• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Southampton 1 Chelsea 1

Blue Rod   
29 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Not at all, we all have opinions.

I just think we don't create enough chances for our strikers, whoever they are 

That's true. But in the modern football, there is no such thing as a dedicated striker. Any forward is as much a creator of goal as he is a striker. Today, we had half our entire outfield team in attacking role one way or the other.  2 WBs and 3 forwards. They are there to create goals. If not, then what?

Werner, Mount, James, Alonso, CHO, Tammy, all took it in turn to misplace easy passes today. I can't remember many times when the forwards picked each other out with a meaningful pass. It was either overhit or slammed into the nearest defender, or underhit. I don't know how much the forwards have trained to play togerher. It just didn't show today. 

There was one telling moment when Mount had the ball with Werner to his left. It was an easy early pass to release Werner all day long  Instead Mount took another touch and drew a foul. You can take issue with Werner's position or with Mount's awareness. But neither had anything whatsoever to do with our midfield.

chelboy   
2 hours ago, Ham said:

1) Threat as in he's been the most likely to get the ball beyond the oppo midfield and into a dangerous area. The fact that we didn't score more from the chances he's created says more about our attackers than him. 

2) Agreed and sort of makes my point. After watching Kova recently and especially the last game, Kante should have been used in a deeper area, giving Kovacic freedom to go forward but instead he was literally running around all over the pitch with no discipline. 

As a barrier to break down attacks or win back possession he's brilliant but he's as frustrating as they come at almost everything else.

Yeah I would have had Kante slightly back but I’m not sure it would have made much of a difference. The midfielders we have don’t seem to focus on giving our forwards chances. They just focus on moving the ball around and passing the buck. Since Tuchel came in, CHO, Werner and Mount have taken on most of the responsibility of trying to do something with the ball. That’s my main issue with Kova, Kante and Jorg in general. It’s like they expect someone else to do that side of the game. City’s midfielders create for their forwards. We have our forwards creating for themselves. 

Chrisb   
1 hour ago, bert19 said:

Patience is one thing, but he can’t make excuses for performances like today.
Fair enough we didn’t play well, but it’s the same system again, yielding the same lack of creativity and attacking intent. It’s obvious we need to change things in order to improve.

He clearly wasn’t happy that we didn’t push on for more goals on Monday night, but then started with the same system today. I wonder did we really need to start 5 defenders and two non-creative CMs against a Southampton side that have struggled so much of late (or against Newcastle)?
Could we have started Mount at CM and included Ziyech or CHO from the start to give more forward impetus and another creative outlet? And if not that, why did Jorginho come on and not Giroud? It didn’t exactly indicate a manager showing intent to win the game, leaving a good striker on the bench and bringing on a DM.

I’ll be honest, I’m not seeing it with Tuchel. We’ve had a series of narrow wins against largely poor opposition, not shown much ambition in terms of attacking and scoring goals and from what I’ve seen, the football has been pretty turgid. Fair enough we’ve won games, but surely we need to improve way beyond the “Job done” or “that’ll do” level of performance by now?

I got criticised by a few on here last week for being firm in my opinion that we should be doing more and playing more assertively & aggressively to win games against poor sides like Sheff Utd by bigger margins. The way we’ve been playing got found out today as we conceded first and did nothing at all to score after Mount’s penalty (3 shots on target total, 2 were before ht). Goals and convincing wins bring confidence,  not scraping 1-0s after poor performances against teams like Barnsley.

We’ve got a series of tough games against good teams coming up. I feel we’re going to have a rough time if we’re going to play like we have been as good sides will further restrict the few chances we make and will attack with a lot more.

I’m fearful Atletico could be a nasty reality check. I hope I’m wrong and surprised by the Chelsea I see over the coming weeks, but I can’t say I feel confident really. 

I’m with you on this. For all our possession and passing we create nothing and never really look threatening. I’m pretty sure he’s going to go defensive again against Atletico and, to be fair, if he doesn’t I reckon we’ll get well and truly spanked. 
Still disgusted with his treatment of CHO today too. 

paulw66   
19 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

Give over. 

JaneB   
1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

It’s coming. Someone is going to on the end of a huge rogering 

Must you?

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, chelboy said:

City’s midfielders create for their forwards. We have our forwards creating for themselves. 

Thats not always true, is it? A lot of the final balls for City is from forward to forward - Sterling to Gundogan, Mahrez to Sterling, Forden to Mahrez, etc. 

Edited by Blue Rod

chelboy   
3 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Thats not always true, is it? A lot of the final balls for City is from forward to forward - Sterling to Gundogan, Mahrez to Sterling, Forden to Mahrez, etc. 

Yeah it can be forward to forwards at times but at least they have that threat of it being midfield to forwards. Our midfield doesn’t have that same threat. In general our midfield doesn’t take that responsibility. Sometimes they may feel like looking for their attackers but it’s not a regular thing. This midfield needs to focus heavily on getting strikers on the end of their passes. I don’t think they see it as their responsibility which is my main point. They just rather move the ball around without much purpose. It shouldn’t just be Werner CHO and Mount moving the ball with purpose.  There’s many times when the midfield choose a sideways  5 yard pass when the strikers are making a run. It’s very frustrating being a striker in this team at the moment. 

Blue Rod   
3 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Yeah it can be forward to forwards at times but at least they have that threat of it being midfield to forwards. Our midfield doesn’t have that same threat. In general our midfield doesn’t take that responsibility. Sometimes they may feel like looking for their attackers but it’s not a regular thing. This midfield needs to focus heavily on getting strikers on the end of their passes. I don’t think they see it as their responsibility which is my main point. They just rather move the ball around without much purpose. It shouldn’t just be Werner CHO and Mount moving the ball with purpose.  There’s many times when the midfield choose a sideways  5 yard pass when the strikers are making a run. It’s very frustrating being a striker in this team at the moment. 

Werner got into the box several times today. In one instance, his pass didn't get close to any Chelsea player. In another, he ignored everyone and went for a shot, hitting the side netting. I could give similar examples from our other forwards. If a City forward has a similar ball, 8 out of 10 times he picks out another forward.  

Of course our midfield can do better, as could our defence. But people seem to be ignoring how completely useless our forwards are even when they have a good ball from the midfield.  

Rob B   
1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

I’m with you on this. For all our possession and passing we create nothing and never really look threatening. I’m pretty sure he’s going to go defensive again against Atletico and, to be fair, if he doesn’t I reckon we’ll get well and truly spanked. 

I’m not sure he can get anymore defensive can he!?? 

And I wouldn’t have a problem with him hooking CHO in isolation normally, but even a half-arsed Hudson-Odoi is more effective & threatening than Werner or Alonso??  Subbing Tammy and CHO when we needed goals was madness, but then coming out and slating the latter in the media when he could have batted it away is seriously playing with fire. 

11 minutes ago, Rob B said:

And I wouldn’t have a problem with him hooking CHO in isolation normally, but even a half-arsed Hudson-Odoi is more effective & threatening than Werner or Alonso??

Not based on what he gave the team in this game. Which was very little. Imo, he looked disinterested.

11 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Subbing Tammy and CHO when we needed goals was madness,

According to what I've read, Tammy was injured and wanted to come off. As for CHO: see above.

And he certainly didn't 'slate' CHO in the media. He simply answered a direct question, honestly. Shame on him!