• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Southampton 1 Chelsea 1

Bison   

Interesting quote from Wenger after the game:

Wenger: “What’s a bit worrying for Chelsea is they were not at their best today, which happens in this league, but you don’t feel a huge potential in there, not on the tactical side nor on the physical side nor on the aggressive side nor on the organisational side."

Tactics / organisation have looked better with Tuchel however things were so bad under Lampard it hasn't taken much to improve in those areas.

I feel Wenger is right in that there really isn't much potential to do much more, certainly not enough to seriously compete for major trophies.

The squad we have built is 1) capable of competing for 4th and 2) having a cup run...and that's about it.

Faramir   

West Ham beat Spurs 2-1. In a Champions League place with 25 games played. Impressive!

Sky:    José Mourinho has lost 15 of his first 50 league games in charge of Spurs, more than twice as many defeats as in first 50 league games in any other managerial stint with another side.

Edited by Faramir

bert19   
57 minutes ago, Ham said:

Kane just got a free kick for an identical challenge from behind that Tammy had v Newcastle. Actually it was a lot less dangerous. Commentary team agreed that these types of challenge are fouls. 

Odd. 

The rules that refs seem to be implementing of late suggest that fouls deemed worthy of penalising in the penalty areas need to be different types of fouls to anywhere else on the pitch.  It’s pretty ridiculous and of course complete nonsense. My instinct is that they’re literally making it up as they go, ref to ref, match to match. 

How Salah gets a pen for the contact he got against Man City, but Bogle doesn’t for beating the keeper to the ball and then being tackled at knee height last night is beyond me. It’s obvious some sides and players (Kane, Salah, literally anyone in a Man Utd kit) are being favoured and others for whatever reason, will get nothing from officials.  
If it carries on, I wonder which owner is going to crack first and make noise about legal action?

JaneB   
21 minutes ago, Faramir said:

Last two sentences political. You should edit.

Done it for him :-(

Faramir   
Just now, JaneB said:

Done it for him :-(

Thanks for cleaning up mine too.  *waves*

JaneB   
2 hours ago, Worsebytheday said:

More importantly we have only scored 8 goals in TT 6 games, 3 of them were penalties, pretty poor.

we need to get some width on the pitch, and who apart from CHO have we got who take on players, Pulisic was fantastic last season but has been a shadow of the player (when he's played) this season.

TT is hoping to sign Haaland and Sancho, but is prepared to sacrifice ODI, I think we should try for Grealish, far and away the best player who can take on the opposition defenders

Pity he's an idiot the rest of the time.

Jasonb   
29 minutes ago, Bison said:

Interesting quote from Wenger after the game:

Tactics / organisation have looked better with Tuchel however things were so bad under Lampard it hasn't taken much to improve in those areas.

I feel Wenger is right in that there really isn't much potential to do much more, certainly not enough to seriously compete for major trophies.

The squad we have built is 1) capable of competing for 4th and 2) having a cup run...and that's about it.

He is right currently we have very few game changers.

Rob B   
3 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I’m not sure.  I think it’s probably more a case of a lot of players out of form, injuries and too many defensive players in the starting 11.  You can’t tell me that a team like this wouldn’t create more chances than what we’ve seen in the last few weeks for example...

DEF  DEF  DEF 

CHO.   CM .  CM.      Pulisic

Mount.  Havertz 

STR

I’m not saying you’d set up against Athletico or Liverpool like that, but there’s no reason why you couldn’t against certain teams in the PL.   I don’t think we have the right balance with James AND Alonso wide.  It’s 8 defensive players out of 11. 

7 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I think Wenger's description is accurate about where we are now.
But to say Abraham, Pulisic, Werner, Mount, Havertz, CHO, Ziyech, Giroud are not gamechangers is wrong.  We have terrific front line options.  And most have done it very impressively at previous clubs.  

The issue is to get the team working together while maintaining balance.  That might take half a season.

13 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Pity he's an idiot the rest of the time.

I reckon a good season and a few more England caps could finish Grealish as a player.  He isn't going to keep getting all those fouls given if he becomes a famous player.  Well not unless he joins Liverpool.

Jasonb   
3 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I’m not sure.  I think it’s probably more a case of a lot of players out of form, injuries and too many defensive players in the starting 11.  You can’t tell me that a team like this wouldn’t create more chances than what we’ve seen in the last few weeks for example...

DEF  DEF  DEF 

CHO.   CM .  CM.      Pulisic

Mount.  Havertz 

STR

I’m not saying you’d set up against Athletico or Liverpool like that, but there’s no reason why you couldn’t against certain teams in the PL.   I don’t think we have the right balance with James AND Alonso wide.  It’s 8 defensive players out of 11. 

I agree on Mount, Pulisic has not been playing much and Wenger would not have seen him yesterday which also applies to Havertz.

CHO is mercurial at best and not dependable though he may develop more under Tuchel.

Two players that might have been game changers are Barkley and RLC yet both have injuries limiting their ability to sprint too much which is why we were happy to loan them.