• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Manchester United 0

Ham   
12 minutes ago, sharve25_blueheart said:

Tuchel just called it a ‘high quality’ game. 

It was, until the final ball/shot. 

Diddymen   

We desperately need a fabregas type player because at the moment our midfield is struggling to create anything of note 

Are we a top team yet?  Still can't say.  We keep it tight, keep the result close, and are generally half a goal better than the oppo.  Sometimes that means a win, sometimes a draw - one of each this week.
Conte turned that into a title win, but then he had Costa and Hazard.  Without Costa we finished 23 points lower in 5th, because when you play that percentage game, a few extra goals makes a lot of difference.

It is going to be a challenging season.  Not least because we will be playing to the final whistle every game, I can't see us going 2 up at h/t and coasting for a long while.  Every opponent know they are still in with a shout.  With this style a lot will depend on Haaland or Werner coming right.

Another game, another set of excellent individual performances all around.  Technique wise, attitude wise, pattern wise and defence wise, this looks like a different squad (even without Silva).

Puzzled by some of the comments.  I thought Ziyech was pretty good.  Kante was excellent.

The set up creates a ton of space for the WBs, especially the RWB.  So while both CHO and James are doing well with the opportunities they are getting, we have to remember that a lot of effort battling in the middle areas goes into dragging the FBs in and creating that space out wide.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

100%, surprised some are doubting it.

Only reason it's not a penalty is it was not a clear and obvious mistake.

How does VAR give the decision back to the ref and asks "did you make a clear and obvious mistake"?
It is a ridiculous question to ask.  I mean none of us on here ever make mistakes.

28 minutes ago, East Lower said:

That was as bad a game of football to watch as I’ve seen in a long, long time. 

We play ‘low risk’ football under this manager and it’s a damning inditement of the PL that we’ve just watched that poor display from both sides. 

TT needs to win more matches if we are going to get top four. Nasty games away from home coming up. 

Well we say in the first Man U game and the Sevilla 0-0  what happens when this team is asked to play really negatively.
I thought this 0-0 was much more entertaining, and that we were much better balanced in terms of finding attacking routes without giving away chances to counter-attack.
I'd say both teams have come on a long way since the first game.

But I agree, it would be nice to see us put 3 or 4 past some team soon - and said so before the game.

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But I agree, it would be nice to see us put 3 or 4 past some team soon - and said so before the game.

Liverpool it is then ...

Well we look solid enough and concede very few chances. That’s a definite improvement. Midfield looks better but lacks creativity. It’s the lack of composure or finesse upfront that’s worrying. We created some decent openings today. The Giroud diving header, the Hudson-Odoi shot, and probably the best chance which Ziyech shot at the keeper. Otherwise we were pretty wasteful, and looked desperate at times. 

Not sure starting with Ziyech and Giroud was the right call. It seemed to play into their hands. Think their back line would rather not have had to face Werner and Pulisic with their pace. I thought Giroud was awful. Everyone else was sort of okay. Rudiger, Mount and Christensen pick of our players. James put in some decent crosses when he came on. Chilwell didn’t do much wrong. It was all a bit flat though. Tuchel played safe, hoped for a sneaky win. At least we didn’t lose. We could’ve done with the three points though. 

Edited by Original 21

Ham   
12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Liverpool it is then ...

They'll locate their mojo during the week, mark my words. 

Disappointing as a win would have opened things up nicely. That been said I was getting irritated losing to them playing counter attacking home and away and glad we are playing with a bit more nous against them.

Setting aside Giroud’s wonder goal when was the last time someone produced that moment of magic to turn a draw into a win. Feels a long time ago.

Under Lampard we were scoring for fun, but were leaking goals galore, now can't score unless it's a pen or a wonder goal...10 goals in 9 games under TT, stop the passing around at the back and move the ball quicker might help

Rob B   
58 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

We could do with better attackers. But we could also stop sitting back after we've won the ball. Big teams attack you straight away. That is your best moment. Why wait for your opponent to reorganis Makes no sense.

When we are attacking, we are not quick to support the man with the ball. Other teams do it better. We can't create chances playing at one speed. 

Yep this is spot on.

Our ability to win the ball back is exceptional - we press really well, but when we win it, we play far too safely - often sideways or backwards. 

It’s like we try to create the perfect opportunity and don’t play enough lower percentage balls (I.e. risks)  or try and beat people 1v1. Chilwell/Alonso/James make up 75% of our wingbacks under TT and none of them commit a man 1v1 or make the run in behind. 

Furthermore, our midfield seriously lacks flair and that killer ball (as good as they are in other areas) and Giroud just doesn’t provide enough in his all round play to lead the line for a team of our aspirations.  He’s not mobile or fast enough and doesn’t pull defenders out of position. 

If TT wants to persist with this formation, he needs to have 2 players in that midfield 4 who are an attacking threat.  Either both WBs (eg playing CHO and Pulisic as your wide players). Or one winger and one central player eg Mount deeper.