• Current Donation Goals

An excellent result for us tonight, opening up a potential route to the top 6 pending the games in hand of some of our rivals.

Faramir   
3 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

LOL. Just lost to BHA.

Yes. Brighton 1-0 Spurs. Nice result for us. This is a good time to go on a winning streak.

paulw66   
19 minutes ago, Ham said:

You're clearly not watching Spurs right now

People got duped by a couple of good spurs results. They are ordinary with two top forwards

Faramir   
1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

People got duped by a couple of good spurs results. They are ordinary with two top forwards

Not seeing much of those lately.  :)

Ham   
4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Absolutely. Stop the service to Son and they're done. The only difficulty will be breaking down the 8 at the back. 

Oh, and Alonso has to play. 

Edited by Ham

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Tbf, I think it was also partly due to circumstances, in that this season is a peculiar one and some people felt that it would play into Jose's hands/style. 

GURJ SS   
3 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I don't see the usefulness of comparing Jorginho with Kante. These are two top players with almost completely different qualities. You might as well be comparing Mikel and Gudjohnsen. 

Jorginho is very good at what he does. But compared to Kante, he is easily snuffed out of the game. We saw it under Sarri when a team would stick a very average midfielder on him and his game is over. Opponents have worked out that Jorginho needs time and space to hit his passes (his only weapon). So, if you deny him both, that's him gone. 

Kante can pass the ball even though many seem not to see it. But he is a distance from Jorginho in his passing abilities. He is a more all-round midfielder. Plus he can graft and adopt - between managers, between matches, and even within a match. For all his weaknesses, if I were a manager who was forced to choose between the two, it's a no brainer.

We should be happy that we have both, and we should look forward to the manager getting the most out of them. We have seen matches where Kante was unplayable, and we have witnessed those where Jorginho was untouchable. Bring back those days. 

It's not when in direct comparison, but it is when judging what the manager wants from his players. If the manager wants more of what we saw today then Kova and Jorge have made a brilliant case for a partnership in a double 6.

When an opposition uses an attacking player to mark someone that's one of the furthest away from their goal, then that player is clearly a top player. Now the next question is, is the team able to take advantage that Jorge has pulled the opposition's number 10 out of position? Under Sarri no they weren't able to, probably due to a lack of quality in the squad as a whole, we were literally a one man squad of Hazard at that time, the fact that we needed Jorge to initiate every attack even when marked means we were really struggling with creativity at that time; and we were. Now we have a different system and different players, I hope the opposition do mark Jorginho because it'll mean a gaping big hole through the middle of their team for the like of Mount, Pulisic, Ziyech and Havertz to exploit. Since Sarri Jorge hasn't been marked out of a game, whenever he has been poor so has everyone else; but he has become a player fans have got used to using as a scapegoat to not blame the manager. Today he played a ball out surrounding by opposition players than lead to a go, Tuchel put his faith in him rather than trying his best not to play him; hate to say it, but Lamps would drop him and and then bring him back when it backfired.

I think that's the key when debating about players, and it's who we would use. In a single 6 with two 8s - I'd use Jorge as the 6, Kova/Kante and Mount as 8s. In a double 6 playing counter attacking football it's Kante and Gilmour (in a game I'm not confident of winning). In a double 6 with possession based football it's Jorge and Kova. If we're going 4231 with attacking full backs it's Kante and Kova. If we're 352/343/361 like we're doing now, it's Jorge and Kova. I want my double 6 to play possession football and control a game through passing and moving, keeping the ball rolling, I like my single 6 ideally to sit as an anchor blocking the area in front of the backline, but Kante can't do single 6 because he ends up on the wrong side of the ball(not his fault, the lad is a natural ball winning centre mid who enjoys running, it would be like telling Jorge to play box to box, it's just not fair on the player and will be unnatural to them. If we want a single 6 then we need a Mascherano type of player more than a Kante. Kante has many benefits, but positionally he struggles to sit on his own.

