• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Sheffield United 1 Chelsea 2

1 minute ago, chara said:

I passed comment on the other incident in an earlier post. Without reviewing it again my basic view was both players did the right thing at speed.....Werner tried to round the keeper and with his speed I THINK he would have got to the ball ...and the keeper did his best to block Werner...which as I mentioned no where near that level but it;s what I would have done.

Well that is what I thought until I looked at it again just now.  Now I think that if he goes around the keeper he has no chance of getting the ball as it goes pretty much straight towards the defender.  His first steps take him away from the ball.

chara   
5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well that is what I thought until I looked at it again just now.  Now I think that if he goes around the keeper he has no chance of getting the ball as it goes pretty much straight towards the defender.  His first steps take him away from the ball.

OK..I'll look again.....I don't think Werner cheated...it was all at speed and just part of the game....nothing premeditated.

chara   

Ok Droy..looked again and understand where you are coming from.......giving Werner the benefit of the doubt,,just..he is so fast I think he might have got there as the ball has not got a lot of pace....regardless I think it is a penalty....you can't take a player out off the ball in the area...I think your view of the incident might explain why the ref didn't call it straight away..he is the wrong side of the contact to see it properly and probably isn't looking to give Chelsea anything.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:46 PM, Michael Tucker said:

Been a pretty successful model though, wouldn't you say?

Has it? 

1 UCL and 5 league titles in 17 years or so. If judging on those numbers then yes.

However, City and Liverpool have far surpassed Chelsea from a sporting prespective at present. United have always been far ahead of us and look to be trending upwards again. 3 clubs who have maintained a certain degree of stability.

Never during the RA era have we been this far behind the competition IMO. The pendulum has swung massively over the last 3 years. 

There was a time when we would fire a manager and launch a league title the next year. Can you honestly say that's likely now?

Edited by Blue_In_Every_Way

8 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

However, City and Liverpool have far surpassed Chelsea from a sporting prespective at present. United have always been far ahead of us and look to be trending upwards again. 3 clubs who have maintained a certain degree of stability.

Well no.  City have had a much much greater budget for a dozen years now, they have 4 PLs, we have 3 + a CL.  
Liverpool have had a similar budget, 1 PL, 1 CL.
Man U have been bigger spenders than us, 2 PLs in a dozen years.  Since RA turned up 5 PLs and a CL - same as us.

None of them have surpassed us except in the very recent period:  Liverpool last 2 years, City 17/18 & 18/19.  

Certainly we were crap last year - been telling everyone that since late 2019.  But there is no reason to expect that poor form to continue.  (And Man U have been  worse).

16 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

There was a time when we would fire a manager and launch a league title the next year. Can you honestly say that's likely now?

Well it certainly seems to be happening now.  
But there is a huge difference between 2003-2010 when the club consistently freshened the team with new stars and was constantly the big spending club.  That has been City since about 2011 (maybe that all changed this year).  Since then we have been a yoyo club, one that takes the down swing, and rebuilds and saves the big bucks only for seasons where a big trophy is on the cards.  Like Liverpool.  Their upswing is over.  Our Downswing should have been over last year.

20 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Never during the RA era have we been this far behind the competition IMO. The pendulum has swung massively over the last 3 years.

2015/16.  The pendulum is very modern - it swings both ways.

3 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Has it? 

Without question. You should lay back and enjoy the ride instead of being so negative all the time. More enjoyable, and a lot less stress. Go on, give it a shot!

10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

You are missing the point.  No one is excusing Rudiger.  The question is WTF is Mendy doing where he ends up.

(Funny once again, that the more conventional I get, the more I get accused of being contrarian)

its because you're doing what you always do .

Ridiculing player X because you're plowing a lone furrow that player Y is better , in this case Mendy V Kepa .

Ham   
6 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Has it? 

1 UCL and 5 league titles in 17 years or so. If judging on those numbers then yes.

Blue in every way is very apt. You sound positively depressed. 

Never read such unfounded negativity, half of which is false or twisted to suit. 

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

its because you're doing what you always do .

Ridiculing player X because you're plowing a lone furrow that player Y is better , in this case Mendy V Kepa .

I think you should occasionally read my posts instead of imagining them.
In this thread alone I have said 4 or 5 times that there are pluses AND minuses to coming out quick, and equally pluses and minuses for staying on one's line.
I'm not having a go at Mendy, just pointing out what his style brings.

On 2/10/2021 at 4:37 AM, Ham said:

Blue in every way is very apt. You sound positively depressed. 

Never read such unfounded negativity, half of which is false or twisted to suit. 

Not depressed. Just looking for an explanation for the dismissal of a club legend and a former player most fans absolutely adore.

The only things twisted to suit are the numerous nonsensical rationalizations put forward by the club and certain people on here for dismissing him.