• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Newcastle United 0

JaneB   

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Newcastle United at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Monday, 15th February 2021 (Local UK time/date) (Live on Sky Sports)

Last night made this selection much easier for Tuchel, just doesn't need to change much from the last league game, assuming Werner will be fit.

I guess the main questions will be:

- James or CHO at RWB?
- Tammy or Giroud?
- Chilwell get another chance at LWB?

My guess is the answers will look something like this:

Mendy

Azpi - Christensen - Rudiger

CHO - Jorginho - Kovacic - Alonso

Mount - Werner

Tammy

Subs: Kepa, Zouma, Chilwell, James, Kante, Gilmour, Pulisic, Ziyech*, Giroud

*If Havertz is fit, I'd give him a place on the bench ahead of Ziyech based on Ziyech's performance last night.

It's another big game for us, especially as some of our rivals for the top 4 will have dropped points due to the other fixtures. We're back at The bridge, which is nice, but I never like our games against Newcastle, for some reason I feel like we always struggle, but I think we'll have too much for them, I think the team is starting to come together under Tuchel and he's close to having is preferred 11, with the odd tweaks where necessary depending on the opponent.

chelboy   

Newcastle are just going to sit in. This could be a frustrating one. I would go

Mendy

James    Rudiger    Chilwell

CHO             Kova        Gilmour          Alonso

Mount                   Werner

Tammy        

Overlapping CB’s is something I would like to see in this system. It could make us be less predictable in the final third.  I can understand Tuchel favours experience but I think some of the younger players deserve more of a chance. 

bert19   

Given how few chances we’re actually creating and how Newcastle are going to set up, do we actually need 3 CBs and 2 DMs? Can we not just play on the front foot and look to overload them, move them around and get at their goal from the off? 

I’d go 4-2-1-3. 
Mendy

Reece Zouma Rudiger Chilwell

Kante Kovacic 

Mount

CHO Tammy Werner 

16 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Given how few chances we’re actually creating and how Newcastle are going to set up, do we actually need 3 CBs and 2 DMs? Can we not just play on the front foot and look to overload them, move them around and get at their goal from the off? 

I’d go 4-2-1-3. 
Mendy

Kante Kovacic 

Mount

CHO Tammy Werner 

We could, but we won't.

In fairness, the formation we've been using isn't the reason we've had limited chances, it's the players executing it that are the problem. So many times if a player had picked the other pass or made the pass a second earlier, we'd have been in on goal - the decision making is what is letting us down at the moment, in my opinion, not the formation.

The 3421 we've been playing has meant the 'wing-backs' have mainly been playing as the widest attacking players who trackback, rather than full-backs who push forward, so the players are there to create the chance, we're just not doing it.

52 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Mendy

Tammy        

Looks to much like a team Frank would put out and we all be cursing at the end, due to game being drawn or lost  

Its a must win game and TT knows his teams spine for this season. 

chelboy   
26 minutes ago, bert19 said:

I’d go 4-2-1-3. 
Mendy

Kante Kovacic 

Mount

CHO Tammy Werner 

I agree ,I would rather see 433 but I doubt Tuchel will change it tbh. I don’t think the 3cb is needed for this game. If he wasn’t willing to start 433 against Barnsley then I can’t see him starting it with this one. 

4 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Looks to much like a team Frank would put out and we all be cursing at the end, due to game being drawn or lost  

Its a must win game and TT knows his teams spine for this season. 

I don’t think he knows his spine just after 5 games. He’s picking the most experienced which I could understand especially as we approach the run-in but some other players could offer better options in this team. The first eleven we are seeing now might not be the same at the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, chelboy said:

Mendy

Tammy        

Overlapping CB’s is something I would like to see in this system. It could make us be less predictable in the final third.  I can understand Tuchel favours experience but I think some of the younger players deserve more of a chance. 

Interesting use of James and Chilwell.  I agree that either could be used in an Azpi L/RCB role.  Both would be bold.
I doubt Gilmour will start a PL or CL game again until he has spent at least a year out on loan (which is as it should be).
We'll have a year or two of moaning about the manager for not picking him (like CHO or RLC) only to discover that he should have been sent out on loan in the first place, while watching players like Gallacher, Ampadu and Guehi returning from successful loans and being way ahead in the pecking order.

Kovacic - whatever it is that people see from the TV gantries about him, it is a shame he can't see so well when he has his head over the ball.

The comments about formation are interesting. If CHO plays "RWB" are we not basically playing 433 or perhaps something even more attacking anyway? Formations are fluid - perhaps more so under Tuchel than almost anyone else bar Pep. 

The way I see it, with the ball we look like this anyway and even then Azpi in particular likes to creep forward and curl little crosses in like he did in the Conte days. Seems pretty attacking to me?

Mendy

Azpi - Christensen - Rudiger

Kovacic - Jorginho

Mount

CHO - Abraham - Werner - Alonso

FWIW I think that's the team I'd pick. Tempted to play Pulisic instead of Werner as I can't imagine there will be little space in behind and Pulisic is always likely to make something happening with his ability to beat a man... but you can't leave Timo out after the positive contributions last time out.