Definitely happy to have Kante in the squad, gives us many options. My only concern is that Tuchel ends up doing what Lamps did which was not settle on 2 players. The reason is because when transitioning between defence and attack every team has a pattern of play, it's how the players learn where each other is going to be and what's needed to he done in a particular moment, tactics are most important in the middle of the pitch. Kante is clearly suited to the counterattack which is a transition of someone winning the ball and passing to someone who's able to run with it, Kante not only can win it but also run with it. We were a top club with a lot of expectations, and while counter attacking football is great when you don't mind giving possession to the opposition, it's not great when you want to chase a victory. We were spoiled with Cesc, we had a player who was able to play a 30 yard pass or a dink over the backline just as well as the other; crazy good player that we've missed since. If we want to control games then Jorge, Kova and Billy are probably our players who will be able to not only work in passing patterns to help bring the ball out through passing play but also be able to find the right players at the right time in space. Kante definitely has his uses, but I think he might be more useful chasing a team down by pressing, rather than breaking out of a 6 positions, it will leave gaps. I think he'd be useful off the bench or in games when we need more energy further up the pitch.

• Like 1

bONes   
17 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

It's not when in direct comparison, but it is when judging what the manager wants from his players. If the manager wants more of what we saw today then Kova and Jorge have made a brilliant case for a partnership in a double 6.

When an opposition uses an attacking player to mark someone that's one of the furthest away from their goal, then that player is clearly a top player. Now the next question is, is the team able to take advantage that Jorge has pulled the opposition's number 10 out of position? Under Sarri no they weren't able to, probably due to a lack of quality in the squad as a whole, we were literally a one man squad of Hazard at that time, the fact that we needed Jorge to initiate every attack even when marked means we were really struggling with creativity at that time; and we were. Now we have a different system and different players, I hope the opposition do mark Jorginho because it'll mean a gaping big hole through the middle of their team for the like of Mount, Pulisic, Ziyech and Havertz to exploit. Since Sarri Jorge hasn't been marked out of a game, whenever he has been poor so has everyone else; but he has become a player fans have got used to using as a scapegoat to not blame the manager. Today he played a ball out surrounding by opposition players than lead to a go, Tuchel put his faith in him rather than trying his best not to play him; hate to say it, but Lamps would drop him and and then bring him back when it backfired.

I think that's the key when debating about players, and it's who we would use. In a single 6 with two 8s - I'd use Jorge as the 6, Kova/Kante and Mount as 8s. In a double 6 playing counter attacking football it's Kante and Gilmour (in a game I'm not confident of winning). In a double 6 with possession based football it's Jorge and Kova. If we're going 4231 with attacking full backs it's Kante and Kova. If we're 352/343/361 like we're doing now, it's Jorge and Kova. I want my double 6 to play possession football and control a game through passing and moving, keeping the ball rolling, I like my single 6 ideally to sit as an anchor blocking the area in front of the backline, but Kante can't do single 6 because he ends up on the wrong side of the ball(not his fault, the lad is a natural ball winning centre mid who enjoys running, it would be like telling Jorge to play box to box, it's just not fair on the player and will be unnatural to them. If we want a single 6 then we need a Mascherano type of player more than a Kante. Kante has many benefits, but positionally he struggles to sit on his own.

Definitely happy to have Kante in the squad, gives us many options. My only concern is that Tuchel ends up doing what Lamps did which was not settle on 2 players. The reason is because when transitioning between defence and attack every team has a pattern of play, it's how the players learn where each other is going to be and what's needed to he done in a particular moment, tactics are most important in the middle of the pitch. Kante is clearly suited to the counterattack which is a transition of someone winning the ball and passing to someone who's able to run with it, Kante not only can win it but also run with it. We were a top club with a lot of expectations, and while counter attacking football is great when you don't mind giving possession to the opposition, it's not great when you want to chase a victory. We were spoiled with Cesc, we had a player who was able to play a 30 yard pass or a dink over the backline just as well as the other; crazy good player that we've missed since. If we want to control games then Jorge, Kova and Billy are probably our players who will be able to not only work in passing patterns to help bring the ball out through passing play but also be able to find the right players at the right time in space. Kante definitely has his uses, but I think he might be more useful chasing a team down by pressing, rather than breaking out of a 6 positions, it will leave gaps. I think he'd be useful off the bench or in games when we need more energy further up the pitch.

Wow. Yes.