• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Southampton 1 Chelsea 1

7 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

That has nothing to do with his goal record. 

No, but it did/does indicate that people shouldn't be looking at him as a CF which was my principal point. When he came I was expecting something in the region of 15 goals, 10-15 assits for the season. It looks like he will not reach that but I am happy to give him a season all things considered. Further, when viewing him as a LWF/SS instead of a CF then his positive attributes of his work rate and movement off the ball should be held up more than simply looking at raw goal statistics.

2 hours ago, bONes said:

He was second best finished in Barca after Messi. Also clinical with us. He was a clinical finisher, period.

Agreed re: LWF, SS.

12 minutes ago, Faramir said:

In his Barca career more so, but with us, even though he scored some sweet goals, and a great striker of the ball, he missed a lot of chances, and often made a poor choice in the final third.

Thanks Faramir. You said what I was going to say. 

6 minutes ago, Bison said:

Mendy, Alonso, Rudiger, Zouma, Azpilicueta, James, Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Abraham, Werner

Subs: Arrizabalaga, Christensen, Jorginho, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi, Chilwell, Ziyech, Gilmour, Emerson

Strong team, surprised to see Kova playing as I suspected he may be rested for AM/Utd. Also thought CHO may keep the RWF role for this game and Chilwell would get some minutes at LWF. Interested to see AC dropped and if that means he he is being rested or not. 

Good to see Tammy's injury wasn't serious. 

Faramir   
4 minutes ago, Bison said:

Mendy, Alonso, Rudiger, Zouma, Azpilicueta, James, Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Abraham, Werner

Subs: Arrizabalaga, Christensen, Jorginho, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi, Chilwell, Ziyech, Gilmour, Emerson

Zouma is back in the team.

I would think Rudiger will play in the middle and Zouma to the left.

I hope Kante is disciplined in the middle and we don't leave gaps.

Abraham fit enough to start.

I think CHO will start against Atletico.

31 minutes ago, Bison said:

image.png.712c75be7f6b3a443e46ea8aba34000d.png

So does Kante Jorginho or Kovacic get dropped when we play AM?  Wait and see I guess.
I would expect a lot of possession, and if Kova is marked he'll be head down dribbling half the game in no particular direction and for no particular cause.
That puts a lot of pressure on Rudiger and Azpi to actually use the ball.

If we score early and can sit, that is fine.  Otherwise it could be a long wait for Jorginho to come on.

Mount Werner and Abraham - is precisely what I would expect for AM.  So I am a little surprised they are all playing today.  On the other hand all three look like they want to play 65 games a season and at least 2 games every week so maybe they are already pencilled in for AM now.  In which case I'm pleased TT has a first choice team worked out, and he won't have any trouble from Pulisic, Giroud, Havertz, and Ziyech until we have a run of bad results.

AM - 12.30 is AM as far as I am concerned.  Far too early.

Edited by Droy was my hero

paulw66   
13 hours ago, bONes said:

Pedro was a clinical finisher

Yes. Pass the ball into the corner.

11 hours ago, King Kante said:

I wouldn't class Pedro as a clinical finisher but I guess it depends on what you bar is. That said, I agree that Werner isn't currently finishing as well as Pedro could. However, my point was more that people shouldn't be looking at Werner as a CF but rather a LWF/SS/False 9. 

Pedro was the best finisher at the club for a while. Shame we didn't get him a touch earlier in his career

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Pedro was the best finisher at the club for a while. Shame we didn't get him a touch earlier in his career

Very true. He's become very underrated on here, I'm afraid.

Ham   
2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Pedro was the best finisher at the club for a while. 

Currently it's Alonso. 

GURJ SS   

Team is too defensive and lacking creativity, Zouma, Kante and James in for Christensen, Jorginho and Odoi is a huge step towards less passing and attack. If Southampton press us we could get boxed in and see some loose passes under pressure close to our goals.

Hope I'm wrong and Tuchel has a plan, but I'm not confident with that lineup.

Faramir   
15 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

image.png.712c75be7f6b3a443e46ea8aba34000d.png

So does Kante Jorginho or Kovacic get dropped when we play AM?  Wait and see I guess.
I would expect a lot of possession, and if Kova is marked he'll be head down dribbling half the game in no particular direction and for no particular cause.
That puts a lot of pressure on Rudiger and Azpi to actually use the ball.

If we score early and can sit, that is fine.  Otherwise it could be a long wait for Jorginho to come on.

Mount Werner and Abraham - is precisely what I would expect for AM.  So I am a little surprised they are all playing today.  On the other hand all three look like they want to play 65 games a season and at least 2 games every week so maybe they are already pencilled in for AM now.  In which case I'm pleased TT has a first choice team worked out, and he won't have any trouble from Pulisic, Giroud, Havertz, and Ziyech until we have a run of bad results.

AM - 12.30 is AM as far as I am concerned.  Far too early.

Very much agree with the bolded bits.

I'm hoping a Kante-Kovacic midfield is successful today.

Looks as strong a Southampton line up as they could put out. Not sure about TT’s selection for me. 

BT commentators saying how poor their form is and how we’ve had a perfect February. 

Fates are aligning - oh no!

Edit: And Anthony ‘send the Chelsea player off’ Taylor reffing!! 😤

Edited by East Lower