you'll actually have a career. And in fact, even some loans where players don't play help the club, even if not the player; if they aren't impressing enough to get picked elsewhere, we probably don't have to think too much about them.

What Billy Gilmour needs right now is regular football. We can all argue about whether or not he should get that here (a matter of opinion and not something I feel that strongly about) but the important question is whether or not he will. On that, I do have an opinion. I doubt he will. On that basis, because I rate him so highly, I'd rather he got those games somewhere else.

Mount and James have got better with games here, yes. But you, conveniently, neglect to mention they didn't get good enough to get games in the first place here. They got good enough playing regularly on loan.

Here's a question; do you think we'd genuinely be any better, performances and/or results, with Gilmour in the team? I really doubt it. Our problems are much bigger than that. 

Edited by thevelourfog

1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

^ didn't say he created them , I said he liked them. You know , the way he plays them and makes one of them skipper. 

He doesn't play the academy boys much - he much prefers players who have toughened up after a season or two in the Championship.  Like the Skipper today.
So no, he doesn't like Academy boys much.

Even if it does say that in the press a lot.

Chrisb   
4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

What Billy Gilmour needs right now is regular football. We can all argue about whether or not he should get that here (a matter of opinion and not something I feel that strongly about) but the important question is whether or not he will. On that, I do have an opinion. I doubt he will. On that basis, because I rate him so highly, I'd rather he got those games somewhere else.

That is the crux of the matter, and as it stands I agree wholeheartedly. 

9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

He doesn't play the academy boys much - he much prefers players who have toughened up after a season or two in the Championship.  Like the Skipper today.
So no, he doesn't like Academy boys much.

Even if it does say that in the press a lot.

Of course Droy. At least I'm getting to predict your next post before it happens. 

You know the definition of an academy product don't you? Mount is academy product because he went to our academy ( and like many good ones does a loan spell). Havertz on the other hand isn't because he didn't go to our academy and cost 70 million. He's also not getting as many minutes as some of our academy boys. Feel free to correct any mistakes.

Edited by NoblyBobly

4 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Of course Droy. At least I'm getting to predict your next post before it happens. 

I should hope so too.  Since it seems I have to repeat my posts to make them clear to you.

5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

You know the definition of an academy product don't you? Mount is academy product because he went to our academy ( and like many good ones does a loan spell). Havertz on the other hand isn't because he didn't go to our academy and cost 70 million. He's also not getting as many minutes as many of our academy boys. Feel free to correct any mistakes.

Well if that is how you want to define an Academy product you have to be amazed at how many games Gilmour has played already.  Mount and James had 0 minutes before last season.  Tammy and Tomori had 104 mins between them under Hiddink.  

Not at all the standard Academy route into the first team for Gilmour yet.  I think this should be fixed soon, ideally next week.

Edited by Droy was my hero

9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I mean, I haven't forgotten about them. I've just remembered us as a fan base doing this plenty of times in the past about young players. Would you have us go out any buy players to pick over current players based on two performances? I wouldn't, no matter how good.

You don't seem to have read my post very carefully. It's not "going out on loan" that helps young players. It's playing regular football. When a loan involves that, then yes, it helps careers. Sometimes that is developing ability and accumulating enough evidence of it to get a go at your parent club. Sometimes the help is that the parent club doesn't like what it sees and you get to go somewhere you'll actually have a career. And in fact, even some loans where players don't play help the club, even if not the player; if they aren't impressing enough to get picked elsewhere, we probably don't have to think too much about them.

Mount and James have got better with games here, yes. But you, conveniently, neglect to mention they didn't get good enough to get games in the first place here. They got good enough playing regularly on loan.

Here's a question; do you think we'd genuinely be any better, performances and/or results, with Gilmour in the team? I really doubt it. Our problems are much bigger than that. 

I will stick with the last bit as it is just subjective opinion, We both rate him we differ on where he gets his games.

We have many problems agreed, Have pointed out many times it will take more than 1 transfer widow to sort out the issues built up over the last few years. We just aint that good.

Gilmour as I see it, is an improvement in an area that requires attention, which is linking midfield to the attack through the middle or playing to our wide players,  Defensivly not too bad either He is not a singular salvation, just an improvement that can happen on the here and now rather than the future.

JaneB   
39 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

Reading this thread you could be forgiven for thinking we’d lost to Luton!

Thought we played well and some of the quick passing (like that the led to the 3rd goal) was excellent. No doubt it’ll be pointed out again that it was “only Luton” but you can only play against what is put in front of you. 
If we put in a decent performance and beat a perceived “decent team” I imagine the match day thread will half the number of posters. 

I honestly reckon that there are some members who would moan if they won the lottery.

Yes indeed :-(

Debate is good but it always turns into a battleground :-(

chara   

Come on guys..what a total waste of time the argument (discussion?) regarding Mount as Captain...who else would have worn the armband?

I truly don't believe it was/is an issue at the club today.

Faramir   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It was a nice cameo Billy, see you in 2022.

You are such a 'put down' artist.

If Jorghino was half the player you talk him up to be on this forum we wouldn't be having this conversation about Gilmour.

We are always vulnerable defensively when Jorginho plays because he is alarmingly slow and does not have the physical skills to help protect his central defenders. And you continually praising him and trying to convince us about the 'greatness' of Jorginho just loses you a healthy dose of crediblity on this forum.

• Like 2