• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 3 Luton Town 1

Jasonb   
19 hours ago, chara said:

Why am I a little worried about this game?....beyond the usual "cup upset" fear.....maybe it's the concern that the team put out will not match a lower sides commitment and desire..fighting spirit....?

Yes indeed, their cup final versus the Frank Lampard's misfiring Chelsea.

Could go either way.

This and the way he sets up in his next two League games will tell us a lot about Frank as a manager. 

asvaberg   

Enjoy, - my child/youth heroes here :) 

asvaberg   

ManCity doing great at Jonny-Rocks Stadium :) :) 

chara   
45 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Cheltenham - feel sorry for them :)

Yep..but at 1-0 I said if City get one they will get four,,,not far off...once the second one went in it was all over...keep ball and attack when a chance different from having to chase a goal....but well done Cheltenham..played well and fought all the way...class tells once again even if a bit squeeky at one stage.

The Romance of T'Coop.... hope that's enough lower side heroics for the weekend!!

4 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Eddie McCreadie's Blue and White Army.
Plenty of my heroes in there too.  
Finnieston in particular.  Well most of them in particular.

Funny I was just thinking yesterday how my hair looks exactly the same as it did in 1977 apart from the streaks of grey.
Those were the days, underage drinking and the first stirrings of punk.

People complain about the schedule now but look at this:
image.png.9e3a2caa52551d8d86409f21eda7a4e1.png

3 games in March, 3 games over Easter Weekend, Friday, Saturday, Monday.
image.png.310ad85d2ea68ea6164111bc932a985e.png

This was pretty much THE Eddie mac team of young treasures.
I'm sure Kenny Swain would have been 2nd striker /  RW as I don't think he moved to RB until after he joined Cloughie.
I presumed Mickey Droy was being rested given the rush of games, but I checked and they played almost the same team for all 3 games.  Promoted in 2nd place, so not much need for the giant that year.
Gary Locke was a monster at that time when the FB pushed the winger down the wing, best foot or not, and then outsprinted him to block the cross.
John Sparrow was a real talent, playing 8 games in the first division at 16, in the days when there was only 1 sub for emergencies.  But a broken leg meant his career never really went anywhere (I suspect modern surgery would have made a huge difference).

David Hay seems to be the one player rested, or perhaps he had lost his contact lenses.

9 hours ago, asvaberg said:

As a 90s kid that started watching football in 2000/2001, I look back at the football play of this era as purer, more human, more chaotic and free flowing, less robotic, less monotonised, less formulaic and less sterilised as what I watch today and have grown up watching. 

It might not be better quality or as technical, no sports science, the pitches may be all over the place, but it just looks more exciting to watch, more chaotic and random, and the crowds look more passionate and enthusiastic. 

What do you elders say? Am I creating a "Golden Era" in my head that didn't really exist? Or am I onto something. I'm not talking about the hooligan and health and safety element, obviously that has improved leaps and bounds. Just the football itself. 

Also on another point, the disrespect the FA Cup gets these days breaks my heart. I think I was lucky in that I got into football at the tail end of the classic romantic image of the FA Cup, just before the beginning of it being shaped into how it is viewed nowadays and it has stuck with me to this day. Indeed my Dad taking me to the 2000 FA Cup Final may have been what got me into football, even though I recall being bored and wanting to go home during the celebrations haha. But I was very proud to announce to my Arsenal and United supporting friends at Primary School, that Chelsea won something that hundreds of teams were in, not only 20. So we were obviously the true Champions of England. 

I feel kids growing up these days aren't going to quite feel the same as everything has been hyper focused to the PL and CL, hyper focused on corporate brands and corporate image, the FA Cup feels like it is treated as an afterthought by the teams and broadcasters alike. Almost like it's something people put up with rather than truly care about. 

10 hours ago, chara said:

Yep..but at 1-0 I said if City get one they will get four,,,not far off...once the second one went in it was all over...keep ball and attack when a chance different from having to chase a goal....but well done Cheltenham..played well and fought all the way...class tells once again even if a bit squeeky at one stage.

The Romance of T'Coop.... hope that's enough lower side heroics for the weekend!!

I managed to get money on City at 4/1 just before the first goal went in. As much as I wanted to see a dusting of the ‘magic of the cup’, it always looked like a cruel ending was coming for Cheltenham.