• Current Donation Goals

On 18.2.2021 at 1:01 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Let's hope Chopper doesn't see this.

The Maka position existed for decades, no one bothered to give it a special name though.

Of course the Maka position has existed for decades, I do not believe anyone is actually disputing that? "Ensconcing" the position in the English football lexicon does not mean you invented the position. IBM invented the smartophone, Apple ensconced it (I think I just found a new hipster word to use). 

Just to give a little substance to why the Kante comparisons is wide off the mark. Makelele was just on another level with the ball, and without the ball I really do not believe it is close either. Makelele was different. 

• Like 1

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Just to give a little substance to why the Kante comparisons is wide off the mark. Makelele was just on another level with the ball, and without the ball I really do not believe it is close either. Makelele was different. 

Great video.

I barely remember him ever getting booked either, which is remarkable for a holding midfielder. 

1 hour ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Absolutely, no slight on Kanté, but he is nowhere near a Makelele. What Maka did, apart from controlling a game with his passing (Kanté cannot do that at all for example) is to win basically all tackles cleanly but at the same time stopping an attack, winning the ball and making a pass to a free teammate in the same tackle. 

Maldini had that skill as well and that's what separates truly world class players to pretenders like Kanté and Ramires and othe rhigh energy mids.

Kanté will be remembered as a good midfielder with energy that lacked technical ability. He is essentially a better version of Ramires. Makelele is still widely regarded as one of the best defensive midfielders the game has ever seen. Kanté isn't on that level at all.

Gilmour is nearer to Maka than Kante in style .

Maka was so superior in every aspect than Kante it hurts .

24 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Great video.

I barely remember him ever getting booked either, which is remarkable for a holding midfielder. 

I watched about 3 mins of it - he'd certainly be booked for quite a few of the tackles he made there.
didn't see any decent passes.  A few dribbles out tight situations - very Kovacic like, followed by Kova like passes.

He was a great player, a useful man to play pinball with, but lets not pretend he did much more than shuffle to ball to someone else to play with.  And lets not pretend he could have played with kante's energy and affected as much of the pitch that Kante does.  
Desailly, Maka, Kante, 3 brilliant WC winners. Not sure why anyone needs to say who is best when they have never played the same role for us.

(a handful of desperate DM games for Kante aside, and I think 1 by Desailly in midfield).

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I watched about 3 mins of it - he'd certainly be booked for quite a few of the tackles he made there.
didn't see any decent passes.  A few dribbles out tight situations - very Kovacic like, followed by Kova like passes.

He was a great player, a useful man to play pinball with, but lets not pretend he did much more than shuffle to ball to someone else to play with.  And lets not pretend he could have played with kante's energy and affected as much of the pitch that Kante does.  
Desailly, Maka, Kante, 3 brilliant WC winners. Not sure why anyone needs to say who is best when they have never played the same role for us.

(a handful of desperate DM games for Kante aside, and I think 1 by Desailly in midfield).

Because it is a game of opinions, and people like to discuss these things. Nothing more to it than that.

FWIW, if I was picking my all time Chelsea team (from 91 onwards, which is when I started going), Makelele would be a shoe-in. Kante wouldn't. 

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Was that the 0-0 draw at home against AC Milan? I remember him raising his game by several levels for that one, but can't remember if he was at CB or in midfield. I just remember being stunned by his performance, and thinking "Why doesn't he play like this ever game?" It's fair to say, that, good as he was in his time with us, we generally did not see the best of him.

As for the Maka/ Kanté comparisons, I agree that Maka was a class above in terms of his technique, but agree with Droy that he was not the greatest passer. Probably better than Kanté, but as Droy also says, Maka never possessed Kanté's speed, energy or ability to cover vast areas of the pitch.

2 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Was that the 0-0 draw at home against AC Milan? I remember him raising his game by several levels for that one, but can't remember if he was at CB or in midfield. I just remember being stunned by his performance, and thinking "Why doesn't he play like this ever game?" It's fair to say, that, good as he was in his time with us, we generally did not see the best of him.

I was really thinking of a game where he was pushed into midfield and came off telling the press that that was his last game as a midfielder.  I don't think it went well.

8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

FWIW, if I was picking my all time Chelsea team (from 91 onwards, which is when I started going), Makelele would be a shoe-in. Kante wouldn't. 

Kante wouldn’t even make the bench in mine. A 25 man squad? Sure, on the fringes. 

4 hours ago, Backbiter said:

As for the Maka/ Kanté comparisons, I agree that Maka was a class above in terms of his technique, but agree with Droy that he was not the greatest passer. Probably better than Kanté, but as Droy also says, Maka never possessed Kanté's speed, energy or ability to cover vast areas of the pitch.

Well he didn’t need to. He read the game instead of running away losing your position and giving the opposition acres of space to operate in. 

His passing game was definitely better than Kante. But he was no Fabregas sure.