• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Southampton 1 Chelsea 1

GURJ SS   
38 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I concede that Kante is not a good passer of the ball, and Kovacic may also lack some of the passing ability of Jorginho. But I must also say that I must be missing a lot of things about Jorginho. He must have had a role in one goal since TT came, maybe two, but I can't think of more.  He hit a lot of passes in the season under Sarri. But these were recycling passes. Because despite his high passing stats under Sarri, his goal assists stats were pretty low. This season his offensive passing is not that brilliant. In fact, he is as likely to pass it sideways and backwards as Kante and Kovacic. Don't get me wrong; Jorginho is a capable midfielder. But I think we may just be creating a myth here that we can roll out each time we play poorly without him. 

What Jorginho has over Kante and Kovacic is he knows when to take a touch or make it a first time pass every time the ball is coming his way, he knows when he can receive the ball on the half turn and when he can't, but most of all he knows where everyone is. Kante tends to pass the ball to a player in the direction he's originally facing unless he has a lot of room, Kova if moving another way has to dribble away, Jorginho has a quick glance and opens his body up; what then seems like a backwards or sideways pass is actually moving the ball to the other side of the pitch either through a direct pass or using a teammate, making the opposition have to shift across, what it also does is allow his teammates to spread out and receive the ball and also get their head up for an early pass forwards. One of the things I like the most about him, when his teammates have no way out he'll show himself, it's up to then his teammate to be brave enough to make the pass, but what he won't do is hide behind a player, which I see not from just out central mids but many more 'top class' mids in the league. I think that's why Pep wanted him, because he'll show and keep the flow going, in the games we've flowed best in we've looked great bringing the ball out of defence.

Then it's positioning, Jorginho will drop Central and sometimes only 5 yards in front of the centre back, but what it does is allow an overlap from Azpi. Kante is very right side bias in his movements on the pitch, so today he was bringing opposition players out wide and Azpi couldn't get out, James had to drop deep and ended up receiving the ball facing his own goals too often. If Jorginho was playing, Minamino would have dropped in to go with him and Azpi would have gone on the outside after receiving the ball off Zouma. This would have lead to Mount and James overloading the right wing with Dave supporting, instead it ended up with the opposition already having players there because Kante refused to move from a right side bias role of RCM.

Kante as an individual has many attributes that are useful, but his decision making and positioning in a possession based team is what lets him down. He'd flourish in a counterattacking set up. If I was Tuchel I'd have played Christensen, Jorginho and CHO today instead of Zouma, Kante and James. Then midweek used Zouma, Kante and James, with Kante in front of Kovacic and Jorginho; in the hope of defending and nicking one on the break. Surely he wasn't thinking of rotating for today's game to then go toe to toe with A.Madrid? The team today was setup more for a counter attack against the likes of A.Madrid than they were for Southampton. We are however strong enough to beat Southampton but went way too negative with the team selection.

Of course there's players out there that could probably do a better job for us than Jorginho, but they are your Verrati or Gundogen type of players, not a Kante or Nditi type of player.

Just now, Martin1905 said:

Really can't be bothered to read the thread so apologies if its already been said and I will try to keep it short.

We were ****.

Surprised it took you so long. 

Its the opposite to pony. TT is trying to undo the sarri and Franks madness of trying to re-educate senior players who are more akin to a Conte style of play. 

Three at the back and keeping the teams core with experience players is the best chance of TT keeping his job by delivering a top four position. 

If TT stays next season is the time to have a gripe  

JaneB   
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

How many chances did we create for our strikers ?

We lined up with 7 outfield players who are unlikely to score from open play against a team who have lost 6 straight games 

Ok, well you know far more about these things than I do.  I'm out of my depth a lot of the time but I still think I have a point.

Turning to the defence,  apart from Silva there is no class there.  The one who once did have it is in decline.

Cech, Cole, Lord Percy, JT, All Bran, Paulo, Gallas......jeez

And I'm not sure TT should be criticising CHO in public.  Doesn't really work.

1 minute ago, JaneB said:

Ok, well you know far more about these things than I do.  I'm out of my depth a lot of the time but I still think I have a point.

Turning to the defence,  apart from Silva there is no class there.  The one who once did have it is in decline.

Cech, Cole, Lord Percy, JT, All Bran, Paulo, Gallas......jeez

We have to be realistic sometimes about who we are and where we are .

If the players we have were good every week they wouldn't be playing for 2021's Chelsea.

We've got the players who are good one in four and ok two in four and meh for the fourth.

Read that list of defenders and weep . We've got Rudiger who was horrible today bar five mins in the second half and Zouma . Jesus .

4 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Its the opposite to pony. TT is trying to undo the sarri and Franks madness of trying to re-educate senior players who are more akin to a Conte style of play. 

Three at the back and keeping the teams core with experience players is the best chance of TT keeping his job by delivering a top four position. 

Maybe you have me confused with someone else, I have had nothing but praise for Tuchel and have not one gripe. But, today, we were ****.

4 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Maybe you have me confused with someone else, I have had nothing but praise for Tuchel and have not one gripe. But, today, we were ****.

Holymoly   

Droy's heat map was damning. It seems to show a team that was content to pass it around but lacked anyone with the guts to force their way into the box to attempt to score. What with that and the pulling of CHO I hope it doesn't indicate TT instilling  an ethos of retain the ball at all costs, and if you lose it you're out.. Fear is not a great motivation to score goals.

10 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Maybe. I apologise 

The man took the job with a clearly defined set of deliverables, which IMO he will achieve. 

Is TY anything more than another interim. The jury is out on that one.  

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Droy's heat map was damning.

It would be better to compare it against TT previous five game to see if it was a bad day at the office or something more seriously.