• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Southampton 1 Chelsea 1

23 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

What a massive waste this is, we had to win this, with the run of games we now have, this was a simply must win.

We've made it even harder for ourselves to get top 4 now.

Top 4 has been an unlikely long shot (imo pretty much impossible) since December. This result doesn't really make any difference to that. I don't know why teams who have been up and down all season being in an entirely predictable, likely short-lived "down" patch excited us that much.

There are things I'm seeing from us under Tuchel I like and suggest real differences on the training ground, but I don't think we'll see any real benefits in performances or results for a while. We are setting up as if damage limitation, not top 4, is the aim. Perhaps it is.

Edited by thevelourfog

Ham   

Kante shouldn't have been anywhere near this one.  Kovacic is far better alongside Jorginho. Kante constantly losing possession has others on edge.

The threat of Kovacic is lost when Kante is running around like a headless chicken in front of and behind him.  He has zero positional restraint.

I know I've been one of Jorginho's biggest critics buy the recent partnership has had a nice balance.  That was totally lost today.

Also, our final ball is absolutely awful.  Just dreadful. 

Faramir   
10 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Tuchel looked frustrated but he hasn't done the players on the pitch any favours. In his early games we had 5 back behind the ball and 5 forward in front of the ball, slowly over time that's gone from a Back/Foward ratio of 5/5, to 6/4, with today's game being 7/3.

We've lost 3 points because of going so defensive, the thing is we can control possession and harass the opposition with pressing and so on, and push a team right back, but if the right players aren't on the ball then nothing will come of it.

The question is, if Tuchel is being this negative against Southampton then is this the sign of things to come against stronger teams than them? Because we'll continue to have the same issues.

I think his mistake today was he had one eye on Atletico. He should of kept Christensen instead of Zouma, kept Jorghino in the middle with Kovacic, and had CHO as wing-back instead of James from the start.

Gurj... you called the lack of attacking potential in the team when the line-ups were announced... you were right.

Edit: The other change was probably starting Giroud considering Abraham's injury last week.

Edited by Faramir

paulw66   

Werner as a no9 in this sort of game is pointless. He's not a back to goal striker, and when the oppo isn't moving out of their half, he needs to play wide.

Game was crying out for Giroud

7 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Very true, selection was the main issue here, just seemed like Tuchel gave Southampton's manager far too much respect.

True but teams we have played recently have also shown us far to much respect.

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Top 4 has been an unlikely long shot (imo pretty much impossible) since December. This result doesn't really make any difference to that. I don't know why teams who have been up and down all season being in an entirely predictable, likely short-lived "down" patch excited us that much.

There are things I'm seeing from us under Tuchel I like and suggest real differences on the training ground, but I don't think we'll see any real benefits in performances or results for a while. We are setting up as if damage limitation, not top 4, is the aim. Perhaps it is.

He has organised us that is pretty much what he has done. Up until today that has been fine but we needed a little more attacking impetus but had none.

What was that about? Abraham should never have started. Zouma, Rudiger were leaden. Reece James and Alonso were sloppy. Kovacic had an off day. Werner went missing. Kante was one of our better players and he kept on giving the ball away. Only Mount showed flashes of creativity. As a team performance that was dire. The forward play was shocking. I’d be tempted just to play Giroud in future. I wouldn’t let Abraham near our forward line and Hudson Odoi always instead of Reece James who did nothing of note other than lazily sky our best chance into the stand. 

Faramir   
1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Werner as a no9 in this sort of game is pointless. He's not a back to goal striker, and when the oppo isn't moving out of their half, he needs to play wide.

Game was crying out for Giroud

Agreed!

I hope that the good thing that comes from a game like this is it highlights the many weaknesses/flaws that many of our players have, and these will become more apparent to Tuchel, as he has seen it 'first hand' and experienced it.

This will be an interesting post match interview. He comes across as very honest.

paulw66   

Several things, an apologies for covering the same ground:

Against a team who are going to be very defensive, a back 3 requires at least one of the wing backs to be a winger, not 2 full backs. CHO on one side then allows you to play an extra attacker. 5 defenders, plus Kante and Kova, means you are lining up with only 3 goal scorers from open play.

Werner has to play wide, off a striker against these teams. Different if you are away at City etc when you might get space in behind. 

Zouma is a clumsy oaf. 3 corners he conceded that could have been throw ins. 

Kante plus Kova / Jorginho is inferior to Kova and Jorginho in these type of games. Different story against better teams, perhaps. 

Referee.........well he gave us a penalty but 3 minutes injury time when there were 6 subs, and Djenepo was down for 2 minutes. Incredible. 

Blue Rod   
7 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Tuchel looked frustrated but he hasn't done the players on the pitch any favours. In his early games we had 5 back behind the ball and 5 forward in front of the ball, slowly over time that's gone from a Back/Foward ratio of 5/5, to 6/4, with today's game being 7/3.

We've lost 3 points because of going so defensive, the thing is we can control possession and harass the opposition with pressing and so on, and push a team right back, but if the right players aren't on the ball then nothing will come of it.

The question is, if Tuchel is being this negative against Southampton then is this the sign of things to come against stronger teams than them? Because we'll continue to have the same issues.

We played with 2 wingbacks who had barely any defending to do until much later in the match. Then we had Werner, Mount, CHO/Abraham. That is 5 players in our attacking line--up. Southampton scored by stringing two passes together. I am not sure that you need 11 attackers to win a match. 

We didn't just stick one player upfront and go behind the ball. We played most of the match in Southampton's half. It's easy to say that  Jorginho would have won us the match. I am not sure on what basis. He has done okay since TT came, but has not really created anything remarkable. 

Our attacking is disorganised. I don't think another attacker in the line-up would have made much difference. CHO is the one player who has been creative since TT came. But even he did not look great today.