• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 3 Luton Town 1

46 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But what it isn't is a corner turned, or the start of a new triumphant period.
It wasn't a great performance.

Did anyone on here say that it was (any of those things)? Who are you arguing against?

Chrisb   
48 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

And least of all was it a damning indictment of anyone who didn't start today.
And quite a few seem to want to make it that.

I think you’re hoping people will go down that road so you can continue your narrative of trying to convince everyone that Jorginho and Rudiger should start every game.

9 minutes ago, Faramir said:

This is a prime example of how you repeat stuff to convince the rest of us it is true.

Mount has played for our Academy since he was 6 years old. He is an 'academy boy'.

Just because you repeat stuff again and again and again, does not make your point more valid than the first time you stated it.

So if we buy Rice, is he an Academy boy?

It isn't a question of me repeating to make a dubious point stronger.  It is repeating because people (like you) repeatedly fail to understand what I have said.

Seriously the issue I'm trying to make is that when a manager plays a proven Championship star who happened to have started off in our Academy, he is not making the same kind of decision as playing Gilmour who has not been through that process.

Players that go to the Championship, and have limited success, do not come back to Cobham, and do not get fresh chances in the first team.  Aina had some success at Hull, but the club decided that he is not the  future, so he moves on without bothering the managers.  Most of our Academy expected stars get filtered out the same way.  3 out of 4 have been filtered out recently, but 9 out of 10 in the
past.*
The tiny handful that come back to the first team after 1-3 years away are highly filtered.  Bertrand, Christensen, Abraham, Mount, Tomori and James.  RLC sort of.  But that is really it.  Dozens of young players get minutes or even games before they go through the great loan filter.  God knows why.  It doesn't seem to make the slightest difference.

Lampard "likes" proven pros.  There is no evidence to suggest that he likes new kids on the block like Gilmour particularly.  If he did then I am pretty sure that Gallacher and Guehi and Ampadu would be at Chelsea right now, and not on loan.

* It is because some of us watch what happens to the young players quite closely that we know just how this filtering process works.  It is because we want Gilmour to be a success that we want him out on loan asap.

https://www.givemesport.com/1311354-what-happened-to-the-37-players-chelsea-loaned-out-for-the-201718-campaign
37 players out on loan in 2017/18.
6 players bought for the first team or at least too old for Academy (ignore).  Rahman, Bats, Hector, Omeruo, van Ginkel, arguably Zouma
4 players with an actual or potential first team role  :Abraham, RLC, Mount, Tomori

27 Academy players who have fallen aside during the filtering process - the managers have not been asked to give them opportunities since their loans and many have moved on.

7 of the 27 filtered out, (from memory) Baker, Boga, Clarke-Salter, Kalas, Kenedy Musonda, Piazon, have featured for the first team at some point before their loans.
Mount didn't.  Tomori had 30 mins, Abraham 74.

I'm not making a difference between proven Championship stars and untried kids by just repeating it - it really is quite quite clear in practice.  It IS the way the club functions nowadays.  I'm repeating it for your benefit.

It was a good work out for us and after conceding two early goals they still managed to give us a game and we had to work hard for the third goal. Don’t think we were in any great danger at any point. Gilmour, Abraham, Ziyech, Werner played well I thought. Don’t know what that means when we come up against a side in the top half of the table. I think Frank is looking for solutions still. Wolves next...

4 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Did anyone on here say that it was (any of those things)? Who are you arguing against?

Yes.  Keep up MT

2 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

And least of all was it a damning indictment of anyone who didn't start today.
And quite a few seem to want to make it that.

I think you’re hoping people will go down that road so you can continue your narrative of trying to convince everyone that Jorginho and Rudiger should start every game.

Funny, I thought I was reacting to the narrative of others that this game proved they should never start again ever.

If we had a competent defensive midfielder the ideal scenario would be to loan Gilmour for 6-18 months and then he can return to compete for the no.6 or no.8 roles with Mount, Havertz, Gallagher, Kanté, Kovacic etc.

But given that most of our other midfielders have shown they are unsuitable for the no.4 role, Gilmour might be our best bet in the short term.

It's not the normal path for an academy kid to the first team, but these are exceptional times and he is an exceptional talent worthy of a run of games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  Keep up MT

Funny, I thought I was reacting to the narrative of others that this game proved they should never start again ever.

So, a 'damning indictment' apparently of anyone who didn't start this game. Seriously? 

10 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  Keep up MT

Actually, no. A straw man, I'm afraid.

4 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

So, a 'damning indictment' apparently of anyone who didn't start this game. Seriously? 

If you delete the not, you have to change the anyone to "some one or ones".
But go back and read the posts if you don't believe me.

Chrisb   
11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  Keep up MT

I’ve read the whole post match thread and nowhere does anybody say “it’s a corner turned” or “it was a great performance”.

Some posters strangely took some pleasure from their team winning and didn’t look to spin some negativity on it. How odd.