• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

HOW CLAUDE Makelele CHANGED English FOOTBALL

To my surprise, there was no Makelele thread in the archives when I searched. The official site posted a small tribute to Maka, a player I personally consider as one of the best and most elite players in football history. Only fitting that a thread is made in his name. 

He played in one of the best teams we have had, but the guy himself was one of the major reasons why it was one of the best. Probably lifted the careers of both JT and Lampard like no other player could have. I love Kante, but the comparisons with Makelele are lazy and do not do either justice. Makelele was unique, and simply a different breed in my view. 

Would love to hear the views of the Chelsea fans on how they viewed Makelele. 

Edited by Ibn Battuta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaneB   
10 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Let's hope Chopper doesn't see this.

The Maka position existed for decades, no one bothered to give it a special name though.

Don’t shoot the messenger 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JaneB said:

Don’t shoot the messenger 🙄

It'd only go high and wide of the mark like everything else ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Don’t shoot the messenger 🙄

No of course not you.
But we have seen a series of naive themes by the Chelsea website team.  From Lampard the great player of youth just as we have virtually stopped playing kids before 2 year loans, to TT the man with a plan, and now Maka the man who invented defensive midfielders.

I think if the club want to celebrate his 48th birthday for some reason, they could at least do a bit more than a 16 year old quote and a reference of Kante as being the modern Maka (we all know what is wrong with that).  He is actually working at Cobham - why don't they get a current quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

No of course not you.
But we have seen a series of naive themes by the Chelsea website team.  From Lampard the great player of youth just as we have virtually stopped playing kids before 2 year loans, to TT the man with a plan, and now Maka the man who invented defensive midfielders.

I think if the club want to celebrate his 48th birthday for some reason, they could at least do a bit more than a 16 year old quote and a reference of Kante as being the modern Maka (we all know what is wrong with that).  He is actually working at Cobham - why don't they get a current quote.

You really do suck the joy out of every conversation you enter. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
2 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

HOW CLAUDE Makelele CHANGED English FOOTBALL

To my surprise, there was no Makelele thread in the archives when I searched. The official site posted a small tribute to Maka, a player I personally consider as one of the best and most elite players in football history. Only fitting that a thread is made in his name. 

He played in one of the best teams we have had, but the guy himself was one of the major reasons why it was one of the best. Probably lifted the careers of both JT and Lampard like no other player could have. I love Kante, but the comparisons with Makelele are lazy and do not do either justice. Makelele was unique, and simply a different breed in my view. 

Would love to hear the views of the Chelsea fans on how they viewed Makelele. 

Agree 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
7 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

You really do suck the joy out of every conversation you enter. 

I'm tempted to test how far he'd go to be contrary by putting it out there that I personally consider Messi to be a better footballer than Jermain Jenas. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   

Loved Lord Claude........was brilliant at what he did. Positional discipline in that role, I have never seen the likes of it. Always had a smile on his face too. Zidane knew his value, even if RM didn't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now