• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Southampton 1 Chelsea 1

Recommended Posts

Blue Rod   
On 21/02/2021 at 2:34 PM, Jasonb said:

He is right currently we have very few game changers.

 

In other words, we didn't shop particularly well last summer, according to Wenger. At least I won't be the only person to have their head bitten off for suggesting this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
9 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Exactly this. If CHO sulks after this he can only blame himself. Tuchel has clearly showed that he wants to give him a proper go and has done so since he came in for Lamps. 

Sarri, Lampard and now Tuchel have all questioned CHOs attitude. Somehow I think the problem is with him and not with the three managers. 

Don't we love it; when a manager loses it and blames it on one player? Somehow it always happens to be the less senior player that gets it. And it always happens when the entire team is not playing well. 

I am surprised by how many people have fallen for this. We have played every match the same under TT. He knew he was going to face questions about his tactics, so he created a diversion, and it worked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Don't we love it; when a manager loses it and blames it on one player? Somehow it always happens to be the less senior player that gets it. And it always happens when the entire team is not playing well. 

I am surprised by how many people have fallen for this. We have played every match the same under TT. He knew he was going to face questions about his tactics, so he created a diversion, and it worked. 

Can you tell us please Rod , who you'd like to manage the club as from memory you've had a beef with the last six managers in someway or other ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   

Funny..I remember a long ago game when the LB and I in goal were about all that stood between a hammering and an , ultimately, "softened" defeat....however fannying about we gave up a silly goal between us. In the dressing room after the game our captain absolutely blasted the two of us and had the dressing room in complete silence

Later one of the other guys commented on the affect it had on everyone else as the LB and I were the only players on our team to perform well and made them all consider their own contribution or lack of it.... just a thought re CHO...... not an ego story .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Can you tell us please Rod , who you'd like to manage the club as from memory you've had a beef with the last six managers in someway or other ?

I don't have a beef with TT. I have no idea where you get that from. I think he is a very capable manager. I look forward to when he can get the team playing well. Every manager needs time to settle. We are talking about a particular incident that he mishandled in my opinion. Whether he is the best manager on planet earth is completely irrelevant. People are not 100% good or bad.

I deal with junior staff in my work, probably a larger team than our Chelsea squad (not millionaires of course) I cannot think of any circumstances in which what TT did would make any sense. I would probably get a disciplinary if I did that. I reserve every right to be wrong in this. But having a beef? 

Edited by Blue Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faramir   
13 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I don't have a beef with TT. I have no idea where you get that from. I think he is a very capable manager. I look forward to when he can get the team playing well. Every manager needs time to settle. We are talking about a particular incident that he mishandled in my opinion. Whether he is the best manager on planet earth is completely irrelevant. People are not 100% good or bad.

I deal with junior staff in my work, probably a larger team than our Chelsea squad (not millionaires of course) I cannot think of any circumstances in which what TT did would make any sense. I would probably get a disciplinary if I did that. I reserve every right to be wrong in this. But having a beef? 

Yes... but you don't get interviewed by the media twice a week asking for comments on your staffs job performances, and mandated to meet with said media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   

I was taught as a manager to "praise in public, reprimand in private", but it depends on how it is done. If you approached it as a kind of collective discussion from the perspective of trying to help the unit achieve better and, at the same time, use a combination of praise and disappointment of the individual, it might work. At the end of the process, you have to motivate the team to do better and give the individual the sense that the disappointment arises because you know he can and will do better. Nothing worse than coming out of such a meeting with the sense that opportunities are going to be limited in future. I still prefer the other approach though. I think it is easier to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I was taught as a manager to "praise in public, reprimand in private", but it depends on how it is done. If you approached it as a kind of collective discussion from the perspective of trying to help the unit achieve better and, at the same time, use a combination of praise and disappointment of the individual, it might work. At the end of the process, you have to motivate the team to do better and give the individual the sense that the disappointment arises because you know he can and will do better. Nothing worse than coming out of such a meeting with the sense that opportunities are going to be limited in future. I still prefer the other approach though. I think it is easier to do.

Fair enough, but once a player has been pulled off after 30 min as sub, it is already out there.
You either confirm what is already established, or you start to invent white lies.  
"CHO picked up a  bit of a knock and is doubtful for Tuesday"  vs "I wasn't happy but he is still a candidate for Tuesday".

CHO has had 19 PL starts, 4 of them in the last month under TT.  I'm pretty sure that is a lot more important to him than praise - he has had 4 years of praise from Chelsea managers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Faramir said:

Yes... but you don't get interviewed by the media twice a week asking for comments on your staffs job performances, and mandated to meet with said media.

Yes, the media!. I didn't get the £50k media training course that football managers get. What I did get was the advice that, when in front of the media, it's only you who decides what to say.

I've seen people use even more compelling excuses at employment tribunal, and it didn't wash. For the employer, it is about how you get the best out of your employee. For the employee, and in industrial dispute, it's about whether you took every measure to avoid harm.

CHO might play better, and he has played better. (In fact, his performance against S'ton was an exemption by recent standards) But it would not be because of this incident. I actually thought that all our players without any exemption showed poor attitude in that match. The idea that you then single out a young player for public criticism because you want him to improve (apparently not the others) seems bizarre. 

Edited by Blue Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Fair enough, but once a player has been pulled off after 30 min as sub, it is already out there.
You either confirm what is already established, or you start to invent white lies.  
"CHO picked up a  bit of a knock and is doubtful for Tuesday"  vs "I wasn't happy but he is still a candidate for Tuesday".

CHO has had 19 PL starts, 4 of them in the last month under TT.  I'm pretty sure that is a lot more important to him than praise - he has had 4 years of praise from Chelsea managers.  

Strange world, isn't it. If TT was telling it like it is, it would be a collector's item from any football  manager at a post-match interview.  Managers spend a fortune training on how to avoid spilling the truth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.